Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Intel NUC is being delivered to a certain company in 5 digit quantities while also being on Amazon Cyber Monday sale now.
So I think Intel would've been able to supply enough CPUs if Apple placed an order.

The current setup is pretty ridiculous.
"Budget" 13" non TB MBP: 800 GFLOPS
"Normal" 13" TB MBP: 840 GFLOPS
"Heavy" 15" MBP: 440 GFLOPS instead of Iris Pro 580: 1150 GFLOPS

This while driving more pixels than the 13" versions.
In comparison even cheap ultrabooks do ship with HD 520 with 400 GFLOPS while mostly pushing 1080p displays.

Oh and we aren't taking into account that eDRAM cache doesn't affect GFLOPS ratings but has a noticeable performance increase in real life.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Uh, for people who are not so knowledgeable who may come to this thread, perhaps you should include the dGPU floppies, so they don't freak out. Cuz these posts are pretty scary :D

dashwin

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
Some quick calculations...

UPDATE: I updated the calculations as I used incorrect GFLOPS on the older model

Early 2013 rMBP:
2880x1800 default scaled to 1440x900 using HD Graphics 4000: 332 (not 184 as previously calculated) GFLOPS
Late 2016 rMBP: 2880x1800 default scaled to 1680x1050 using HD Graphics 530: 441 GFLOPS

Going by these numbers, the Late 2016 rMBP has to process about 36% more pixels than the Early 2013 rMBP. If scaling is linear, then we need 36% more GFLOPS compared to Early 2013 rMBP to have the same rendering muscle. So 36% more of 332 GLFOPS is about 451 GFLOPS.

Or in other words it looks like 441 GFLOPS that the 2016 MBP TB ships with IS slightly underpowered compared to an Early 2013 rMBP. There may be some additional GPU spent on Touch Bar too for the 2016 models.

So this may be more than just a software issue, it may point to the hardware being underpowered to preserve battery at the cost of UI sluggishness.

Last edited:
Reactions: dk808

dashwin

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2015
I plan on opening a support ticket now as I think the hardware specs of the MBP 15" (not 13") iGPU are really underpowered (see my previous post above).

dark_matter, do you have an update on your contact with Apple?

Apple has done this earlier Early 2013 MBP (Ivy Bridge, HD 4000) had an underpowered iGPU and Late 2013 MBP (Haswell, Iris PRO Graphics) almost doubled it.

Still don't think your new MBP 15" has issues with scrolling? Try scrolling the example page below with inertia turned on and wait for the page to come to a full stop, you will see stutter.

Try this: First, make sure you are not connected to an external monitor and the system is using the iGPU when using Safari (this can be tricky use gfxCardStatus or some other program). Then open (Chrome would be more noticeable, but Safari works too) http://imgur.com/gallery/xBm3T and make sure you click the view all 50+ images button to expand all the images. Then scroll up and down with inertia and let go so it scrolls with inertia and comes to a stop. Just as its about to stop you will see missed frames/stutter as it kind of jumps.

What's crazy is the stutter is minimal (it is present, but not as pronounced) on my Early 2011 MBP 15"!!! a 5 year old system running Mac OS Sierra.

Not that anybody will be browsing a page with 50 images often, but this is just an example. I still notice it even on much more reasonable pages (like the NYT).

Now some may not care about this stutter today and that's okay. I am more worried about the ability for the system to keep up with times. A little stutter here or there is fine with me but it kind of spoils the experience for an almost 3.5K machine especially when you are used to a stutter-free experience on your 5 year old system!

Last edited:

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I plan on opening a support ticket now as I think the hardware specs of the MBP 15" (not 13") iGPU are really underpowered (see my previous post above).

dark_matter, do you have an update on your contact with Apple?

Apple has done this earlier Early 2013 MBP (Ivy Bridge, HD 4000) had an underpowered iGPU and Late 2013 MBP (Haswell, Iris PRO Graphics) almost doubled it.

Still don't think your new MBP 15" has issues with scrolling? Try scrolling the example page below with inertia turned on and wait for the page to come to a full stop, you will see stutter.

Try this: First, make sure you are not connected to an external monitor and the system is using the iGPU when using Safari (this can be tricky use gfxCardStatus or some other program). Then open (Chrome would be more noticeable, but Safari works too) http://imgur.com/gallery/xBm3T and make sure you click the view all 50+ images button to expand all the images. Then scroll up and down with inertia and let go so it scrolls with inertia and comes to a stop. Just as its about to stop you will see missed frames/stutter as it kind of jumps.

What's crazy is the stutter is minimal (it is present, but not as pronounced) on my Early 2011 MBP 15"!!! a 5 year old system running Mac OS Sierra.

Not that anybody will be browsing a page with 50 images often, but this is just an example. I still notice it even on much more reasonable pages (like the NYT).

Now some may not care about this stutter today and that's okay. I am more worried about the ability for the system to keep up with times. A little stutter here or there is fine with me but it kind of spoils the experience for an almost 3.5K machine especially when you are used to a stutter-free experience on your 5 year old system!
Sad to report that it is also present on my 2013 rMBP 15" with Iris Pro. Conclusive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.