Video - Black iPhone Anodized coating more durable then I expected

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Sep 23, 2012.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I was in my local AT&T store and decided to do a little scratch test with the display model. I scratched hard with my finger nails, and also scraped it VERY hard along the edge of the iPhone display. To my surprise there was NO damage whatsoever. Until I did this, I was very scared to even try and snap a case around it in fear that it would chip off or scratch. I am now very confident that this coating is no where near as delicate as people are making it out to be. Now, if it drops on concrete, or has hard metal to metal contact, I'm sure it will scrape…But so will anything else.

I know this video is pretty lame. I was trying to video it and not be too obvious about it. The store was packed and there were a lot people trying to look at the iPhone. And I am pretty sure the employees wouldn't appreciate me trying to damage the new device. But I was so curious to test how durable it really was. And I am convinced that this coating will hold up very, very well with normal usage.

http://youtu.be/GxFx3xktAbQ

2. Gavernty macrumors 6502

interesting, gives me more confidence to get one

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I'm sorry, that's just not cool. Ask a store employee to show you a scratch test, but don't just wander in and try to cause damage.

4. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Thank you for posting this :)

Once I get my black one replaced with a non-damaged one from Apple I have confidence in the coating.

Relax, if anything he saved me (and probably many others) from going into Apple and trying this myself :p

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So basically you made a video of yourself committing a crime.... Awesome!

Sorry but you're not some kind of consumer advocate you're a criminal.

6. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yeah, I know it wasn't too cool. But I had to check. And I think it'll help potential buyers considering black. It didn't do any damage AT ALL, anyway, so everyone's happy.

7. doc shivers macrumors member

smh, you really feel sorry for at&t? get a life.

8. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I am completely relaxed. Reclining, actually.

The fact remains that trying to damage something you don't own is wrong.

9. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yeah, I am such a criminal. I went and robbed a bank after I left. I'll be posting that video shortly. :rolleyes:

10. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Don't worry about these guys above. If anything you actually saved Apple from more people trying to rub off the coating. Thanks again for posting this :)

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No, I don't feel sorry for AT&T.

What if I was curious about the durability of your car's paint job? You'd be ok with me testing that out?

12. ThePreditor macrumors member

That's what happens when you buy into the BS on these forums. You are SURPRISED when the "issue" is actually not an issue.

13. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I highly doubt that. In fact, I think many of the people in this thread would probably want to see if they got the same results.

Kids today. :rolleyes:

14. ThePreditor macrumors member

This as well. That phone has been handled PLENTY in the last few days. No need to try to beat it up yourself.

----------

Careful, the mods get their panties in a bunch about calling posters "kids".

15. AFDoc macrumors 68030

A criminal act is a criminal act. Vandalism of property that does not belong to you is a crime. I see you're trying to justify that criminal act by saying you didn't rob a bank but that doesn't matter.... You committed a crime.

What a surprise, BMD doesn't have an issue with vandalizing other's property.

Respecting other's property isn't being on a high horse, it's called basic common decency and respect for others. Not a very hard concept to grasp IMHO.

16. freddyp23 macrumors newbie

Get off your high horse, my god

17. Mr. RPG macrumors 6502a

Guys relax, it isn't like he banged up the phone or stole it.

Thanks for the video, but I would have liked to see how the backing of the phone fared as well.

18. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Please…Those display models get beat to hell within a few weeks. They are never meant to be sold. All i did was try to scratch the band. And I really have no regrets about doing it. I paid a lot of money for my phone. And if people are saying they scuff easily, and apple didn't warn me prior to selling it, I believe I have a right to test it out that way. I tested it, it held up without a single spec of damage, and I feel much better about it.

19. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

actually, before I started recording I scratched on the back plate with a dime. It looked like it scratched at first, but it was just a surface scratch that wiped right off with my finger. Didn't leave a single mark. I was never really worried about the back, but yes, it held up perfectly.

20. YungMoola94, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012

YungMoola94 macrumors regular

21. doc shivers macrumors member

if you don't feel sorry for AT&T then you shouldn't have a problem with this.

22. nickm81us macrumors member

nickm81us

Interesting test, that's great to know. It was kinda difficult to see the damage (or lack of) in that video, but it's good to know that the black 5 has been put through its paces.

I can't imagine the phones slated as floor models aren't complete write-offs for the carriers anyway, I wouldn't cry too much for them.

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If you believe you had every right, then I am not going to change your mind. But ask yourself this... Why try to do it on the sly if there was absolutely nothing wrong with your actions?

You've already stated a couple of times in this thread that the employees wouldn't have liked it, and that it wasn't cool. You don't need me to tell you, so I'll stop. ;)

24. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

I feel more confident in my black iPhone 5 lol.

25. sulpfiction, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012

sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Your welcome. It helped me tremendously! I was seriously considering returning black for white because I couldn't deal with a ton of scratches of nicks in the band. But now, I have no worries at all. I take care of my phone so I am pretty sure I'll never have an issue.