Video Review: The Juiceboxx Keeps Your MacBook Charger Cord From Fraying

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

For our latest video review, we went hands-on with the Juiceboxx, a MacBook accessory that originated on Kickstarter. Many of us MacBook owners have suffered from a frayed MacBook charger cord, which is a condition that the Juiceboxx aims to prevent.

The Juiceboxx is a small plastic cover that wraps around the bottom of a MacBook charger, with a portion that extends out over the spot where the cord attaches to the power adapter. This keeps that spot from being bent or damaged in a way that could lead to fraying.

The Juiceboxx is available in six colors, including blue, black, white, red, magenta, and teal. There are versions available for all MacBook models, including the 12-inch Retina MacBook, the MacBook Pro, and the MacBook Air. It can be purchased from the Juiceboxx website for $19.99.

Note: MacRumors received no compensation for this review.

Article Link: Video Review: The Juiceboxx Keeps Your MacBook Charger Cord From Fraying

2. NintendoFan macrumors 6502

While this is probably a great product for someone who travels a lot or warps up their cord constantly, I find that the MagSafe end is far more prone to fraying than the transformer end. Wish there was something for that.

3. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

Do they have anything to prevent the other end from getting #rekt'd?

4. SteveBlobs macrumors member

I have lost quite a few power cords to fraying, however it's always the MagSafe end that goes first for me. Duct tape is my new solution (preemptive rather than in response to prior fraying).

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

There is a much easier and less expensive way. Just make a loop before you wrap the cord around the adapter housing.

6. SMGreenfield macrumors member

SMGreenfield

I have had at least one MacBook Pro 85W power supply / charger go out on me every year for the past six years. In two of those cases, the power supply just "died". In four other cases, the MagSafe connector frayed. In one of those four cases, the other end -- the one that goes into the charger -- frayed also. In that most recent case, Apple replaced it even though the warranty had passed.

It will be interesting to see if the move back to the older "T" style MagSafe connector will improve the fraying problem, which seemed to be MORE prevalent with the "L" shape MagSafe connector.

The other problem I've had is with CATS chewing on my power cables. No joke -- I actually saw SPARKS coming out of one of my cat's mouth last time I saw her chewing on a live cable. Unfortunately, she tends to check on the area about one inch below the MagSafe connector, making it very difficult to repair. I've done the resoldering job several times on many cables -- it ain't fun.

MagSafe / MacBook power adapter cable issues may yet be the best argument for going to the USB-C connector for power/charging.

7. cmwade77 macrumors 65816

Really with all their money, can't they come up with a cord that won't fray?

8. DanTheAppleMan macrumors regular

I've been doing that since the day I got my 2010 MBP, no signs of fraying on the charger yet.

9. krazifour macrumors member

krazifour

I really wish Apple would just fix the general chord fraying problem already.

10. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Surely some self amalgamating tape round both ends do the same job? Works for me on any cables getting dodgy.

11. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

If you really wrap that cable the way you do it in the video you can be happy that your cable still functions. The way you do it you consistently pull and twist it. With this method you surly shorten the chargers life no matter if you use that blue plastic or not.

12. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

This is silly. Simply take electrical tape and wrap it around the cord on both ends. Be sure the tape covers about 1 inch on each end. I see another user said he uses duct tape, but that is not designed for the heat that is generated in the cord and could melt the tape. Hope that helps guys!

13. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

14. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Wow, $20 for a piece of plastic...
    As stated above, if you're so worried, just use tape and wrap it around the cord on both ends.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

20 bucks to fix a design flaw in the charger? No thanks.

16. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Funny how many here have said it's the MagSafe end that frays first. I found the same too, but when I took in my 2 year old frayed and broken charger, supposedly covered by the 3 year AppleCare warranty I had, an Apple genius was 'surprised' and said he'd only heard of it fraying at the other end.

He said it wasn't covered by the warranty because I didn't care for it well enough.

Yes, maybe I didn't take perfect care of it, but if it can't last 2 years of normal use, that's a joke.

Another 2 years later and the new cable is fraying again!

17. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

They could change the scale of it. Maybe flatten out any sharp edges. Eh, I'll give it a whole rest.

It looks alright, but since 2006, I've it's always frayed on the MagSafe part. I think someone at Apple did tell me to make a loop at the end. If I traveled with it a lot I maybe would pick this up.

18. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

The tape on the MagSafe end always ends up slipping off though. Wish there were some better solution.

19. hutrebug macrumors regular

This is such a non-issue. There is no "design flaw." Its called user error. For some reason people insist upon wrapping the cord so $#!&ing tight that they destroy the cable. I've had countless macs thru the years and have never had this problem since I simply wrap the cable loosely. Its just common sense, but many people lack it. And I don't think some people can learn it.

Also, have you ever seen this type of person: They're just unusually HARD on things, they have no finesse or gentleness and destroy (often unintentionally) by being so ROUGH with stuff.

20. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Exactly

slow day in news - MR was reaching on this article

21. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

I'm still using my Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15" (the first unibody one), with the original 85watt MagSafe charger. Has been carried around and packed and unpacked countless times. Broke one of the flip-out cable-holder prongs off the charger (the white pop-out L-shaped pieces), so now I wind the cord around the charger body. But the charger itself still works just fine.

Are you sure y'all aren't dragging the MacBook around by the cord, or yanking things out instead of unplugging them?

22. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Well said. It's so friggin easy to avoid. I've done this to iPhone cables, but make no mistake I treated them rough. My 2011 MBP adapter could be mistaken for new despite routine use due to avoiding tension on the ends during use or while coiling the cable.

23. Jinzen macrumors 6502

User error not a design flaw. I keep a travel charger in my bag and it's been perfect for many years, I simply choose not to um, wrap the cable together in a bunch which would clearly put stress on joints...

24. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

25. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

All of this is so true.