Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I'll leave this just here for the ones scared mounting stuff on their Macbook. It's cheaper too.
94DF5462-62B3-4C4A-87C1-4A6CAB0E46C1.jpeg

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't really see the benefit of mounting that on a MacBook, that already has a decent built-in camera. That only makes sense when using that desk view (for which there are only very little use cases imo) or if some YouTuber or streamer records himself in high quality/4k.

I really need a mount that fits on my Dell (U2718Q) display - I was waiting for Ventura for so long as I really like the idea of just mounting the iPhone on the display instead of having to use an ugly webcam. But I did a lot of research when Ventura came out and didn't find a suitable mount yet. Did I miss something?

There are some people who create video content for subscribers only. Some fans pay more for higher quality video.

For people who want to conference call normally, this feature is a gimmick.

• Haha
Reactions: Hal~9000 and ian87w

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I do wish they'd found a way to make it adjustable so it works on an iMac or other desktop monitor.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It is a disappointment for me. Works well, but there is no way to use the front camera, which would make perfect sense, since, my phone is in a dock facing me all day. Why does literally no review even mention this?
I think the improvement you'd see with a front-facing camera vs. a MacBook's webcam would be a lot more modest than with the rear-facing camera.

Reactions: DarkSam

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
What a painful video review to watch, the first half is unboxing a widget and reading directions for something that does not need directions. There was no prep to have something on the desk to test the desk view feature.

Other than the desk view feature, this seems like like an answer in search of a problem product.

Reactions: arkitect and Shifts

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
the continuity camera is an impressive webcam - lightyears ahead of logitech‘s and others stuff. If I only knew where to put it … so I continue to use my Logitech 4k Pro…

docbop

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Apple with macOS Ventura and iOS 16 introduced a new feature called Continuity Camera, which is designed to allow you to use an iPhone as a webcam for your Mac. This is enabled through special mounts, and Apple partnered with Belkin for an official Continuity Camera accessory.

The Belkin iPhone Mount with MagSafe for Mac Notebooks is available from Apple for $30, though it's backordered until December and difficult to get. It's the only official Continuity Camera mount so far, though you can find some knockoffs and other versions on Amazon.

Belkin's mount basically attaches to an iPhone using MagSafe, and then a lipped stand on the back folds out. The stand fits right over the edge of a Mac notebook like a MacBook Pro or a MacBook air, and it puts the iPhone in the ideal position to capture video.

You can use the mount in landscape or portrait orientation, with portrait showing a bit less of the background behind you. The camera activates automatically when your iPhone is mounted to your Mac and an app like FaceTime is opened up.

It's a super simple accessory that's probably overpriced, but it does work well. The iPhone camera is leagues better than what you get on a Mac, even Apple's newest Macs, so it's worth it if you do a lot of video calls.

Continuity Camera has extra features like Center Stage support to keep you in frame if you move around, Portrait Mode for blurring the background, Studio Light for focusing the light on you, and a Desk View that shows what's on your desktop by taking advantage of the Ultra Wide camera.

You can also use the Belkin mount as a kickstand for the iPhone when it's not attached to the Mac, and it also serves as a PopSocket alternative.

Have you tried the Belkin iPhone Mount and Continuity Camera? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Article Link: Video: Testing Continuity Camera With Belkin's iPhone MagSafe Mount
As a musician who makes video with iPhone a lot it would be nice if someone would make a MagSafe microphone stand adapter. Most the iPhone adapters today are like a big claw and end up covering to much of the screen so seeing to position the phone and also tapping on setting is a PIA.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Looking at this demo, it’s pretty clear that you don’t have to have the mount. You could just place the iPhone on a shelf behind the laptop or even keep it on that snake like holder thing lying around.
Right. Or even hand-held / "vlog style".

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
There is this option to mount the phone coming from RollingSquare. I've backed several of their projects and they have always come through with quality products. Lots of flexible options and it will work great for continuity camera

garethsuarez

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Looking at this demo, it’s pretty clear that you don’t have to have the mount. You could just place the iPhone on a shelf behind the laptop or even keep it on that snake like holder thing lying around.
if you place it on a shelf, make sure to prop it up well. if you get an alert or whatnot it can vibrate and fall over, or off the shelf (I may have done that a few times)

Reactions: LoveTo

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Comparing the video between my 14in Macbook Pro and my iPhone 13 Pro Max, its a world of difference.

However, im not convinced with this Belkin mount. I think I would much rather have a dedicated tripod thing behind my laptop. Any recommendations?

Reactions: PhilBoogie

audieddie

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
This is where my 3D printer and Fusion 360 pays off. I'll bang out a clip that uses a magsafe charger puck, and let me mount *AND* charge the phone.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Apple really needed the foresight to incorporate MagSafe into the MacBook lids for this to be cool. A fine line between epic and epic fail 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: ikjadoon

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
I see this as “We're not putting the full suite of multiple cameras into the laptops, so if you want the features like Center Stage and Desk View, this is your solution.”

I'm okay with that, I'd rather not see the laptop prices higher when this technique works great and other than figuring out how to stand/mount the phone costs nothing extra.

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
What about Apple finally giving their $3k laptops a decent webcam?
please take a look at the size of iPhone camera sensors and then take a look at the thinness of a macbook screen and tell me how apple would be able to fit such a large sensor in that space

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I designed and 3D printed my own mount. But oddly, "Continuity Camera" has been really glitchy. I was on a Zoom call with my Logi webcam and suddenly my video froze and Zoom shifted to my iPhone camera. My iPhone was in my pocket at the time. I couldn't get Zoom to switch back to my webcam. Then today, my webcam is working fine, but Zoom apparently can't see Continuity Camera any more. It doesn't come up in settings, and it also won't appear in FaceTime, whether the webcam is plugged in or not.

Reactions: davidf18
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.