Video Shows What an iPhone Game Would Look Like on Taller iPhone Screen

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The developer of the iPhone game Ninja Fish has released a video showing what the game would look like on a next-generation iPhone with a taller screen. The developer doesn't have any special information about the next iPhone, but is sharing the video as an intellectual exercise to show how games could look on the larger screen.

Ninja Fish for iPhone is available in both a free, ad-supported version and a $0.99 paid version from the App Store.

Article Link: Video Shows What an iPhone Game Would Look Like on Taller iPhone Screen

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
How very obvious. But this is a great way for this developer to get some free attention (which I'm not knocking).

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I wonder how the games we already have will be at first on the new iPhone?
Don't know, but it would be awesome for games that require the virtual D-Pad. The controls can finally be mostly out of the way of the games, and you would get a better gaming experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Strange that the developer plugs the supposed new iPhone and its gaming experience, and then slams Apple's search feature for not finding the game. :confused:

Zyphlon

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Manchester, UK
Genius Developer, getting free advertising from the new iPhone Excitement! Especially given how his game isnt even on the first page of results! Not that I mind, good on him.

Yet I think of all the applications, games will be the easiest to turn to the new resolution, so it's not showing that much.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA
Strange that the developer plugs the supposed new iPhone and its gaming experience, and then slams Apple's search feature for not finding the game. :confused:
They weren't praising it, just showing it. And apple's app store search does suck.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
How very obvious. But this is a great way for this developer to get some free attention (which I'm not knocking).
Yeah: "Gee, the longer screen allows you to see more vertically!"

In other news, closing your eyes makes everything darker!

Seems like a publicity seeker to me.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
I figured this would be a sneaky marketing attempt. But it was much more blatant than I thought.

It seems there must be some search terms they could use (from their keywords they entered when submitting) that will find the game first on the list. It probably would have been better to put those words at the end of the video rather than explaining that you are on page three of the search for your app title.

But they got on MR and have their links here. So maybe the extra downloads will pull up their search rank.

RoboCop001

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
They should make a Star Trek one of these, where the ship is warping, and you have to travel through some debris field, or that weird broken part of space in that one episode of TNG that they complained about so much but then ignored the high-warp dangers afterward.

keybraker

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
This is going to have legal issues with tiny wings which it copied ! It copied the sounds the graphics and the fonts buttons and !

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
G'damn this was disappointing. I might not have cared except for the stupid app store stuff tacked on the end. For that I will not be downloading the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I really hope that the taller screen isnt the killer feature here...a hour plus keynote about how 'magical' the extra height is will really be taking the piss.

You just know that they are going to go on about how you can see full hd widescreen videos and stuff.

Sorry, but this is NOT a reason to upgrade to the new iPhone.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I gotta say that just adding a slight bit of height to the iPhone is pretty lame. It still feels like a dinky phone compared to the Galaxy S3. iOS is definitely way ahead as far as software goes however. I just wish they'd done more than just increase the height :(

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
So on a taller display, you will see white cloud-like objects to the left of the screen? :confused:

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
to me this shows just how little the extra length adds.
I guess I don't get why you wouldn't want a phone to be 16:9. Do you not watch ANY video content created in the last 5 years? Do you like letterboxing 16:9 or do you enjoy blowing it up and cutting off the sides of the image? Your pick.

For non 16:9 apps, I think I'd let the user specify what they want to do. Have it stretch or crop or perhaps allow the dock show at all times in that space. Or user defined functions in that space.

----------

I gotta say that just adding a slight bit of height to the iPhone is pretty lame. It still feels like a dinky phone compared to the Galaxy S3. iOS is definitely way ahead as far as software goes however. I just wish they'd done more than just increase the height :(
I think they've decided to create an iPad mini to fill that void. Options without too much butchering of their line.