MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cross-platform video transcoder Handbrake reached a milestone over the holiday break with the release of version 1.0.0 of the app after over 13 years in beta.

Despite the lengthy beta-test format and the demise of the built-in DVD drive in Apple's Mac line-up, the free open source transcoder has remained the go-to application for converting video files for playback on iOS devices and Apple TVs.

presets.jpg

The program has stood the test of time thanks to its ease of use, vast array of options for more advanced users, and extensive video format support.

Version 1 brings a raft of new tools to the Mac version of the app, with updated presets for the latest devices and a number of interface improvements and added settings to keep the app relevant and broaden its appeal. The new features include:

- Updated all tooltips
- Added undo/redo support to the graphical interface
- Improved drag and drop support
- Added Open Recent to the File menu
- Added Add Titles to Queue... to the File menu (batch queueing)
- Preview prompts to open in an external application when the internal player does not support the format
- Preview now displays volume and audio/subtitles language selection during playback
- Picture and Filters settings are now part of the main window
- Settings are preserved when selecting a new title (instead of reloading the last selected preset)
- Improved support for importing/exporting comma-separated (.csv) chapter markers
- Queue is now automatically paused when available disk space is low
- When Done action can now be changed directly from the Queue window
- When Done notification is now interactive (reveals the encoded file in Finder)
- Activity Log window is now searchable (press "?"+"f" to activate)
- XQuartz is no longer required for subtitle burn-in
- Updated Sparkle software update library
  - Enabled DSA signature checking for improved security
- Usability improvements
- Miscellaneous bug fixes

Handbrake is a free download available directly from the Handbrake website.

Article Link: Video Converter 'Handbrake 1.0' Released for Mac After 13 Years in Beta

Reactions: robotica and jjm3

Jason_G

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
London, UK

Cross-platform video transcoder Handbrake reached a milestone over the holiday break with the release of version 1.0.0 of the app after over 13 years in beta.

Despite the lengthy beta-test format and the demise of the built-in DVD drive in Apple's Mac line-up, the open source transcoder has remained the go-to application for converting video files for playback on iOS devices and Apple TVs.

presets.jpg

The program has stood the test of time thanks to its ease of use, vast array of options for more advance users, and extensive video format support.

Version 1 brings a raft of new tools to the Mac version of the app, with updated presets for the latest devices and a number of interface improvements and added settings to keep the app relevant and broaden its appeal.

- Updated all tooltips
- Added undo/redo support to the graphical interface
- Improved drag and drop support
- Added Open Recent to the File menu
- Added Add Titles to Queue... to the File menu (batch queueing)
- Preview prompts to open in an external application when the internal player does not support the format
- Preview now displays volume and audio/subtitles language selection during playback
- Picture and Filters settings are now part of the main window
- Settings are preserved when selecting a new title (instead of reloading the last selected preset)
- Improved support for importing/exporting comma-separated (.csv) chapter markers
- Queue is now automatically paused when available disk space is low
- When Done action can now be changed directly from the Queue window
- When Done notification is now interactive (reveals the encoded file in Finder)
- Activity Log window is now searchable (press "?"+"f" to activate)
- XQuartz is no longer required for subtitle burn-in
- Updated Sparkle software update library
- Enabled DSA signature checking for improved security
- Usability improvements
- Miscellaneous bug fixes

Handbrake is a free download available directly from the Handbrake website.

Article Link: Video Converter 'Handbrake 1.0' Released for Mac After 13 Years in Beta
[doublepost=1482842071][/doublepost]Isn't VideoMonkey better? Seems to produce smaller file sizes with same video quality if I recall.. Because it uses the FF mpeg engine?

Comment

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I wonder if I can use this to rip dvds again? I got some good ones over Christmas and want to have them on my hard drive. (No, seriously. I'm telling the truth. I'm on the internet.)

Comment

tazinlwfl

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I like Handbrake, I just use it less and less. Started using iFlicks 2 after iDentify went wonky on Sierra. iFlicks seems to take care of the basic remuxing and meta-tagging pretty well, and there are simple presets for encoding. Only problem is it costs $24 from the app store, if you don't know where else to get it.

Reactions: Jeaz and mateytate
Comment

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
[doublepost=1482842071][/doublepost]Isn't VideoMonkey better? Seems to produce smaller file sizes with same video quality if I recall.. Because it uses the FF mpeg engine?

Handbrake has an FFmpeg option as well.

I wonder if I can use this to rip dvds again? I got some good ones over Christmas and want to have them on my hard drive. (No, seriously. I'm telling the truth. I'm on the internet.)

Usually big-name movies will need to be put through something like http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ (Windows only, but it might work fine via WINE).

Reactions: V.K.
Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Can i rip copy protected DVDs? I just got a new dvd for christmas and i want it on my drive. I dont mind if there is a plugin. Even a paid plugin. I like handbrake.

Comment

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Is this "tool" still incapable of just copying the video stream instead of encoding it completely? Sometimes I just need to encode the audio stream..

Comment

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Now they need to start working on their documentation, because that's still in early alpha stage from the looks of it.

Comment

JTR555

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
Virginia
I used the Beta all the time until it stopped working on Mac because it wasn't compatible with Sierra (or maybe it was El Capitan when the compatibility issues began.) I ripped my entire DVD library with it so I have them all in my iTunes now and I can play them on my Apple TV.
[doublepost=1482844838][/doublepost]
Can i rip copy protected DVDs? I just got a new dvd for christmas and i want it on my drive. I dont mind if there is a plugin. Even a paid plugin. I like handbrake.

The way this worked in Beta pre-El Capitan was so long as you had a libdvdcss.dll file on your Mac it would decode the copy protection (which is what is needed to playback DVDs on any platform) and allow Handbrake to rip it.

Comment

squirrelist

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I used the Beta all the time until it stopped working on Mac because it wasn't compatible with Sierra (or maybe it was El Capitan when the compatibility issues began.) I ripped my entire DVD library with it so I have them all in my iTunes now and I can play them on my Apple TV.
[doublepost=1482844838][/doublepost]

The way this worked in Beta pre-El Capitan was so long as you had a libdvdcss.dll file on your Mac it would decode the copy protection (which is what is needed to playback DVDs on any platform) and allow Handbrake to rip it.

The old location for libdvdcss got protected by SIP in 10.11. There is a different folder that is sanctioned that it can be manually moved to that works just fine. Search Google for specifics.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It's open source, so what's 1.0 really mean anyways? It's not like there's some organization behind it that's guaranteeing support or stability or anything, is there?

Reactions: duervo
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.