(video) are iBooks (and most other PPC macs collecable?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cammykool, Jun 9, 2015.

1. cammykool macrumors regular

One of my favorite youtubers for tech is TheiBookGuy he posted a video about iBooks and collecability and where they stand

Here is a link to it:

he makes some valid points. like now is the time to build a collection as prices are about as low as they are gonna get and the only place they can go now is up!

i currently have 2 collectable computers a Google CR-48 and my PowerBook G4 aluminum.

What do you feel are they collectables yet?

2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I feel that my PowerBook 540(1993) is collectable but the PowerBook G4 Aluminium version is far from collectible(IMO).

This thread makes me want to get a clamshell now...

3. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

i know the CR48 is collectable and io know the PowerBook isnt but like your 1993 powerpc apple device s this may be avery collectable in 10 years or so

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is NOT why I buy PowerPC Macs.

I buy them because I use them for specific purposes.

I'm ok with collectors making money off this, although my approval or disapproval doesn't matter at all. I'm NOT ok with false representation. There's a type of seller out there who preys on the ignorance of buyers and makes a lot of bank because the uninformed buyer thinks they are getting a modern Mac for a rock bottom price. Then they find out they can't run Yosemite or El Capitan or Mavericks, or even Snow Leopard. Those are the sellers charging $500 for PowerBooks and over $1000 for dual processor G5s (because, you know they look like MacPros).

All of this said, keep one thing in mind. The pool of available mint/good condition Macs (collectible or not) is started to get very shallow. Apple made a lot of these Macs, but the amount was not infinite. And more and more it's getting harder to find PowerPC Macs that aren't damaged or otherwise compromised in some way.

That factor is probably what is going to drive up the price for "collectors". If you can find a decent Mac that is "collectable".

5. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

When i bought my PBG4 i planned to play all of my vintage games on it like DIablo 2 and such but Blizzard pulled the OSX installers for them so now its just a web surfing machine with the intent of putting it up when it cant do absolutely anything anymore to sell when they gain value.

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I'd just look for something that is near mint condition as possible, with box and disks etc.

Personally, collecting for investment purposes is totally alien to me - I buy to use or at least to own and marvel at.

The downside is that as collectors scoop as many potential collectables as possible, prices rise and people who specifically look for a 'redundant' device for budget reasons find they are priced out.

All inevitable of course!

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'll admit it-I'm a collector. It's genetic. Yes, I have a bunch of PPC Macs and even use quite a few of them on a daily basis.

At this point, G4s and G5s are at the bottom of the "value" curve(Cubes possibly excepted-I see them going back up). I have spent a lot of time fleshing out my collection of G4s and-as anyone who has followed my threads knows-I feel like I've done a pretty decent job of it. I don't know who else would spend months looking for the cheapest, lowest end, crummiest, half baked PowerMac G4 just because he didn't have one in his collection.

At the same time, I enjoy using my computers and squeezing as much as I can on them. That's why I've dumped a bunch of money into things like processor and GPU upgrades.

I desperately want a TAM also, although watching prices I don't think they've started climbing yet so am hoping to pick one up for decent price.

68K Macs are starting to appreciate, and in all honesty the two I have(SE and Q700) are more curiosities than anything. I do enjoy firing up the SE with System 6 and playing some old 68K games, but that's about the extent of it. My working HD20 is probably the single most valuable piece I have :)

As a collector, not everything I buy is practical. As many of you know, I also collect American pocket watches(a glance at my name on here and avatar might give some indication of that). Just today, I dropped $1500 on a watch that I'll probably never wear and may wind once or twice a year. Even so, it's a great all original example of a 150 year watch of which probably 300 examples were made, so I'm happy to get it.

8. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

I "collect" in the sense that I buy machines that interest me (be it from a design, capability, or quirkiness standpoint) and that I enjoy tinkering with, even if I don't have a real use for them. I don't collect as an investment, and I don't collect with the goal of turning around and making a profit. To me, that's what collecting really means. I collect computers, new and old videogames, records, etc. not to be "cool" or for status or wealth, but out of passion.

I suppose with that in mind, I'd say something is collectible when most of the people buying it aren't doing so to use it as originally intended, but are doing so out of nostalgia, for fun, etc. So for the iBook G3 Clamshell for example, I'd guess most people aren't buying it to really work with it (though I know some of you do!), but to tinker with. In that case, I'd say it's probably collectible.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The whole "profit" and "value" thing has been discussed ad nauseum in the watch collecting world(watch collecting is a lot more mature than Mac collecting, just by virtue of the fact that it's been around since before Steve Jobs was born!).

