Video Recording with an ACCESSORY APP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

The ONLY thing that the new software update didn't have that I personally wanted was Video. Everything else made me very happy (minus the lack of MMS for original iphones my hubby has one)

Then I got to thinking abotu the AWESOME abilities of the Apps that work WITH an accessory. How super easy would it be to make a tiny little camera that plugs into the iphone and an app that controls it. I mean, it can be just like the nice and sleek itrip so its a small extention of the phone, you can leave it on or take it off.. and it would be super easy to just toss in a pocket if yout hink you might want it..

ALSO, this way, having something the size of the itrip means you can have a MUCH better camera..

Any thoughts on this?? maybe i should start creating one.

I can do the camera building.. any app developers out there wanna work with me.. Now that i said it outloud, if its possible, it would be a race to the finish!

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Havn't thought about it, but I suppose it could be possible.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Very plausible. Accessory API is there after all, might as well use it for this if Apple won't allow video through the already integrated cam.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

awesome.. i was waiting to be slammed with a million reasons why it can't be done.

At the engineering company my mom and i run, we do vision systems, and little cameras are what we are good at.. i just dont know anything about SDK.. any app developers out there?

6. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Thanks Captain Obvious. LOTS of people, however, are planning on unjailbreaking.. or have a BUNCH of reasons why they dont want to.. So please..

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

would any body here really carry around a plug in camera for the iPhone?

if there is something worth recording - most people bring a camera, if there is something that they want recorded just for fun or something that came up that was 'funny' cycorder works just fine

8. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well, people carried around an itrip for listening through a radio.. So why not? It wouldnt be AS easy as the built in one, and you would HAVE to carry it.. it can be small enough where you just clip it in and leave it.. Lots of people did that with the itrip on the older ipods.

ALSO, as a girl.. yea, i would. I have a pocket book. I would definitely toss it in there and KEEP it in there.. Just like people carry around a set of ear buds. Just IN CASE you want to use it.

9. TechJunky macrumors regular

I think it's an awesome idea! Supposedly the only reason they won't allow it is because the quality wouldn't me up to "apple standards". But if you could just clip some badass camera on the bottom, all the phone needs to do is record fast enough.

10. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Oh yea.. recording speed is an iphone RAM issue and not really an app issue huh??

There are DEFINITELY some awesome high quality little cameras out there. I mean, we build cameras that can see the tiniest imperfection on a piece thats only 1/4" to begin with. So a good video camera the size of an itrip (or a little smaller) is VERY easy to find.

The engineering company i work for does vision systems and quality control systems.. Heck, I can make a laser accessory that you can point in any general direction and give you a temperature, or record the light reflections/refraction..

We had one camera that would look at squeegee rubbers (the thin strip of rubber on the window washer squeegees) and it would look for the TINIEST little ridge or bump and if they found one, it would kcik it out of the assembly line.

11. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I like the idea of adding a camera that has the ability to display infrared and night vision. The question is whether the 30 pin connector control module is clocked to allow a 30 fps refresh rate for the screen display and recording. It would need to be able to buffer the amount of information per frame change (progressive). I guess if it was clocked high enough, but couldn't refresh the required amount of data, that you could introduce interlacing, and refresh only half the data every ~60 fps.

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

When they mentioned 3rd party accessory support, I IMMEDIATELY thought of camera attachments. Someone asked who would carry around such an attachment? Well me, for sure -- depending on what it could do. If it could improve the camera in any way (better lense attachment, with zoom?), I'm all for it. Beats carrying an entirely separate, bulkier camera around. Although I'm not sure if they would allow a video recording camera, if they don't already allow video now.
    Let's see if the rumors of the 3rd-gen iPhone having video support ring true. Summer can't come soon enough!

13. jz1492 macrumors member

jz1492

One word: iChat

(or equivalent, i.e. opportunity)

A miniature swivel camera like the ones appearing in notebooks and PDAs over the years is the solution to videoconferencing, with the additional benefit of allowing you to take live pictures with the built-in camera as you present them while videoconferencing.

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

None of which are valid.

15. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

oh yea.,. there is NO valid reason for not jailbreaking your phone.. none what so ever.

Thanks for adding a LOT of good to this thread..

as for the swivel.. we already thought about it. Had a brainstorming session today with the engineer

16. aok1975 macrumors 6502

if the added piece of hardware could double as video camera and 5mp camera, then maybe. would look silly and backward though.

17. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I'm sure any Macrumors junky would agree that the huge majority of issues with the iPhone are from people who JB'ed their phone. On with the camera attachments, I have money.

18. rayward macrumors 65816

The camera could be designed to mount the iPhone so that it's a free-standing unit. Hey presto! Here's your video conferencing set-up all ready to go.

Add to that a Bluetooth keyboard, and road warriors will be able to travel super-light.

How about video conferencing in landscape mode, with a split screen showing each end of the call?

The Accessories API has just exploded the capabilities of the iPhone.

Of course, one thing I'm quite excited to see is a Bluetooth app to make the iPhone a remote control for my PS3.

19. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

The jailbreak video camera apps suck so it would be nice to have a native app or even an attachment with a better camera.

20. jimf123 macrumors member

Camera

This idea also came to me. It would be great to have a clip on or movable camera on a cable so you could place it in a better position for video messaging apps.

The only thing that bothers me about all this is whether it will make apple a little "lazy" on the hardware side as there'll be plenty of 3rd party add ons, so they might not bother putting fairly basic stuff in the phone in the first place...? I mean a better built in camera capable of video recording, and really a front facing camera as well, iisn't really an unrealistic expectation for a new iPhone is it?

Mind you, if they don't come built in I'm sure they'd be a Market for a plug in alternative...

21. aok1975 macrumors 6502

if you are talking about cycorder, I beg to differ. The video quality is great for a cell phone.

22. TechJunky macrumors regular

15fps is not great. I think we could do much better with a dedicated clip-on camera.

23. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't like that idea at all. I would never carry around around a camera attachment with me. The only time I record video with the iPhone is when something comes up without notice. Apple should include a software video recorder or allow an APP for it in the APP Store. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

24. aok1975 macrumors 6502

I wellcome that. Imagine a 5mp clip on camera. wow

25. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

Now we just need someone to come out with an attachment that contain a Micro 4/3rds sensor and interchangeable lens mount, with an App that uses the screen as the EVF and controls. :D