Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hrmpf reports on a particularly revealing patent application from Apple that was published on October 26, 2006.

The name of the patent application is "Electronic Device Having Display and Surrounding Touch Sensitive Bezel for User Interface and Control". The patent describes and depicts a full-screen touch sensitive iPod very similar to the various Video iPod Mockups that have been floating around the web. The application was filed in June of 2006.

The focus of the patent is the incorporation of a touch-sensitive bezel (edge of screen) that can adapt to the screen contents to provide an input method for the user. Hrmpf suggests that the use of this non-screen area would eliminate many of the "smudge" and "scratch" concerns for a full-screen touch iPod.

An electronic device has a display and has a touch sensitive bezel surrounding the display. Areas on the bezel are designated for controls used to operate the electronic device. Visual guides corresponding to the controls are displayed on the display adjacent the areas of the bezel designated for the controls.

The diagrams included clearly depict what appears to be a full-screen Video iPod. The rumors of a full-screen Video iPod have been ongoing for some time, but picked up steam in February 2006 with claims that the full screen Video iPod would arrive in the coming months. Later reports indicated a delay with some recent reports of a late 2006/early 2007 release.

Numerous other patents have described possible touch-interface methods, but this is the first patent application to depict a full-screen iPod so clearly. It also could represent the "None-Touch" iPod interface that was described in July.

Update: There seems to be some misinterpretation of the picture. The circles in the bezel do not represent "buttons". The entire bezel would be a smooth surface that would be touch sensitive. A touch-sensitive Bezel iPod would still look like this mockup:

120px-Ipodvideo.jpg

Attachments

• picture-1-1.gif
    picture-1-1.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,358

wilburdl

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2006
Atlanta
Wow. Let's hope it looks better than that diagram. Anyways this would be the ultimate iPod (Could be a 4 or 5 inch screen). Of course, the screen needs to be more scratch resistant than previous generations. And they have to bump up the resolution on their iTunes store. But I'd be surprised if we see this anytime soon.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Oh, the video iPod is coming! :D
But I'd be dissappointed if the circular control of the original iPod is missing.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Make that touch-sensitive bezel out of black anodised aluminium and you'd have a top notch product.

UndeadDan

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
York, PA
I too will be very disappointed if the scroll wheel disappears from the iPod.

I am also quite skeptical about this 'bezel-touch' idea. That's where I hold the damn thing. I can't pick up my phone without changing the ring tone level now my iPod will scroll to a new track or shoot up in volume.

No thanks.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
UndeadDan said:
I too will be very disappointed if the scroll wheel disappears from the iPod.

I am also quite skeptical about this 'bezel-touch' idea. That's where I hold the damn thing. I can't pick up my phone without changing the ring tone level now my iPod will scroll to a new track or shoot up in volume.

No thanks.

Errm. Cant you lock your keys on your moby then. Surely there would be a hold button like current iPods that will disable the bezel.:rolleyes:

oshoel

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2005
London
Late 2006 or early 2007

I hope we'll see this in time for christmas! :D
Been waiting long enough now, surely!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
the diagram makes me want to trade my U2 iPod in for a new one :D

sounds like exciting times are about to come our way... time to buy that apple stock...

bitabytex

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Controls

The controls look kinda cumbersome. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like to lift my hand and move it completely around the iPod area like you would need to to get to the next track, ect. Plus, with the regular iPod, my fingers usually rest around those areas that would be touch-sensitive, probably causing me to skip tracks or what-not, and it would seem to be kinda difficult to use with one hand, as I do now with the current line-up.

Hopefully they would address these issues before release because it does look neat. :D

p.s. My first post! I've been sifting through the forums for a year and a half, and now just decided to register! lol

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
skunk said:
I don't want one.

Me neither. I want a large capacity (100GB+) audio iPod. No movies, no photos, no games. A black and white screen and a long battery life.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Based on the above drawings, this would be a disaster.

The interface is now clunky, crowded and unintuitive.
Biggest problem- take a look-it will require two hands to operate, thereby negating what every one else has been trying to imitate-the ease of use of the iPod scroll wheel.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
It's as easy to use as an ATM. They wouldn't even need to include instructions!

Just like most everything else, I trust Apple has thought this through a little more than our collective minds. They wouldn't put out something that wouldn't work.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
MongoTheGeek said:
My concern is if you have big fingers, or a poor grip strength, holding the thing will inadvertently set off the buttons if they are on the bezel
<steve>Then get smaller fingers.</steve> :)

ddma

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2004
Would that be possibly that Apple is trying to patent as many as possible user interface/method so that no one can get anything closer to the REAL video iPod?

neilson31

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2006
Here's what I think

Could it be that Apple is going to release this new video iPod after Zune so it can steal MS's thunder?....

What do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.