Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinnyP

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Staten Island

Apple's AirPods Pro are the flagship earbuds in the company's lineup, but there are plenty of other third-party truly wireless earbuds out there on the market. Sony is one of the main contenders in the space, so MacRumors videographer Dan took a look at the brand-new WF-1000XM4 earbuds to see how they stack up.

The awkwardly named WF-1000XM4 buds are priced at $279, just a bit higher than the AirPods Pro at $249, although we've been regularly seeing discounted pricing on AirPods Pro in the $200 range (including $189.99 for Prime Day), so that's one factor in favor of the AirPods Pro, at least for now.

When it comes to performance, the XM4s offer solid audio quality that can be tweaked to find the perfect balance using Sony's Headphones Connect app for iOS and Android, something Apple doesn't offer. The XM4s also offer excellent active noise cancellation (ANC), but AirPods Pro also perform well in that regard.

While fit is a very personal aspect, Dan found that both sets of earbuds fit well for him, with the XM4s offering a very snug fit that seals well in the ear while the AirPods Pro might be a bit more comfortable over the long term.

Both sets of earbuds are strong performers overall, but where the AirPods Pro really set themselves apart for Apple users is the H1 chip and the capabilities it brings. Instant pairing and automatic switching across devices are very convenient, and the AirPods Pro deliver several other Apple-specific features like Find My integration and audio sharing for connecting multiple sets of earphones to one device simultaneously.

Check out Dan's video for his full thoughts on these aspects and more when it comes to comparing the AirPods Pro and the new Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds.

Article Link: Video: Sony's New WF-1000XM4 Earbuds vs. Apple's AirPods Pro
I love my XM3’s. I have the AirPod Pro’s as well but the sound quality on the xm’s are AMAZING and POWERFUL and LOADER then the Pro’s. Phone calls are terrible on the XM’s. AirPods Pro truly shine for that purpose and that’s why I kept them. I will DEFINITELY be purchasing the new Sony’s due to design improvements and tweaks to the case such as the green light vs a red one. That always made me think the battery was dying. Hopefully the call quality improved. Like I said, the xm3’s were terrible for calls. Never use them for that.

Apple's AirPods Pro are the flagship earbuds in the company's lineup, but there are plenty of other third-party truly wireless earbuds out there on the market. Sony is one of the main contenders in the space, so MacRumors videographer Dan took a look at the brand-new WF-1000XM4 earbuds to see how they stack up.

The awkwardly named WF-1000XM4 buds are priced at $279, just a bit higher than the AirPods Pro at $249, although we've been regularly seeing discounted pricing on AirPods Pro in the $200 range (including $189.99 for Prime Day), so that's one factor in favor of the AirPods Pro, at least for now.

When it comes to performance, the XM4s offer solid audio quality that can be tweaked to find the perfect balance using Sony's Headphones Connect app for iOS and Android, something Apple doesn't offer. The XM4s also offer excellent active noise cancellation (ANC), but AirPods Pro also perform well in that regard.

While fit is a very personal aspect, Dan found that both sets of earbuds fit well for him, with the XM4s offering a very snug fit that seals well in the ear while the AirPods Pro might be a bit more comfortable over the long term.

Both sets of earbuds are strong performers overall, but where the AirPods Pro really set themselves apart for Apple users is the H1 chip and the capabilities it brings. Instant pairing and automatic switching across devices are very convenient, and the AirPods Pro deliver several other Apple-specific features like Find My integration and audio sharing for connecting multiple sets of earphones to one device simultaneously.

Check out Dan's video for his full thoughts on these aspects and more when it comes to comparing the AirPods Pro and the new Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds.

Article Link: Video: Sony's New WF-1000XM4 Earbuds vs. Apple's AirPods

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I buy Apple products because of their integration. Nothing else comes close and no other company seems to even value that. So the AirPods would have to be vastly inferior in major ways for me to consider something else.
With Apple’s tight grip on that type of thing, literally, except beats, no headphone manufacturer can integrate their devices into iOS more than a standard headphone. They can win on sound quality, some customisation, but that’s it. So, literally, for apple users, any other headphone is inferior unless sound quality = everything.

Reactions: WestonHarvey1

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Sony WF-1000XM3’s

Died on me within 1 month of ownership.

There’s no comparison here.

The Apple version will actually work.

Will never buy anything from Sony again. (2nd time they screwed me on an electronic item).
Due to miscalibrated Sony Timer™.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I put the Comply foam tips on the AirPods and really like them. They work great.

I rarely use it but you can at least adjust balance in the accessibility settings.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I don’t get why Sony namin scheme is so terrible. Take a note sony from apple.
Sony’s naming conventions are terrible, Apple’s are merely clumsily lousy bad.

