Video Depicts Likely Fake iPhone X-Style 'iPhone SE 2'

JCCL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I agree with others. Just and iPhone X with a SE like modded housing, or even just a bumper style case. Nothing to see here

loftiness

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
was pointed out to me as well that the screen + UI size is same as X. the bumper case/custom sides is a weak possibility since it looks physically smaller than the current X, the bezel looks like iPhone 4 (which I love). If you put 2017 X in even a thin bumper it would look bigger.

If it's modded enclosure, that's an extremely well done job, imagine the work going into reshaping or reproducing a new enclosure to fit the existing screen??

Given the size, pretty sure this is leak of 2018 flagship iPhone now (are they gonna call it XI? XS?), not the SE replacement.

Personally if I didnt already have X would've loved this new form factor.

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
I'm pretty sure this is a fake. I do UI/UX design work and notice small details. The lock icon at the top doesn't unlock when he swipes up. On my iPhone X the icon does a quick unlock animation before it opens unless it is already unlocked from looking at it. I did a frame by frame and it looks like the lock stays locked when he swipes up. It also didn't blur out the lock screen and have "Face ID" text on the display while unlocking. It's a fake.
It actually does the unlock animation later in the video, FWIW.

edit --

Never considered it until some of the other posters mentioned it, but they're right -- it could be an iPhone X in a case. I don't know why I didn't consider that before.

Reactions: macduke

Achillias

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
This can't be an android clone. I've never seen an android iPhone clone with that kind of small bezels.

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "Later in 2018, Apple is expected to introduce a second-generation iPhone X with a 5.8-inch OLED display, an "iPhone X Plus" with a 6.5-inch display, and a lower-cost iPhone with a 6.1-inch LCD display. All three of these are expected to adopt edge-to-edge displays with minimal bezels and the TrueDepth Camera system for Face ID."

If they don't include 10-bit color "capture" & "display" they will be DOA !

If they don't include Rec. 2100 support they will be DOA !

Rec. 2100 is needed for 1080p HD HDR, and in particular, with ICtCp !

The PQ & HLG pieces are already (somewhat) in place @ Apple.

Also, if NO Hardware Home Button, if they don't include at least 4 GB of DRAM, they will be DOA !

If they are priced above ~$650 USD, they may NOT be DOA, but they will NOT me a mass market success story !

By their Delay, Apple has Opened the Door to a whole slew of smartphones from China !

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
mmm looks real to me, go back and watch the UI closely. @Editors did you folks even watch the video before saying "There is no indication that the device in the video is a valid Apple product at all", because it doesn't match what you already know? Come on, I expected better on this site.

If this is an android copy, it's copying iOS so well and it's essentially indistinguishable, look at the unlock animation and swipe-up animation, I just don't see a cheap android copy that look anywhere close to this. It also wouldn't make any sense since most android knockoffs are really shobby. I can't see any single UI element in this video that says it's not iOS.

So possibilities I see are:
a) This is the real new iPhone SE or, more likely the new 2018 flagship iPhone X

or this is fake:
b) really good video editing CGI compositing job
c) iPhone X disguised in a different case
d) somehow iOS 11 hacked to run on android hardware
e) an almost perfect copy of iOS UI performing on a level that's rare on android

Personally I'm betting on a)

it's just a case or a bumper. the "bumper" is so badly done. just look:
https://i.imgur.com/9zBjrnp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mVM8Lzv.jpg

and it's highly unlikely that you're allowed to use the full iOS at the moment. typically you should see: https://i.imgur.com/XROynuA.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenc

AWaffz

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2018
It looks to me like a legitimate iPhone X with a swapped chassis. While an X style SE sized phone would be nice, there's one major thing holding it back: the notch. The notch is currently way too big for adequate "ears" on either side of it. This means Apple would be forced into a more traditional design with Touch ID, which looks very out of place with the "notched future" they set up. Earliest Apple could shrink the notch is this September, delaying a bezeless SE to at least 2019.

Attachments

Reactions: loftiness

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
In other words - I can keep my money and keep waiting until Apple releases an iPhone SE X
Exactly. Many of the “fans” of the SE/5/5s design are probably getting tired of the design or will sooner rather than later. Either discontinue it or give it a proper update with a new design and FaceID by the end of the year or March 2019 at the latest.

AVEGA

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2016
Austin TX
I am 100% happy with my 8+ but I don’t know why People assume a new SE has to be a “cheap phone” . Just because SE was cheap ? Nah it doesn’t have to follow that precedent. I don’t get the idea of purposely crippling new hardware either like Apple did with the SE. SE doesn’t have 3D Touch , and has worse cameras and older Touch ID functionality. I think it will smarter to drop the SE name , drop the cheap price and just call it 8 mini or X mini and do everything the bigger phones can do but in smaller package.
i Don’t get why SE has to be a lesser phone

Reactions: H818H

Ledsteplin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I am 100% happy with my 8+ but I don’t know why People assume a new SE has to be a “cheap phone” . Just because SE was cheap ? Nah it doesn’t have to follow that precedent. I don’t get the idea of purposely crippling new hardware either like Apple did with the SE. SE doesn’t have 3D Touch , and has worse cameras and older Touch ID functionality. I think it will smarter to drop the SE name , drop the cheap price and just call it 8 mini or X mini and do everything the bigger phones can do but in smaller package.
The smaller form factor of the SE doesn't have space for the workings of some of the features the larger phones have. It's not a "lesser" iPhone, it's a lot packed into a small casing.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I don’t have an iPhone X so I have no device to test this on, but what about the case where there’s no passcode?
When there’s no passcode it doesn’t show the lock at all, as demonstrated at 2:30 and more in this video:
[doublepost=1521164966][/doublepost]
I closely examined the three times he unlocks the device in the video at .25 speed. The first time it indeed did not show the unlock, but I tried it at roughly the same timing on my iPhone X and sure enough there was no blurred screen with Face ID and no unlock animation. The 2nd time he unlocks it, it shows the unlock symbol. The 3rd time at the end of the video, it shakes the lock, showing it denied his face, presumably because it was sitting flat on the table or his camera/phone was blocking his face.

If its CGI, that some hyper accurate screen placement and reaction times, since everything he does on screen happens without delay. Quite impressive for an amateur video.

If it's a clone, that is honestly the best clone I've ever seen. Appears to be made of steel like the iPhone X, has an edge-to-edge notch'd screen, animations are 100% accurate and smooth with no hesitation, the blurs, colors, and parallax affects are accurate, and apparently has some form of working FaceID. I would also buy said clone in a heart beat just to mess with it since it looks so realistic.

I don't mean to jump the gun, but this thing looks like the real deal to me.
I had unlocked mine a bunch before posting to make sure and it never behaved this way for me. But then again I’ve not had the best Face ID experience so perhaps either my iPhone X or my face is an outlier. I just tried it a bunch more and it either does the unlock because it’s already started unlocking as I tilt it forward, or it does that little swishy animation that it’s scanning and unlocking.

I mean, I hope it is somehow real because that would be awesome and I’d be tempted to get one myself. Would probably surprise my wife with one if it’s still pretty small. But the rounded glass with the square edges seems weird to me. Idk.

Reactions: jonblatho

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The parts for the SE were chosen so Apple could make a $399 iPhone (reduced to $349 last Sept) that would also have a relatively long shelf life of 3+ years. That explains all the component choices they made: screen quality and size, 5S body re-use, front and rear camera, CPU/memory, lack of 3D Touch and barometer, etc. The fact that it was “good enough” for those who like small phones is icing on the cake.

If it doesn’t get updated this year, it likely will be next year, and just as the 6S is still a decent iPhone for $449 the SE is a decent $349 iPhone. When the SE is refreshed, the SE2 will still be positioned at the lowest end of the lineup, and ideally would get a further price cut to somewhere around $299-329.

But even at $349, the SE sells relatively few units, with installed base estimated at <5% at the end of 2017. By comparison, the roughly comparable 6S (albeit selling for 6 months longer than the SE) had an installed base estimated at 23%. Because most buyers (approx 90%) want phones larger than 4”.

Recently, with iPhone 8—and for the first time—the 5.5” Plus model is outselling the regular 4.7” model, so the trend toward larger phones is only increasing, even though they’re more expensive.

There’s just no reason to think an iPhone X “Minus” at $899(?) would sell in sufficient quantities to make it a viable offering. There will be plenty of demand for a $1,099 2018 X Plus though, with a 6.5” screen housed in the same size body as the 8 Plus. (But I doubt it will outsell the 5.8” 2018 X model.)

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
from the original source:
https://weibo.com/1926015991/G6zdF3muv?type=comment#_rnd1521145953305

assuming this pic isn't doctored, does it still look like X in a case? :p
I mean, it doesn’t look cleanly finished. The volume buttons look sunken in and the SE uses round volume buttons so that would be a change—but why keep the squared off edges with the rounded display glass fall off? It’s odd.

Only thing I can think of is Apple often puts special cases on newer a iPhone to make them look like an older iPhone. Maybe it just has round edges, if it’s somehow real, and they’re trying their best to hide it? Still, either this person has small hands or that’s just an IPhone X.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe it’s just someone hoping that releasing this will nudge Apple to get off their behinds when it comes to the SE replacement and give people a worthwhile successor, not just a phoned in minor update.

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
An iPhone SE X would be the perfect scenario, although I doubt it’s coming any time soon.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
That's just way too big to be a successor for the 'practical' iPhone.
Admittedly; the person could just have rather small hands...