Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve-Jobs-250x286.png
A video obtained exclusively by ABC News today aims to showcase the "softer side" of Steve Jobs, with the former Apple CEO addressing an assembly of Apple employees the day before the release of the original iPhone in 2007.

During the brief clips shared by ABC News, Jobs urges the company's employees to go in to an Apple Store and "just give one of the Apple retail store employees a hug," discusses his theory of corporate management, and debunks the history to his famous ripped jeans.

The footage was shared with Apple's employees yesterday to mark the fourth anniversary of Jobs' death on October 5, 2011. A handful of well-known Apple executives put together some personal essays in memory of the Apple co-founder, including current Apple CEO Tim Cook, calling him "brilliant" and with "a great sense of humor."

A lot of Jobs' past has been resurfacing recently alongside the release of a handful of films chronicling his life, including Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine and the upcoming Aaron Sorkin-penned Steve Jobs movie. A few of Jobs' supporters aren't backing many of these interpretations of him, including his widow Laurene Powell Jobs, who tried to cease production on the Sorkin script multiple times.

Article Link: Video Shared With Apple Employees Shows 'Softer Side' of Steve Jobs

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
It's strange as I was thinking about this the other day.

I was watching that 'internal' video on YouTube where Steve introduced the Think different campaign to employees, and I was wondering, I bet there's tons of footage filmed from internal meetings that very few people have ever seen before.

I think, over time, as it becomes more acceptable (from a secrecy standpoint), they should release more of these videos.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I get a big black hole where the video should be. Dammit, ABC, and the rest of the world, get your heads out of my ass! I don't want to see your bullcrap commercials, I don't want to be tracked, I don't want to have you snooping... I just want to see the damn video!!!

Oh, and only an idiot wouldn't use ad blocking software, so GET OVER IT!!!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's strange as I was thinking about this the other day.

I was watching that 'internal' video on YouTube where Steve introduced the Think different campaign to employees, and I was wondering, I bet there's tons of footage filmed from internal meetings that very few people have ever seen before.

I think, over time, as it becomes more acceptable (from a secrecy standpoint), they should release more of these videos.

There is no way, if he really was such a big butthead, that he was able to achieve so much.

People like that rarely instill much loyalty in employees...

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
This video adds nothing new. How else was he supposed to talk when rallying the troops? He was a charismatic man, we know this. We've seen videos like this many times. He was also a complicated man who could behave drastically differently in the given circumstance. He could be brilliant and inspiring, but he could also be a major, major ass. The fact that this video is news is worrying for modern journalism.

Last edited:

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
There are many videos already available to everyone, of him in interviews and other moments when he's funny, kind, humble about his health, etc. As well as videos of him being not so nice.

No one is one dimensional.

Reactions: mac 2005

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I get a big black hole where the video should be. Dammit, ABC, and the rest of the world, get your heads out of my ass! I don't want to see your bullcrap commercials, I don't want to be tracked, I don't want to have you snooping... I just want to see the damn video!!!

No kidding. Privacy Badger shows 42 (!) trackers on the ABC site. o_O

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
This video adds nothing new. How else was he supposed to talk when rallying the troops? He was a charismatic man, we know this. We've seen videos like this many times. He was also a complicated man who could behave drastically differently in the given circumstance. He could be brilliant and inspiring, but he could also be a major, major ass. The fact that this video is news is worrying for modern journalism.

I think any story with Jobs is going to attract a lot of interest. Maybe not the greatest example of good journalism, but as an Apple fan, I really enjoy seeing things like this. Behind the scenes, relaxed and not having to be on all the time.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

This is an Apple PR move. They know this movie is going to be popular, and now even more so. The more I see this type of stuff I wonder if they even care about Steve at all, and just don't want it hurting the brand.

And I said this is another post, why is it so hard to reconcile that a person responsible for so many great things could also have personal flaws. I'm surprised so many of you are unable to see anything but black and white.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Seems like a well choreographed "exclusive" to me.

That's not a comment on Jobs, by the way. Just on this news story.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Nice leak, Apple. Well played.

I worked with Jobs many times, there is nothing black and white about him. He could be kind and caring and he could be a raving jerk and everything in between. Sometimes he was so lost in his own thoughts he was silent and you could think made of stone. He could be very funny too, if he was in the mood.

Reactions: Will do good

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
They said there are two movies about Steve Jobs out there? They must be missing the most important one, iSteve.

Anyway, it's good to see more videos about Steve after all this time. It's a shame that ABC talked over like half the video and took a whole minute and a half to even get to the clips of Steve though.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012

I'm in Switzerland on a phone network, with crystal on safari and iOS 9.1 on an iPhone 6, and I see the video fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.