Video Walkthrough of Mac OS X Lion Developer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_mL1k4Zwf1I

News of Apple's Mac OS X Lion developer seed was quickly drowned out by Apple's launch of the new MacBook Pros and this week's iPad launch news. While there's no real new news on the Mac OS X Lion front, a few more videos have been posted on YouTube providing walkthroughs of many of the features found in Apple's upcoming Mac OS X.

This particular video (embedded above) posted this past week provides a thorough walkthrough of many of the features found in Lion, if you haven't had a chance to play with it yourself.

Apple's Mac OS X Lion is expected to launch "this summer", likely near WWDC. Apple has not yet publicly scheduled WWDC for this year, but speculation has pinpointed early June as the possible date.

Article Link: Video Walkthrough of Mac OS X Lion Developer

2. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

3. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

I'm excited for some real news on Lion. Hopefully this month we'll get a preview of it and iOS 5

4. David-fr macrumors 6502

Eager for the new cat :)

You used Inception music didn't ya?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Is that Ripple effect actually occurring in Lion? Or is it a video effect?

7. skellter macrumors newbie

8. pmz macrumors 68000

Lion is going to be really nice. A lot more improvements than Snow Leopard.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Wow! How much longer are we waiting? :eek: I see early June, but that's speculative...(Please NO POLLS!)

10. David-fr macrumors 6502

Snow leopard had major INTERNAL improvements, not UI based :D.

Summer 2011

11. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

am i the only one who finds Launch Pad pretty pointless? You've got the dock for your most frequent apps, and then the apps folder as a stack in the dock for all the others? Does Launch Pad improve on this at all? I'm usually not a hater of new features, i'm always up for new stuff, but this one just strikes me as totally redundant.

12. hismikeness macrumors regular

watching the video and noticing some of the background color gradients, did anyone else think this just might translate to 3D pretty nicely. Cover flow in 3D, while the novelty would wear off, it would be a great way to market it... eventually.

13. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Very nice video. I can't wait for Lion.

Yeah, I agree. I just use my apps folder in my dock, and have my most used apps in the dock as well. Perhaps is may be nice for those who don't like the dock and want an iOS experience out of it.

14. bdkennedy1 macrumors 65816

Apple has a long way to go. That was all embarrassingly complicated.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Video effect.

16. CartoonHeroII macrumors member

CartoonHeroII

I mostly agree with you. However, it will be an amazing feature for my in-laws. They're always calling me up asking how to get to their applications. I try to keep the Applications folder in their dock, but they keep on accidentally removing it and haven't figured out how to get it back. They've only recently switched from Windows, and they're not computer-savvy in the least, so giving them another way to launch their apps (and bonus for them, annoying for me, Launch Pad cannot as of this build be removed from the dock) is a great thing for my sanity.

17. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think lion has an app stack by default in the dock.

18. meagain macrumors 68030

When safari crashes, I want the windows to reopen in the Spaces they were in. That's all. Please.

19. ApplLover macrumors member

ApplLover

Launchpad is redundant in my opinion.. just click the applications folder! or use finder..

The thing i most like about my apple desktop is that its CLEAN not cluttered with shortcuts like windows...

Would like to see more GUI changes..

20. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Re: LaunchPad

I think some UI designed for iPad's 9.7" touchscreen shouldnt be directly copied to Mac Computers with larger screen sizes up to 27" or more!

It's a waste of screen estate.

21. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Two things, first, thank you for using my video for the article.

Secondly, I uploaded a second one last night that covers a few lesser features and ones I forgot to cover the first time. I'm still looking for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6xvP0wEoFI

22. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Using this prerelease and it does everything shown.

What's with the Shawshank music? Totally wrong, but then again, everyone's a music editor nowadays.

23. Jasoco macrumors 6502

There are three songs in each of my videos, and if you read the description on YouTube, you see that they are just to keep the videos from being boringly silent. Since I didn't feel like recording my voice for them.

24. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

25. Jasoco macrumors 6502

Surprised the MacRumors crowd hates LaunchPad so much. I think it's the best feature of the OS and will let me finally remove DragThing after 10 years.

Okay, second best. The first being the new Spaces paradigm. And when Chrome is updated for fullscreen (The Lion way) and hopefully iTunes, I will be all set. Gestures make Lion all the more awesome. And a lot easier to navigate than Snow Leopard.

But YMMV.