I buy what I want, but at the same time I try to buy "smart." In other words, I try to be mindful of(roughly) current market prices and try not to overpay-or at least not too much!

At the same time, however, I'll happily pounce on a deal even on something I'm not really interested in at well below market price just because I know I can make money on it-and that money gets turned into other purchases for my collection.

I have some watches in my collection that I've actually bought for absolute steal prices(one of my favorites was about 1/3 under market value when I bought it, and it's only gone up since then) but keep them because the watch is an integral part of my collection and something I don't conceivably see myself parting with unless I found myself in dire financial straits.

So, again, I don't advise collecting for investment, but don't be stupid either.

10. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

Oh I absolutely agree, that can definitely be an important aspect of collecting! I was more referring to the type of person that solely cares about cash value, or the types that hoard or buy up as many of an item as they can, and then try to resell them for exuberant prices. But "flipping", especially in the computer market, can be beneficial to collecting; fixing up cheaply acquired items and selling them for a profit not only gives the collector more money to grow his collection with, but puts more working, usable examples back out into the marketplace. And also, I don't mean to imply that value isn't something to be proud of or consider when collecting. I'm proud of how cheaply I got this iBook G4 I've been playing with, for example. But some people seem to only care about having something valuable, with no appreciation for the item itself. I think that's silly.

11. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I love the iBookGuy! Anyway, I'll share my thoughts on this. I'm a collector, I will admit that. However, every Mac that I collect has a purpose. I also collect because I enjoy using old tech, and taking a step back into the time these systems were the best in their class. As the iBookGuy said, Apple products will always become collectable, because they are unique and different from all the generic Dells for example.

Just my two cents that I fed into this.

12. cammykool thread starter macrumors regular

I bought my pbg4 for Diablo 2 and StarCraft. With the notion of selling it when it appreciates. Same with the cr-48

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't think the iBooks are the best PPC Macs to collect. iMac G4s on the other hand... :D

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@cammykool If you plan on selling or trading the CR-48 then shoot me a PM and I am sure I can work out a good offer for you...

While The iBook Guy has a point that iBook G4s are probably never going to appreciate to the point of Clamshells, I am sure that a collector would want to purchase more rare and useful models. If I wanted an iBook G4 for my collection and I was a collector, I would hunt for a 1.42 GHz 14" model.

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Or a 1.33 12". The design is identical to the earlier models and the price difference is very little.

With the Clamshells though, an original 1999 Tangerine or Blueberry model still has a lot of appeal to collectors. The same is true with the Bondi Mac G3 which is actually more appealing than later models due to rarity and significance. I have one of each, although I'm still looking for a new DC-in board for my dead Clamshell.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If only iMac G3s were a little lighter then I would have some here. The shipping vs. value of the machine is what kills me.

17. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I was lucky enough to find all my iMac G3s (and eMacs) at thrift stores. They show up there from time to time and are relatively cheap.

I agree I would never purchase one from eBay due to the cost of shipping.

18. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That's my problem right there. There are no thrift stores where I live, so my only option is eBay. Shipping is crazy expensive, although I did find an original Bondi Blue tray-loader for 40$ shipping included.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've been given a couple of iMac G3s and bought a few more off Craigslist. They're fun, but honestly I don't see myself with a whole lot of them just because of the space they take up.

I also really need to try and get my Rev. A Bondi Blue working.

20. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I'm re-configuring my desk so I can make room for a CRT AIO Mac or something. Also, What's wrong with it??

21. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

$40 shipping included for a Bondi isn't bad at all. I must feel a bit sorry for the seller though, since they wouldn't be getting much of that price.
    Mine's a Rev. B, which can take more RAM and has a better GPU, but is otherwise identical to the Rev. A. It does work, but I haven't powered it up in almost a year.

22. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think the PSU or flyback. It will power up and chime, but kicks off as soon as you hear the CRT start to fire.

23. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I would have bought it, I've always wanted a G3 iMac but It sold quickly

24. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I've got 5 of them and know what you mean. They're fun to collect because of all the different colors and generations, but I don't think I could take in any more.

25. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Yeah, I had to kinda get away from picking up desktops for that reason. iBooks and PowerBooks are nice because they can be stacked, lined up on a bookshelf and don't cost near as much if you have to buy online. At this point I've pretty much got every Mac I plan on owning, so unless its a super deal that I pick up in person, I have managed to stay away from growing the collection over the last year or so.