Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
How are both of these earbuds when making phone calls in the wind? Or using dictation in the wind, which I do all the time? I haven't seen a review cover this yet!
There's been a few wind tests posted on YT.

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
For what it’s worth, I just upgraded from APP to the APP2 and the ANC is much better. Do not know if it’s twice better as Apple claims, but it is very good. The sound quality, especially the mids and bass, are also much better as well. I am satisfied with the purchase and feel no need to test out the new Bose, especially at fifty dollars more.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Same here - upgrade from APP1 to APP2 and ANC and sound quality is much better. Also love how the case now 'bings' when it starts charging.

Never had Bose, so can't tell.

Reactions: davidf18

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
This review is hilarious. The ANC and sound quality on the Bose is so far ahead of the AirPods Pro 2 it's not even close. The ANC on the QCII earbuds is better than on my Sony XM5, which is pretty much staggering for in-ear buds. I also had my wife compare the AirPods Pro 2 to the Bose QCII earbuds and she couldn't believe the difference, either.

Anyway, if you want the best sound quality/ANC, you go with the Bose. If you want the seamless transition between different devices/smaller case/wireless charging/mic quality, you go with AirPods Pro 2. For me, ANC + sound quality (bass is miles ahead of Apple's) trumps all, so Bose it is. I use my AirPods Gen 3 for calls. The AirPods Pro 2 got sent back.
Agree with sound and ANC comments but I also had QC2 and returned as the volume adjustment just did n't work - too sensitive and resulted in changing through the ANC settings. Also ANC had a continuous loud hiss unlike the APP 2

Reactions: WannaGoMac

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
The Ability for the Air Pods Pro to detect which device to connect to, based on what you pick up to use.. ie. macbook, ipad or iphone is just excellent. I love this feature.

Reactions: com.B and tmoerel

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Agree with sound and ANC comments but I also had QC2 and returned as the volume adjustment just did n't work - too sensitive and resulted in changing through the ANC settings. Also ANC had a continuous loud hiss unlike the APP 2
Interesting you feel that way. I don’t doubt your experience but I find much more hiss with the APP2. Volume controls work great for me once I got used to them (15 seconds) on the Bose. If you just swipe they work great. If you hold down it invokes Siri or switches ANC. I really like that I can play/pause/next track/previous track/volume control all on the QCII. The APP2 are way too finnicky to adjust volume in that you actually have to spend the time to grab the stem.

Both good earbuds but the QCII is a revelation to me. Wasn’t expecting to be so blown away, but here we are.

Reactions: NightFlight

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The Ability for the Air Pods Pro to detect which device to connect to, based on what you pick up to use.. ie. macbook, ipad or iphone is just excellent. I love this feature.
Can’t argue with this. It’s a major feature for many. Priorities will vary for users.

Reactions: zapmymac

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I've asked this before and don't remember receiving a reply: Why do reviews like this continue to state that there is no EQ available for the AirPods? There is no dedicated EQ app, but both the Music settings on iPhone and the Music app in MacOS have equalizer menus (the latter is quite tunable too).... What am I missing?
I’m unable to tweak the eq. Am I holding it wrong?

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
This review is hilarious. The ANC and sound quality on the Bose is so far ahead of the AirPods Pro 2 it's not even close. The ANC on the QCII earbuds is better than on my Sony XM5, which is pretty much staggering for in-ear buds. I also had my wife compare the AirPods Pro 2 to the Bose QCII earbuds and she couldn't believe the difference, either.

Anyway, if you want the best sound quality/ANC, you go with the Bose. If you want the seamless transition between different devices/smaller case/wireless charging/mic quality, you go with AirPods Pro 2. For me, ANC + sound quality (bass is miles ahead of Apple's) trumps all, so Bose it is. I use my AirPods Gen 3 for calls. The AirPods Pro 2 got sent back.