Apple could do well to harmonize and simplify all its names by launching in fall:
- iPhone 21, iPhone 21+
- iPad 21, etc.
- Apple TV 21 4K
- Apple Watch 21
- Apple Watch SE 20
- MacBook Air 21
- Apple Tag 21
- Apple Remote 21
- Apple Pods Pro 19
- Apple Pod Max 21
- etc.
s/w
- iOS 21
- iPadOS 21
- macOS 21 Monterey
- tvOS 21
- watchOS 21
this would make it way easier for users to know what they’ve got and put a subtle pressure on them as they realized how long ago they bought them.
If Apple has some sexy annual (Monterey) or feature introduction (4K, HD, etc.) marketing nickname, as for macOS or ATV it can come easily after the model year. And even on products that have a long (in the tooth) cycle life like TV, or Mac Pro R2D2 (haha), apple ain’t fooling too many people by not embracing MY designators (also it might put a pressure on Apple to refresh these more often.)

For example these hodgepodge of names are generally unnecessary at the customer level (in footnotes, documentation and help website) and and could fade into the background for most people with the above scheme.

Also if this scheme had been in existence when the iPad Air 2 and the iPhone 6S had been launched, come September I’d have an iPhone 15+ on iOS 21, and an iPad Air 14 on iPadOS 21, and would be happy to see that my phone and pad at still supported at 6 and 7 years old (respectively).

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
As good as it may, let’s face it Sony XM4 is made with Android users in mind. Sucky companion app, custom hi-res codec that won’t work at all for iPhones, overall gaudy design (and naming too).

AirPods may lose in sound and ANC department, but for everything else, it’s H1 chip integration that will matter most for iPhone users.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3nm and Rocko99991

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
I have BOTH.

Sound quality: WF-1000XM4

Fitment: TIE - but winner is the WF-1000XM4 due to the foam inserts I prefer over the silicone ones from APP

Adjustments: no competition here, winner: WF-1000XM4

Battery life: WF-1000XM4; however, I don't listen more than 3-4 hours tops. So I would say for the money it's value is there

Codec support: easy winner: WF-1000XM4 (LDAC)

Range: TIE

Ease of sharing between devices (multipoint+): no contest, APP!

Which ones I use most? Due to the microphone quality being better, much better than the WF-1000XM4, the APP is the one I actually use most. But for quality NC, my goodness, these WF-1000XM4's are just astonishingly good. I would say they rival my WH-1000XM3's (due to the foam fitment in the ear).

Both don't fall out of my ears but this is subjective since everybody's ear is different. Overall I am pleased with the APP due to the ease of use and connection quality and microphone but those WF-1000XM4's are just amazing sound quality/NC vs the APP. If you can afford, get both!
Does APP have good NC? How does it compare with WH-1000XM3?

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
the sony can play losless. apple can‘t
also you can tweak your sound with the sonys.
Actually, the Sony's don't really play lossless audio — they play variable reduced-rate audio. It is CLOSE to what lossless might be for a given song, but it is still compressed by a few hundred megabits per second in the peaks.

If the Sony LDAC codec really did accomplish true lossless play via bluetooth, I would definitely be interested — despite the fact that the codec won't work with Apple devices. But for an 'almost as good as lossless, but not really!', it's just not an achievement. And, it is hobbled by the fact that it is only compatible with devices/manufacturers who have licensed Sony's proprietary codec.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Dolby Atmos is a fad in music that will not last long, just as when they tried to do 5.1 DVD Audio records that took nowhere. I’m much more interested in finally getting lossless than this.
Just to be clear...the Sony's are not lossless. Look at the spec. It is a variable reduced rate audio compression. 'Better' than more compressed audio (though whether it is enough of an improvement to be audible to most listeners is questionable)...but still not lossless, so lacking the supposed benefits of uncompressed sound.

ApeBot

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2015
Sydney
I just love the fact that there is some decent competition in the headphones space. I’ve bumped between Bose, Sony and Apple for the last few years and have different pairs for different purposes. These Sony’s look promising. Ultimately it’s horses for courses, so it’s hard to choose an ultimate fave.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Sony’s naming conventions are terrible, Apple’s are merely clumsily lousy bad.

