Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Talk about spurious inputs! If this is a touch screen, I can see how it would work ok (try touching a tiny link on an iPhone), however, I hope that they don't intend to do too much with a screen this small!

Still, interesting. Can you imagine the postage stamp movie viewing on this thing? ;)

I really doubt this thing is going to be running iOS. It will probably be similar to the existing Nano's interface. Maybe a few touch gesture stuff added ontop of it. But basically you scroll through lists, tap on a listed item, and use onscreen playback controls. There is not going to be anything advanced like running apps.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Is it just me or does the new iTouch look a lot like the iPhone?

They don't show the iPod Touch in the video. They only show the digitizer/screen part which doesn't really give you any idea of what the whole thing will look like.

I do think it will look similar to the iPhone in my opinion though. It will be like the iPhone but even thinner.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Like I said earlier, I think it's the touchscreen wheel to the iPod classic.

That is just stupid. Why have a touchscreen wheel? It just requires more battery, requires people to learn how to use it, and if you say, "for displaying additional information" you could just as easily make the whole screen bigger if you wanted to do that. That's what the iPod Touch does.

Just stop with this "touchscreen wheel" nonsense.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
That is just stupid. Why have a touchscreen wheel? It just requires more battery, requires people to learn how to use it, and if you say, "for displaying additional information" you could just as easily make the whole screen bigger if you wanted to do that. That's what the iPod Touch does.

Just stop with this "touchscreen wheel" nonsense.

Then stop with nano touch, iWatch, 3g iPod touch nonsense. These are all stupid.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Then stop with nano touch, iWatch, 3g iPod touch nonsense. These are all stupid.

I agree they are stupid, if by "nano touch" you mean an iPod nano with "iOS functions." An iPod nano with a touchscreen and no clickwheel makes perfect sense to me, as long as it doesn't do anything crazy like run iOS.

David29

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
CA
Impresive that these guys manage to get all this unreleased stuff.

The Chinese gov't needs to reinstate their policy of shooting people that steal products like this.

Seriously, who does that dork think he is to get these and splash them on the web?

To hell with Foxconn trying to make workers feel better about their jobs. It's a communist country, and they should start acting like one. Shoot that ********.

It's a shame we didn't hear anyone kicking the door in towards the end of the video ...

I am joking, but only halfway.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009

I hope so, wanting someone to die over something like this is really stupid. Losing their jobs would be damage enough.

Also it might be a communist country, but Foxconn definitely works in the private sector outside of the normal laws of the country.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
The Chinese gov't needs to reinstate their policy of shooting people that steal products like this.

Seriously, who does that dork think he is to get these and splash them on the web?

To hell with Foxconn trying to make workers feel better about their jobs. It's a communist country, and they should start acting like one. Shoot that ********.

It's a shame we didn't hear anyone kicking the door in towards the end of the video ...

This board is getting stranger every day.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
That IS the actual screen size for the new nano. But what you didn't know what that there will be 6 of those little buggers on one device. Introducing: iPod Cube.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I really doubt this thing is going to be running iOS. It will probably be similar to the existing Nano's interface. Maybe a few touch gesture stuff added ontop of it. But basically you scroll through lists, tap on a listed item, and use onscreen playback controls. There is not going to be anything advanced like running apps.

Exactly. I am very confused how some people think an on-screen keyboard and web browser can fit on a tiny 1.7" screen. I personally don't think it will have WiFi at all, just an accelerometer for games (download from iTunes only) and the existing video recorder. Would make sense to have a home button somewhere also.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Tiny screen is for shuffle, nano gets virtual click wheel?

I'd be surprised if that small touch screen is for the Nano. Unless the body is larger, and assuming the touch screen is the size of the Nano based on the leaked cases, then the Nano would lose the video recording capability along with a larger screen. I bet it's for the shuffle, the touch screen will show the album and act as the interface instead of endless clicking on the headphones ...

That's what I've been thinking. It doesn't make any sense at all to cripple the nano with a super-small screen. It does make sense to give the shuffle a screen for the first time, since its sales have been disappointing since the '09 redesign. A virtual click wheel on the 3x3 cm touchscreen makes sense to me. But no video. Just the click wheel and swiping through albums in coverflow (plus track info like artist, album, and of course album art).

That means the nano can also get the virtual click wheel on a larger touchscreen than its current 2.4" non-touch screen. Maybe the 2.8" screen that's been rumored. Both the shuffle and nano should still run iPod OS, which would need to be able to handle touch inputs on their screens.

The iPod touch will presumably will get the Retina display and FaceTime. And maybe Steve will announce iPhone 4 and iPod touch in white too...

marconiusrex

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Based on some unsubstantiated photos

Exactly. I am very confused how some people think an on-screen keyboard and web browser can fit on a tiny 1.7" screen. I personally don't think it will have WiFi at all, just an accelerometer for games (download from iTunes only) and the existing video recorder. Would make sense to have a home button somewhere also.

Maybe because of some unsubstantiated photos floating around that show wifi bars and a safari browser. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
not sure if anyone else has said this yet but it just occurred to me that for the iPod Touch to get facetime it needs a microphone and if that happens, it will be rather easy to use it as a voip phone... although still stuck using it on speakerphone...

giggle71

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
not sure if anyone else has said this yet but it just occurred to me that for the iPod Touch to get facetime it needs a microphone and if that happens, it will be rather easy to use it as a voip phone... although still stuck using it on speakerphone...

Something I read stated that you would have to use headphones with mic in order to use facetime or skype on the iPod Touch... like the kind sold with the current 32 & 64GB Touch.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
彼は彼が述べていることがわからない陽気なホモの日本人である (japanese)
彼は彼がtalkinであるものがについてのわからない陽気なホモの中国人である (chinese)

haha thats my response, i have no clue what he said :D... ik what above says tho:p

This is all Japanese

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.