Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Video stutter issue in Big Sur

Hammer God

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I'm having a video stutter issue in Big Sur on my early 2015 Macbook Pro. Happens in Safari mostly, but also in Chrome. Basically, the audio plays, but the picture stutters.

In Safari, it happens with videos embedded in Twitter. Also in videos at YouTube.com. Also in movies on Netflix.

In Chrome, I am able to watch Netflix. YouTube videos also seem to play okay. But videos embedded in Twitter don't play.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the pattern here.

Tried Apple chat support, but they didn't have an obvious solution, and I didn't have the time to stay online with them to try everything they wanted. May have to circle back to that when I have hours to devote to this.

Anyway see this issue?

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Having the same issue on my Early 2015 MBP 13". Video on YouTube only moves one frame every few seconds, but audio is fine. Makes YouTube pretty much unusable.

Edit: Found a fix! @Hammer God @dartheide @Aj6658

1. On Safari, go to Preferences > Advanced, and check the box at the very bottom, "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
2. Now on the Menu Bar, go to Develop > Experimental Features and disable "VP9 decoder"
3. Restart Safari
4. Go to Develop > Experimental Features and re-enable "VP9 decoder"; also enable "VP9 SW decoder on battery"
5. Restart Safari
6. YouTube should work now! If you want to hide Develop in the menu bar, go back to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the box we checked in step 1

Last edited:
Reactions: NapoleonIV

Wando64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2013
Having the same issue on my Early 2015 MBP 13". Video on YouTube only moves one frame every few seconds, but audio is fine. Makes YouTube pretty much unusable.

Edit: Found a fix! @Hammer God @dartheide @Aj6658

1. On Safari, go to Preferences > Advanced, and check the box at the very bottom, "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
2. Now on the Menu Bar, go to Develop > Experimental Features and disable "VP9 decoder"
3. Restart Safari
4. Go to Develop > Experimental Features and re-enable "VP9 decoder"; also enable "VP9 SW decoder on battery"
5. Restart Safari
6. YouTube should work now! If you want to hide Develop in the menu bar, go back to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck the box we checked in step 1

Has this solved the problem for the OP? @Hammer God
I am considering whether to update but I definitely don't want to wreck something as basic as this.

dejayou

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2020
I'm having a similar issue on an early 2015 MacBook 12". YouTube works fine for me, but on some sites the picture freezes completely while the audio continues to play.

Wando64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2013
I'm having a similar issue on an early 2015 MacBook 12". YouTube works fine for me, but on some sites the picture freezes completely while the audio continues to play.
This happens on pretty much every version of MacOS, where the image stops until you move the mouse cursor over it.
I think it is a problem with Safari (you can easily verify by trying with a different browser).
From time to time I have been seeing this with Mojave and with earlier versions of MacOS, usually resolved by erasing Safari’s caches and a reboot.
Google is full of complaints about this.

Serge!!!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
same her - would like to subsribe to the thread to see if there is a solution -> silver lining - I am not the only one - McB Pro 2015

kneedeepinlife

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
I signed up just to say that I experienced this problem, too, but I was able to solve it by clearing PRAM/NVRAM.

My system: MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015; Core i5 2.7 GHz, MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1

Problem: Stuttering gif and video playback on all websites. Issue present in Chrome (87.0.4280.67), Safari (14.0.1), Firefox (83.0 (64-bit))

Solution (for me at least): Clear PRAM/NVRAM

vasilisdmr

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
The situation, which I faced was that the audio kept on playing, but the video was frozen!
In the same time the whole system seemed to be frozen!

As Wando64 said in his comment, I tried disabling the 'VP9 Decoder' and everything seems to return to normality.

I am pasting the following in which there is pretty much the same problem posted in apple's developer section.
unable to play YouTube videos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.