I also find that the Sony WF1000XM4 is noticeably better than the APP 2 in both noise cancelling and sound quality. Apple wins out in transparency mode and call clarity

I own both btw

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Battery in my AirPods died recently.
Was looking at getting new ones.
Went to buy a wall mount for my TV and noticed they sold black wireless earbuds with a charging case for $9.
Didnt expect much, but they actually sound really good and are really easy to use.
No way I'll ever spends hundreds on AirPods again.
The microphones may be comparable too, as Apple uses some of the cheapest, lowest quality microphones in the industry, And as usual zero objective microphone testing, or any objective sound quality testing at all in an MR article.

Yes you do have a way of "actually quantifying how much better."

For Example:

That is how objective testing is done.

HorstBockman

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2022
In case it wasn't clear in the video, the fact that AirPods Pro lack EQ is not a feature. And while we're on the subject, EQ in Apple Music is not good enough for those who would like all AirPods Pro audio regulated by EQ settings. The Accessibility settings allow some modifications, but they're not granular enough to be called EQ yet suffice to demonstrate Apple could provide EQ if it wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I also find that the Sony WF1000XM4 is noticeably better than the APP 2 in both noise cancelling and sound quality. Apple wins out in transparency mode and call clarity

I own both btw
Yep, can’t argue with that assessment. Apple does some great things with the APP2, but as ANC earbuds they’re not that great. If people are not used to some fantastic ANC though they will be happy and not know what they’re missing.

My wife’s jaw dropped when she went from the APP2 to the Bose QC II earbuds. I had our SNOOZ white noise machine on at near full volume 4 feet from her and the sound just disappeared nearly completely. Bose has worked some sorcery here.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Ateam043

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015

You lost me the moment you said Bose has better sound quality. Personally, Sony and Sennheiser sound leaps better than Bose.

• Disagree
Reactions: NightFlight

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I remember when Bose was the absolute best in noise cancellation.
Most reviewers say they still are better than the airpods pro. At the end the day I'm sure both are more than sufficient for most users.

Most of the time I'm using them I want to hear whats going on around me and I believe airpods pro are the king of transparency mode, so probably rather have that then slightly less ANC anyway.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
You know, I’ve always loved the sound of Apple’s earphones, even the ones that shipped with the original iPhone and on up. They have a great, even, neutral sound. I would try others - even higher-end ones from Bose and Shure - but would always go back to the $30 wired set.

When I bought the first-gen AirPods, the clarity was a bit surprising, in a good way. More convenient without lacking any of the quality of the wired buds.

The AirPods and AirPods Pro are hard to beat. Apple may not always make the best of any given product (though they often do, arguably), but the integration and functionality make it hard to look elsewhere, especially when, in this case, they’re cheaper than Bose’s offering. I’m surprised they weren’t priced cheaper to better compete, but I suppose they thought about that.

Bose made a killer compact CD player back in the day, but I’ve always been disappointed in their headsets.

Reactions: bcollett

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
My AirPods Pro 1’s keep falling out. My QC 1’s never have. So I say the latter’s guaranteed snug fit design makes them acceptable to a larger (literally) audience. Being otherwise an all-apple guy, I do miss the H chip magic when using the Boses’ but I have had my share of hiccups with the H1 chip as well, so pressing a button inside the case or using the app to switch is not THAT much of a deal either.
So, Bose it is. Would have upgraded to v2 right away if it weren’t for Bose dropping wireless charging for some dumb reason.
Foam tips are great for AirPo Pros, finally got them to stay in my ears. More comfortable as well. I use the Comply Premium Earphone Tips, but there are many other brands. They have to be replaced every so often, but it’s totally worth it to me.

waterfta

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
Same here. Bose's sound quality is horrendous.

The only thing they have going for them is ANC. That is exactly why the NFL uses Bose.
have you used these new earbuds or are you just making blanket statements based on your feelings in the past? Bose doesn't hit it out of the park every time, but they aren't awful either. Plus, this review isn't just comparing every available earbuds out there as my favorite sound usually comes from Shure...this is just Apple vs Bose at the moment..

Reactions: jimmy_uk and SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.