Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Japanese magazine Mac Fan published possible schematics depicting the design of a 12.2-inch "iPad Pro" or "iPad Air Plus". The schematics suggested that the larger-screened tablet would carry dimensions of 305.31mm x 220.8mm x 7mm, or 12 inches x 8.7 inches x 0.28 inches, which is in line with previous rumors about the device. Now, YouTube user Canoopsy (via Nowhereelse.fr) has created a video showing how an iPad Air Plus with those dimensions would measure up to Apple's other devices including the company's current iPads, iPhones and 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Some reports have noted that the larger iPad would carry a 12.9-inch display, however Mac Otakara has suggested a 12.2-inch display for the device in two of its reports. A 12.2-inch iPad Air Plus is of course shown to be much bigger than Apple's current line of iPhones and bigger than the iPad mini 3 and iPad Air 2, as it even approaches the display size of the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

The iPad Air Plus is said to also feature a new A9 processor and dual top and bottom speakers for improved audio. Mac Otakara claims that the iPad Air Plus and a new iPad mini 4 may launch between April and June of 2015. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also suggested earlier this month that the iPad Pro may not enter production until the second quarter of 2015 as Apple shifts its production resources towards improving supplies of the iPhone 6 Plus.

Article Link: Video Shows Size of 12.2-Inch 'iPad Air Plus' Mockup Next to iPhones, iPads, and MacBook

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that is one big monster. I can't see how that will be a big seller but you never no.

That's really too much tablet for me, but I suppose others have been clamoring for it.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Still don't see the appeal of this. It would likely be so large and heavy to the point that it's just better to have a MacBook air 11. Apple would need to give it some serious features other than screen size that differentiate it from the smaller iPads.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I wonder if they wouldn't reconsider the aspect ratio on a bigger screen. But in general, weight is going to be the make-or-break factor.

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
This has been in the works for a while.

ipad3-designs.jpg

Babbles

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
U.S.A
It's like carrying around a small tv . . . Kind of reminds me when kids used to carry around "boom" boxes (stereos). Those things were big, too. I just fail to see the appeal of a tv-sized iPad.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
since the iPad air 2 is riddled with defects, I'll be waiting a few weeks to see how the dust settles with the iPad +

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
since the iPad air 2 is riddled with defects, I'll be waiting a few weeks to see how the dust settles with the iPad +

Riddled with defects? Care to share what those are? I own an Air 2 and have no defects.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

My understanding is that it won't be called a plus. It is supposed to be either the

iPad Max

or the

MaxiPad

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
It's about as large as an A4 sheet, so it is still rather portable and will fit in virtually any bag around. What is interesting, is that they will have to build it with a different kind of grip in mind, as it will be too uncomfortable to be held like this, unless one edge is rested on the lap

GESTURES003r.jpg

So it will likely be designed to be held in a way where the device rests on your whole arm, like so

4641525707_2ac43e3ecd_z.jpg

or so

stock-photo-portrait-of-young-business-woman-standing-near-window-in-modern-office-and-writing-notes-127603970.jpg

Last edited:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
It's gonna be a nieche product..
Unlike phones where bigger size is more popular and brings superior functionality,when it comes to tablets,smaller sizes are preferable.

I even favour iPad Mini to iPad Air and infact replaced my Air, with Mini just recently.I find smaller mini 10x superior to Air due to "sweet spot" and smaller size.I can't even think about 12 inches of a tablet.
But needless to say some can find it preferable,although an small percentage of users.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
This must have a wacom pen, and a functional OS, or bust. Surface Pro 3 has churned a new market. This is clear as day that Apple is going to try to compete. I personally have an ipad mini and its apps stand it apart. But the SP3 really is a game changer to the working market. The consumer market will always be ipad though.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
"It's obviously bigger than all the iPhones available right now..."

but not so obvious as to not need to state this? :confused: #thankyoucaptainobvious

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't know about tons but at the very least, pressing from behind can cause distortion. Not a dealbreaker for me but still a sign in my opinion that the thing is pointlessly thin.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1808921/

Ha I just noticed that now. I have zero reson to press hard from behind on my device though so that will never bother me. I guess that's why I don't frequent those forums after I buy a new device. I like to enjoy my devices not look for flaws.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Just do not get this one. Do not see the market for this. Maybe I am missing something? If I was going to spend this kind of money, it certainly would be on something more useful like an MBA.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Ha I just noticed that now. I have zero reson to press hard from behind on my device though so that will never bother me. I guess that's why I don't frequent those forums after I buy a new device. I like to enjoy my devices not look for flaws.

I would imagine most don't go looking for defects, but notice them accidentally and then look them up to see if others are having the issue, as well as how to potentially fix them.

DennisD7

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
London, UK
A lot of people here saying they can't see any use for it - (haven't we all heard that one before?). It will probably be marketed towards college students as a replacement for all their course books, and maybe notebooks. I expect to see Apple push for some service and/or university collaboration that takes advantage of this as well.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Wow, looks great. I could use one of those as a note stand when playing guitar. I have stopped buying physical note books for a while but reading notes off my current iPad 2 is not very practical. Would love the big screen.

And having the ability to actually write notes with a stylus would be the icing on the cake!

Lets see what they come up with.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Just do not get this one. Do not see the market for this. Maybe I am missing something? If I was going to spend this kind of money, it certainly would be on something more useful like an MBA.

If it runs plain Jane iPad ios then I don't get it either. Possibly a hybrid OS to take advantage of the screen realestste then maybe I guess I can see it.

But a hybrid OS opens up a whole other topic on its own ?

It has to perform closer to a Mac and less than a beefed up iPad imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.