Video of New Multi-Touch Gestures on iPad iOS 4.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 12, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxSSGUtTYA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEivxDY82bw

One of the most interesting new features found in iOS 4.3 is the introduction of four and five finger gestures for the iPad.
    The above video shows the user four-finger swiping from left/right to switch between multitasking apps. Meanwhile pinching with 4 or 5 fingers can return you to the home screen, which potentially removes the need for a physical home button.

Article Link: Video of New Multi-Touch Gestures on iPad iOS 4.3

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

3. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Looks promising. And I think this is only the beginning, still...

4. Cydonia macrumors member

Cydonia

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is going to be great. The future for iOS looks really interesting.

5. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

6. vista.john macrumors regular

7. swb1192 macrumors 6502

No, sorry, let's not start copying Android (Honeycomb). Every device needs physical buttons especially in times of software issues...

8. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Was just about to post this!
    Hopefully with more customization and a new notification system as well!

iOS 5 looks good so far.

9. blizaine macrumors 6502

blizaine

10. Danekero macrumors member

This really highlights the multitasking capabilities and I bet it will make the iPad seem a lot more like a laptop to a lot of people. At the very least I'll be using the horizontal gestures for sure.

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

But does this mean new functions for the home button? No idea what else it could do, but just a thought.

12. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Very cool additions! The swiping between apps looks just like OSX Lion. Pinching to home can be performed in slow motion too, similar to holding shift whilst invoking Expose on OSX.

13. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like it. Cool to see this innovation.

14. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but slapping something with your hand as if you're searching for gold at the end of a double rainbow isn't the most...natural...hand gesture guys can make. I'll stick with hitting the home button.

-=|Mgkwho

15. Niko03 macrumors regular

No home button would cause errors

I don't think the home button should go away.

On a multi touch device, there's always the chance that a user could inadvertently create the specific gesture that would send the user to the homescreen. That could potentially frustrate and confuse users. I can just see it now, you're in the middle of an intense game or something else- all of a sudden - poof there goes your app and there's the home screen.

Talk about a PITA.

When you're in an app, the home button does one thing, and you consciously have to press it to invoke that action. A gesture that does the same thing could inadvertently be invoked. Sounds like trouble to me.

16. MacFly123, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Kiss the home button good bye!!!

I guarantee this is the first step in Steve making the home button disappear.

Yes, I also thought of "Honeycomb" BUT, Apple actually has done this already in the new iPod nano with a long press. Does that make you feel better now lol? Also, "Honeycomb" adds a second bar at the bottom of the screen for the "home", "back" and "multi-tasking" commands which takes up screen real estate. I think multi-touch gestures are a much more elegant solution!

P.S. Matias Duarte designed WebOS which is very nice next to iOS and has the best multi-tasking UI implementation, and is now at Google heading up the new "Honeycomb" UI. I may not like Android or Google, but he is a pretty good designer and has some good ideas. I think it makes sense to make tablets orientation agnostic, especially when it is so nicely and easily done with multi-touch gestures like these!

Now I'm not sure about the volume, mute, sleep/wake buttons.

17. Xenc, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

It's not that difficult to pull off, yet it's not an action you'd likely perform accidentally. It may need to be disabled when using music apps and games, though.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Very cool.

I've been enjoying multi-touch gestures with Atomic for a while, so it's nice to see some finally integrated into the OS.

19. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but wont these gestures interfere with certain apps? What if a game requires you to swipe up? Or what if you're messing with a music app and you use four fingers? Unless the gestures are disabled automatically for these types of apps, I could see this being incredibly annoying at times. Still, it's optional.. so no big deal.

20. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

I always thought the iPad needed some five-finger gestures. Only problem is, when I play around with Safari for example, I use all five fingers to pinch in and out, just for my own self-amusement. Guess I'll need to break the habit :eek:

21. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

22. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

You guarantee, huh?

How do you intend to do this?

23. dws90 macrumors regular

Yes, this is my main question. What happens in apps that use those gestures? Who wins?

24. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

Problem

Just updated to 4.3 on my iPad, and none of the fancy new multitouch swiping works, but the side switch does work.

:(

25. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

Anyone else not seeing the Multitasking Gestures in the settings? I'm running 4.3, and based on the other screenshots I've seen, it should be right between the side switch settings and the date/time settings. The side switch settings are there, but no multitask gestures. I have a 32GB WiFi+3G.

Attached Files: