Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple with macOS Ventura and iOS 16 introduced a new feature called Continuity Camera, which is designed to allow you to use an iPhone as a webcam for your Mac. This is enabled through special mounts, and Apple partnered with Belkin for an official Continuity Camera accessory.

The Belkin iPhone Mount with MagSafe for Mac Notebooks is available from Apple for $30, though it's backordered until December and difficult to get. It's the only official Continuity Camera mount so far, though you can find some knockoffs and other versions on Amazon.

Belkin's mount basically attaches to an iPhone using MagSafe, and then a lipped stand on the back folds out. The stand fits right over the edge of a Mac notebook like a MacBook Pro or a MacBook air, and it puts the iPhone in the ideal position to capture video.

You can use the mount in landscape or portrait orientation, with portrait showing a bit less of the background behind you. The camera activates automatically when your iPhone is mounted to your Mac and an app like FaceTime is opened up.

It's a super simple accessory that's probably overpriced, but it does work well. The iPhone camera is leagues better than what you get on a Mac, even Apple's newest Macs, so it's worth it if you do a lot of video calls.

Continuity Camera has extra features like Center Stage support to keep you in frame if you move around, Portrait Mode for blurring the background, Studio Light for focusing the light on you, and a Desk View that shows what's on your desktop by taking advantage of the Ultra Wide camera.

You can also use the Belkin mount as a kickstand for the iPhone when it's not attached to the Mac, and it also serves as a PopSocket alternative.

Have you tried the Belkin iPhone Mount and Continuity Camera? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Article Link: Video: Testing Continuity Camera With Belkin's iPhone MagSafe Mount

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
I bought a designer mount for only $25, and it can be used with devices that don't have magsafe
Unknown.jpeg

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2021
Looking at this demo, it’s pretty clear that you don’t have to have the mount. You could just place the iPhone on a shelf behind the laptop or even keep it on that snake like holder thing lying around.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
My question, and the only reason I haven't bought one yet...

Will this thing work on a desktop monitor or is the clasp too small?
Way too small, it's only a few millimeters of grip so that it attaches to thin macbook lids. They are working on one for the studio display, I imagine that one will be more compatible with other displays.

Juggernaut99

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
western NY
I ordered one of these on launch day, but didn't actually "need" to use it until a meeting yesterday. I was nervous about the tilt of my MBP screen, but otherwise it was fantastic. The lip that holds it to the screen is super small, but it is solid. I wish I had paid closer attention to the battery drain on the phone, but I can always just plug it into the laptop next time I want to try it.

I have a 13 pro, I can imagine that with a Max-sized phone I woulda been much more nervous.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
They probably could have made a holder with MagSafe power for long video conferences.
This was my first thought-- it it could charge the phone while being used it would be much more practical. What we need is a MagSafe puck with a short cable and a kickstand.

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

dioncodes

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2021
I don't really see the benefit of mounting that on a MacBook, that already has a decent built-in camera. That only makes sense when using that desk view (for which there are only very little use cases imo) or if some YouTuber or streamer records himself in high quality/4k.

I really need a mount that fits on my Dell (U2718Q) display - I was waiting for Ventura for so long as I really like the idea of just mounting the iPhone on the display instead of having to use an ugly webcam. But I did a lot of research when Ventura came out and didn't find a suitable mount yet. Did I miss something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.