Apple could do well to harmonize and simplify all its names by launching in fall:
- iPhone 21, iPhone 21+
- iPad 21, etc.
- Apple TV 21 4K
- Apple Watch 21
- Apple Watch SE 20
- MacBook Air 21
- Apple Tag 21
- Apple Remote 21
- Apple Pods Pro 19
- Apple Pod Max 21
- etc.
s/w
- iOS 21
- iPadOS 21
- macOS 21 Monterey
- tvOS 21
- watchOS 21
this would make it way easier for users to know what they’ve got and put a subtle pressure on them as they realized how long ago they bought them.
If Apple has some sexy annual (Monterey) or feature introduction (4K, HD, etc.) marketing nickname, as for macOS or ATV it can come easily after the model year. And even on products that have a long (in the tooth) cycle life like TV, or Mac Pro R2D2 (haha), apple ain’t fooling too many people by not embracing MY designators (also it might put a pressure on Apple to refresh these more often.)

For example these hodgepodge of names are generally unnecessary at the customer level (in footnotes, documentation and help website) and and could fade into the background for most people with the above scheme.

Also if this scheme had been in existence when the iPad Air 2 and the iPhone 6S had been launched, come September I’d have an iPhone 15+ on iOS 21, and an iPad Air 14 on iPadOS 21, and would be happy to see that my phone and pad at still supported at 6 and 7 years old (respectively).
Lol your just making stuff up. iPhone 21? At least it’s not “iPhone uz37674”

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

okeribok

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Sony has better sound quality, superior anc (I've had passive plugs that cancel more noise than Apple) and... Superior two device experience.
I've had to reset my airpods pro too many times and still device switching is not seemless. h1 does nothing. Spatial audio is a gimmick that made then 2yo "pro" products obsolete.
When I want to hear stuff in a bubble of quiet, I pick up the Sony. Hardly use the airpods pro anymore.

Mooey

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
As always, another inferior product comparison. Apple can't beat Google in software, what makes people think they can beat Sony in audio?

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
Unfortunately since Apple doesn’t license the H1 (or any of their hardware) Sony will have to pry that H1 chip from Tim’s cold dead hands before they (or anyone) can offer that level of integration.
I know I’ll get hate, but I think this is wrong. It’s great for Apple, but has no benefit for the consumer at all. No matter how hard Sony et al work at their headphone design, they can never compete with Apple in regards to this particular feature. It’s just not a level playing field. I buy APP because of the H1, though really I don’t particularly like the design or sound, I’d much prefer the new Sony’s. They should licence the H1 out and let others really compete with them - it forces them to keep pushing the design forward.

And yes, before everyone starts with the usual “Sony could build their own phone ecosystem to compete” it’s not a valid argument.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I know I’ll get hate, but I think this is wrong. It’s great for Apple, but has no benefit for the consumer at all. No matter how hard Sony et al work at their headphone design, they can never compete with Apple in regards to this particular feature. It’s just not a level playing field. I buy APP because of the H1, though really I don’t particularly like the design or sound, I’d much prefer the new Sony’s. They should licence the H1 out and let others really compete with them - it forces them to keep pushing the design forward.

And yes, before everyone starts with the usual “Sony could build their own phone ecosystem to compete” it’s not a valid argument.
Uh Sony has had mobile phones years before Apple?? And they did try to build their own ecosystems, many times over…

Reactions: Robert.Walter

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
How are you finding them compared to the included tips?
I always get Comply tips when I get new buds and always enjoy them. But this is the first time that I found the included tips to be really good. I always get medium tips from comply, but after doing the fit test with the included tips it turns out that the small tips fit and seal better for me. So I don't know now if I should get the small or medium Comply tips, if at all.

doobydoooby

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Genève, Switzerland
I have both, and I use them for totally different purposes. The AirPods are convenient, I use them in an almost throwaway fashion for when I’m out for a walk and might want to call a friend or to listen to spoken word audiobooks, or even just if I’m on a noisy street and want to drown out the cars. They are light and easy, I use them whenever I dont want to pay attention to what is going on in my ears. The Sonys I use for listening to music, for when I want to appreciate what I’m listening to.. and these xm4 stay in the ears when you go for a vigorous walk unlike the version 3! Seriously, the difference in sound quality is massive, the AirPods don’t come close. There’s a presence to the sony headphones which is convincing and comforting, it’s a delight to listen to music through them and to be surprised at the nuances: the AirPods are childlike in comparison, they lack depth, definition, everything really. AirPods aren’t bad per se but they aren’t ever going to compete with a serious pair of proper headphones. The Sony pair *are* a proper set of headphones, easily able to compete with over ear decent headphones. But, they lack some of the integration and convenience of AirPods; not being able to tickle Siri into action by saying “Hey Siri” is a big shame.

And don’t get confused by this spatial audio thing as if it might differentiate them in favour of AirPods. They both do it, the Sony’s sound much much better doing it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.