Video player now VLC "is gone"? Movist? MPlayer?

ribbon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2010
Just wondering what app do you use for playing videos. As far as I know, the best alternatives right now are Movist and MPlayer OS X Extended, but I'd like to know about any others, and what do you use.

Cheers.

GeraldButton

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Am I missing something? VLC "is gone"?
I think the OP is reffering to the news a little while back that VLC currently has no one devloping or updating it on the Mac Platform. I think I read the same thing on Download Squad but I cannot pin point a date for you.

As for me personally though I just use Quicktime with the Perian package. Keeps me happy.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I think the OP is reffering to the news a little while back that VLC currently has no one devloping or updating it on the Mac Platform. I think I read the saem thing on Download Squad but I cannot pin point a date for you.

As for me personally though I just use Quicktime with the Perian package. Keeps me happy.
Thanks, I had not heard that and checked a few download pages and saw no sign of it

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I think the OP is reffering to the news a little while back that VLC currently has no one devloping or updating it on the Mac Platform. ...
Because VLC is transitioning to new Mac programmers, all existing installations suddenly stopped working. :rolleyes:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
VLC still works fine, its not buggy at all (well at least for me). I intend to carry on using it!

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Here's a spot where VLC is being transitioned to "Lunettes". I've been using it in the latest incarnation, and it's quite good for me.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
Hrmm. Never heard of Movist. I'll give it a try, but if it doesn't have MPlayer's 10-second keyboard shortcut, I doubt I'll wind up using it. That's the main reason why I don't use any of the other players.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hrmm. Never heard of Movist. I'll give it a try, but if it doesn't have MPlayer's 10-second keyboard shortcut, I doubt I'll wind up using it. That's the main reason why I don't use any of the other players.
10 seconds with the left and right arrows. 60 seconds adding Option. Finally 300 seconds with Shift + Option.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Cool. Will give Movist a try.

I think the OP is reffering to the news a little while back that VLC currently has no one devloping or updating it on the Mac Platform. I think I read the same thing on Download Squad but I cannot pin point a date for you.

Perian keep screwing up something though
1.2 conflicts with my firewire sound card
The version before that (1.1.4?) conflicts with iChat video
At least uninstall is quick

GeraldButton

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Because VLC is transitioning to new Mac programmers, all existing installations suddenly stopped working. :rolleyes:
I don't know if the sarcasm is directed at me, but I didn't imply it stopped working, I mean, I downloaded a copy somewhere the other day and it still works, albeit very buggy.
Consultant said:
Perian keep screwing up something though
1.2 conflicts with my firewire sound card
The version before that (1.1.4?) conflicts with iChat video
At least uninstall is quick
I had it screw with iChat before, but I only used iChat while I had Mobile Me, and even then it was used very little.

mac donalds

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2010
Just wondering what app do you use for playing videos. As far as I know, the best alternatives right now are Movist and MPlayer OS X Extended, but I'd like to know about any others, and what do you use.

Cheers.

my vlc works quite perfect, and a couple of days ago it updated to version 1.05. so, I´m pretty sure that it`s not dead, yet.

plex is another good player, but it`s a fullscreen app like front row.