Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxSSGUtTYA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEivxDY82bw

One of the most interesting new features found in iOS 4.3 is the introduction of four and five finger gestures for the iPad.
This beta release contains a preview of new Multi-Touch gestures for iPad. You can use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen; swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar; and swipe left or right between apps. We are providing this preview before releasing them to the public to understand how these gestures work with your apps.
The above video shows the user four-finger swiping from left/right to switch between multitasking apps. Meanwhile pinching with 4 or 5 fingers can return you to the home screen, which potentially removes the need for a physical home button.

Article Link: Video of New Multi-Touch Gestures on iPad iOS 4.3

Last edited by a moderator:

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is going to be great. The future for iOS looks really interesting.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
which potentially removes the need for a physical home button.

No, sorry, let's not start copying Android (Honeycomb). Every device needs physical buttons especially in times of software issues...

Danekero

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
This really highlights the multitasking capabilities and I bet it will make the iPad seem a lot more like a laptop to a lot of people. At the very least I'll be using the horizontal gestures for sure.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Very cool additions! The swiping between apps looks just like OSX Lion. Pinching to home can be performed in slow motion too, similar to holding shift whilst invoking Expose on OSX.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like it. Cool to see this innovation.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Meanwhile pinching with 4 or 5 fingers can return you to the home screen, which potentially removes the need for a physical home button.

Yeah, but slapping something with your hand as if you're searching for gold at the end of a double rainbow isn't the most...natural...hand gesture guys can make. I'll stick with hitting the home button.

-=|Mgkwho

Niko03

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
No home button would cause errors

I don't think the home button should go away.

On a multi touch device, there's always the chance that a user could inadvertently create the specific gesture that would send the user to the homescreen. That could potentially frustrate and confuse users. I can just see it now, you're in the middle of an intense game or something else- all of a sudden - poof there goes your app and there's the home screen.

Talk about a PITA.

When you're in an app, the home button does one thing, and you consciously have to press it to invoke that action. A gesture that does the same thing could inadvertently be invoked. Sounds like trouble to me.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
No, sorry, let's not start copying Android (Honeycomb). Every device needs physical buttons especially in times of software issues...

Kiss the home button good bye!!!

I guarantee this is the first step in Steve making the home button disappear.

Yes, I also thought of "Honeycomb" BUT, Apple actually has done this already in the new iPod nano with a long press. Does that make you feel better now lol? Also, "Honeycomb" adds a second bar at the bottom of the screen for the "home", "back" and "multi-tasking" commands which takes up screen real estate. I think multi-touch gestures are a much more elegant solution!

P.S. Matias Duarte designed WebOS which is very nice next to iOS and has the best multi-tasking UI implementation, and is now at Google heading up the new "Honeycomb" UI. I may not like Android or Google, but he is a pretty good designer and has some good ideas. I think it makes sense to make tablets orientation agnostic, especially when it is so nicely and easily done with multi-touch gestures like these!

Now I'm not sure about the volume, mute, sleep/wake buttons.

Last edited:

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Yeah, but slapping something with your hand as if you're searching for gold at the end of a double rainbow isn't the most...natural...hand gesture guys can make. I'll stick with hitting the home button.

-=|Mgkwho

I don't think the home button should go away.

On a multi touch device, there's always the chance that a user could inadvertently create the specific gesture that would send the user to the homescreen. That could potentially frustrate and confuse users. I can just see it now, you're in the middle of an intense game or something else- all of a sudden - poof there goes your app and there's the home screen.

Talk about a PITA.

When you're in an app, the home button does one thing, and you consciously have to press it to invoke that action. A gesture that does the same thing could inadvertently be invoked. Sounds like trouble to me.

It's not that difficult to pull off, yet it's not an action you'd likely perform accidentally. It may need to be disabled when using music apps and games, though.

Last edited:

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
I could be wrong, but wont these gestures interfere with certain apps? What if a game requires you to swipe up? Or what if you're messing with a music app and you use four fingers? Unless the gestures are disabled automatically for these types of apps, I could see this being incredibly annoying at times. Still, it's optional.. so no big deal.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I always thought the iPad needed some five-finger gestures. Only problem is, when I play around with Safari for example, I use all five fingers to pinch in and out, just for my own self-amusement. Guess I'll need to break the habit :eek:

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Kiss the home button good bye!!!

I guarantee this is the first step in Steve making the home button disappear.

Yes, I also thought of "Honeycomb" BUT, Apple actually has done this already in the new iPod nano with a long press. Does that make you feel better now lol? Also, "Honeycomb" adds a second bar at the bottom of the screen for the "home", "back" and "multi-tasking" commands which takes up screen real estate. I think multi-touch gestures are a much more elegant solution!

P.S. Matias Duarte designed WebOS which is very nice next to iOS and has the best multi-tasking UI implementation, and is now at Google heading up the new "Honeycomb" UI. I may not like Android or Google, but he is a pretty good designer and has some good ideas. I think it makes sense to make tablets orientation agnostic, especially when it is so nicely and easily done with multi-touch gestures like these!

Now I'm not sure about the volume, mute, sleep/wake buttons.

You guarantee, huh?

How do you intend to do this?

dws90

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I could be wrong, but wont these gestures interfere with certain apps? What if a game requires you to swipe up? Or what if you're messing with a music app and you use four fingers? Unless the gestures are disabled automatically for these types of apps, I could see this being incredibly annoying at times. Still, it's optional.. so no big deal.

Yes, this is my main question. What happens in apps that use those gestures? Who wins?

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
Problem

Just updated to 4.3 on my iPad, and none of the fancy new multitouch swiping works, but the side switch does work.

:(

iAAPL

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Anyone else not seeing the Multitasking Gestures in the settings? I'm running 4.3, and based on the other screenshots I've seen, it should be right between the side switch settings and the date/time settings. The side switch settings are there, but no multitask gestures. I have a 32GB WiFi+3G.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 12, 7 52 46 PM.jpg
    Photo Jan 12, 7 52 46 PM.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 449
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.