Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Ars journal article points to new "Gift Video", "Buy Video", and "Add Video" icons found in the most recent release of iTunes 5.

The article blurb points to this as definitive evidence that Apple is planning a "Video Store".

More likely, these icons will be used to sell Music Videos as previously reported in July. At that time, the Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was seeking to license music videos to sell through the iTunes Music Store. The songs were expected to cost $1.99 a piece.

Apple has already started bundling music videos with some songs as far back as May of this year.

hipvictor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2004
pretty cool...

but i'm still waiting for the "buy full length feature film in high definition" icon

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Sounds more like downloadable music videos.

Apple should release a bittorrent-like iTunes protocol for handling news clips, movies and video talkshow podcasts.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I also read somewhere that there was an .ogg icon, but no support for it. Same with .wma. I really hope they release this video iPod, or at least a new iPod with more disk space because I've been iPodless for 2 weeks!

Fishes,
narco.

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
What about selling actual MOVIES? I wonder how much disk space a full length feature film would take encoded with H.264. Once the next gen DVD Players are in full swing it would be easy to burn a purchased H.264 movie to disk to play on your dvd player.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
iPod AV

What good does it do to sell music videos without the ability to watch them? iPod AV is coming. Probably next year.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Apple may now put those new Xserves to work. I still can't imagine downloading full length movies in HD over the internet connections that most people have.
Music videos are cool thing to have, so far I have about 5GB of them in iTunes.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
ryanw said:
What about selling actual MOVIES? I wonder how much disk space a full length feature film would take encoded with H.264. Once the next gen DVD Players are in full swing it would be easy to burn a purchased H.264 movie to disk to play on your dvd player.

Anyone know how much space a full lenght movie would take up encoded in H.264 ?
And is it fair to assume that is the likely form (H.264) ?

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Cool on the videos - I remember the advent of VCDs in the 80s, and there were even a couple proprietary formats that I don't think will play on any machine today. They were cool: U2, Madonna, and a few others released them. Of course, at the time regular CDs were like $30, so these were like $50, but hey, if you had the $$$ you could play music videos on your very own TV without having to tape them from MTV.

Now, if Apple would only do something with the "Ogg" icon buried in iTunes as well... :rolleyes:

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
ryanw said:

It would require a large amount of bandwith. Just encoded in H.264 720p the size of the files will become several gigabytes in size.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
i use handbrake to rip movies to my HD to put on my psp for those long nights on the night shift and if i just let it do its own thing, a sdandard def dvds main feature (the movie) gets squished to about 800MB and it looks no difrent to the origional on my 42" DLP HD rear projection TV.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
narco said:
I also read somewhere that there was an .ogg icon, but no support for it. Same with .wma. I really hope they release this video iPod, or at least a new iPod with more disk space because I've been iPodless for 2 weeks!

Fishes,
narco.

It's very late so my sarcasm detector is off but those .ogg and .wma icons have been there for ages, like iTunes 3 ages. Macworldhave an article somewhere about using iTunes and a Quicktime plugin to enable OGG playback.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Video on demand

ryanw said:

I really don't see this happening. Why "buy" movies when you will soon be able to watch "on demand" anything you want? Besides, how is Joe Consumer going to be able to backup the terabytes of data that his out of control (HD) video collection is going to take up? This is an impossible situation for the general public, not too mention expensive. By the time cost comes down enough to handle it, video on demand will be available via cable and satellite. Trying to manage a large collection of movies and TV shows is impractcial when you can just sit down on your couch, pick the movie or show, and watch it and not have to worry about it.

Movies and music are not the same. Let's face it, have you ever been over to a friends house and seen hundreds of video cassets from their recording addiction? Do they ever watch all that crap? Granted, if they could access it quickly and easily they might, but most movies or shows you will only watch a few times. Why buy them and worry about protecting them when you could just view them on demand when you feel like it? I think Jobs knows the cable companies will undercut anything Apple would do in this area.

Besides, music is going to make Apple a very succesful company in the long run.

akhomerun

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2005
when i tried to sync a video podcast (diggnation), i got a message that went something like this:

"error: transfer of [filename] could not be completed because this type of file can not be played on this type of ipod"

if that's not blatantly obvious, what is?

try synching the video cast of diggnation to your ipod, you'll get the same thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.