Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Then this seems like a non-issue. If your mounting screws ever break, simply create a YouTube channel and build up a following similar in size to Nelson’s, create a video detailing the issue, and wait for Apple to offer to replace the machine to avoid more bad press. Easy peasy.
I am sure having a following like this guy had led to the machine being replaced. I had a bad experience with Apple Support and the Apple Store, and even though the issue was obvious, the Apple Store wouldn't do anything to fix the problem.

A few years ago, I had a failing Fusion Drive, which Apple would not replace even though it was under warranty due to passing the Apple Store's HW diagnostic test. It was clearly a drive issue, but since it passed, they would wipe my drive and reinstall the OS, only to have the issue come back a few days later. It went on for months like this, with many Apple support calls, and many trips to the Apple Store, which is not local for me.

Finally, 12 days before my AC warranty was up, the drive failed so bad that the iMac wouldn't boot at all, even in internet recovery mode. I took it to the Apple Store, and the drive finally failed their test, and it was replaced under warranty.

I wonder if I had a YouTube channel with the following that Quinn Nelson has, my issue would have been resolved much quicker.

Last edited:

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Seems like they outsourced the mount and then failed to quality test it... quite embarrassing, but so is taking 2 weeks to fix what seems a simple issue and still managing to damage the iMac’s stand? wtf

I didn’t fully understand if it’s possible for the buyer to get the mount uninstalled and replace the screws before ever installing it, that’s what I’d do in the face of this problem.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Every day I come on here I read comments of people saying,” I’ll just build a Hacktinosh.” Or “ Apple doesn’t care about its customers.” “This stuff is a rip-off.” And on and on. If people don’t like Apple, why are they wasting their time on Mac forums? Build your own tower, use Windows or Linux and shut up.

It's almost as if people like to provide feedback. It encourages companies to you know, improve products.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Every day I come on here I read comments of people saying,” I’ll just build a Hacktinosh.” Or “ Apple doesn’t care about its customers.” “This stuff is a rip-off.” And on and on. If people don’t like Apple, why are they wasting their time on Mac forums? Build your own tower, use Windows or Linux and shut up.
So, when problems like this happen, should everyone run to Apple's defense?
I have been a long time fan of Apple, but the crap that has been happening lately is indefensible.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
What was so special about this guy that he got a call from the Apple Exec Team? I have 2 Laptops both with battery issues and the 12" Mscbook that the keyboard literally melted and had no support at all from Apple...

Great that he managed to get help... but whats so special? given the recent quality issues after almost 12 years as a dedicated Apple fan I am losing faith...
It's simple: visibility. You telling us you have a problem with your laptops, buried deep in a forum, is not noticeable. A guy with 400K+ followers on Youtube saying Apple did ABC or XYZ... visibility. I get that your implying they should treat everyone equally and fairly. I agree with that sentiment. That only happens in an imaginary utopia. In the real world, some people get special treatment, cuz reasons.

Last edited:

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
Nelson acknowledges that the adapter is probably not designed to be taken on-and-off repeatedly, but Apple never warns against doing so, and switching back to the traditional stand at least once seems reasonable.

I agree with the inferior quality of Apple products nowadays or any products in general, really. BUT, I just find this very very funny!!! Or maybe it's just me who's laughing?

Reactions: groadyho

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
And this is why I hope my current Apple stuff works until the lightbulbs go off at ApplePark; or until I am almost done with my degree two years from now.

I'll deal with Windows at work; but I cannot roll with it at home.

I've learned my lesson with today's Apple: Wait on new releases of hardware, do not buy the most expensive Apple product (never use all the bells and whistles anyway), and do not upgrade the software unless you absolutely must. So darn sad. Cook needs to stop with the cutting corners crap and pronto. Build quality for hardware and software needs to improve, stat.

mw78

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
This is one anecdote. It seems like every week vloggers are just trying to find something wrong with Apple hardware. Then forums fill up with a bunch of comments from people who don’t even own this stuff. Whatever.
No one is "trying to find something wrong." There ARE things wrong, hence the post. Years ago, Apple was much better at balancing design and functionality. Now, where there are missing design elements (e.g., who doesn't simply provide VESA mount holes on the back of the display in 2018?), Apple's solution is to provide an over-priced and poorly sourced product.

Last edited by a moderator:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
It is pretty ridiculous that they include crappy screws on a mount that needs strong screws to hold it. That’s easily fixable with a run to ace hardware to find some small screws that fit(if they have them). But still you shouldn’t need to do that for this.
My main problem is Apple damaging his computer and not telling him. Completely ruining his other mount and not saying anything.
I don’t know if another person would of had the same experience as him with getting it fixed it does seem hit or miss with what people get covered with Apple but I would of thrown a fit if they scratched up my 5k computer I would of asked for a new one and more them likely been turned down. It’s good the guys made a video on it.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Nobody would be complaining if they didn't like Apple products... or at least, didn't want them to improve.
Kudos to Macrumors for publishing a negative story on Apple without spinning it in some way, you guys surprised me. Also Snazzy Labs rocks, keep it up!
Even MacRumors had to give this one up. I'm sure they tried to think of something though.

Last edited:

ronross

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
MO

...because I believe everyone has the right to express their opinion. This includes you.

Last edited by a moderator:

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Stop playing the Apple apologist. No one is "trying to find something wrong." There ARE things wrong, hence the post. Years ago, Apple was much better at balancing design and functionality. Now, where there are missing design elements (e.g., who doesn't simply provide VESA mount holes on the back of the display in 2018?), Apple's solution is to provide an over-priced and poorly sourced product.

Like I said. People who don’t own these products. If you had an iMac Pro or new MacBook Pro then I would care about what you had to say.

Reactions: CosmoCopus

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Apple failed to provide adequate support and failed to quality control on third party adapters. But after checking more of Snazzy Labs videos its easy to see he's doing it for the hits as this video shows:

Acting like upgrading his own iMac he can do it cheaper which is also faster performance is no surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.