Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is Apple Watch launch day in the United States and eight other first wave launch countries, and many customers around the world are busy setting up their new smartwatch or anxiously waiting for their package to be delivered. Meanwhile, the teardown team at repair website iFixit flew to Melbourne, Australia to get their hands on the Apple Watch and take it apart to see what's inside.

Apple-Watch-Unboxed.jpg
Apple Watch Sport unboxed (Source: Instagram/Steve Belisle)
iFixit started by prying open the display and disconnecting the display and digitizer cables underneath, getting a first look at the Taptic Engine, inside of the Digital Crown and internal 205 mAh battery. Digging further into the Apple Watch, the team got a closer look at various components for haptic feedback, an ambient light sensor and S1 integrated processor. Overall, the Apple Watch received a 5 out of 10 repairability score.

Apple Watch launched today in the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom following a two-week pre-order window that started April 10 at 12:01 AM Pacific. The watch will be sold exclusively online until at least June, with no walk-in purchases being taken at Apple retail stores in any of the first wave launch countries.

Article Link: Videos Showcase Apple Watch Launch Lines, Teardown and More

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
I think I am not the first one, but it would be awesome if there was some kind of toggle switch to turn off the apple watch articles on the front page.

Vote this up , if you are sick of this hype.

I just want the option.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I think I am not the first one, but it would be awesome if there was some kind of toggle switch to turn off the apple watch articles on the front page.

I just want the option.

YOU ARE THE TOGGLE! Simply stop reading the articles you're not interested in.

I would never read and click on a article I wasn't interested in.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
The response video I'm most looking forward to is me going "FINALLY" when my status changes from "Processing Items" to "Shipped."

Toronto/April 10/3:06am/42mmSS/BSB

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014

I just want the option.

I'd like to toggle your comments off # Most of us here are excitedly waiting for delivery - don't read it if you don't want to, especially don't comment on the very type of article you're tired of!

macguy90

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Upstate NY

I just want the option.

If you don't care about the Watch, then don't click on anything regarding it. Nobody is forcing you to read these articles, are they? It's a new product from Apple. They are one of the most relevant tech companies in the world, so yes today's tech news will be dominated by Apple Watch.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
On the Apple Watch store pages, the sport green is a nice limey/yellowy sort of color.
In the above photo it's hideous! More like a taffy green. Hope it's just a lousy photo or it's going to be a long wait until my spare black band shows up.

As to "launch", still say it's a weak launch. Very little news coverage. Have seen none out my way. And by "news" I mean general interest news, not tech news. It needs to make noise with the general public.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
So ifixit broke the watch in the teardown process. at least its doable to change the battery.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
So in other words, don't buy if you want to upgrade the RAM in a few years to make photo editing a bit smoother :rolleyes:

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
The first thing I thought of when my SS Watch arrived at my door: "Geeze this is a heavy box! Did they send me a bunch of Watches??" ;) It turned out to be just the one I ordered, but the boxing materials, case, etc. are truly premium, causing the heavy weight. The device feels fantastic on my wrist; the white fluoroelastic band looks so clean and hip, but doesn't feel like plastic or rubber – it feels like what would happen if oxygen-free rubber and a supple Italian leather band got drunk at a party, and got dirty. It's a love child that is sure to create conversation. :D :apple:

TheLastOfConnor

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2015
On the Apple Watch store pages, the sport green is a nice limey/yellowy sort of color.
In the above photo it's hideous! More like a taffy green. Hope it's just a lousy photo or it's going to be a long wait until my spare black band shows up.

As to "launch", still say it's a weak launch. Very little news coverage. Have seen none out my way. And by "news" I mean general interest news, not tech news. It needs to make noise with the general public.

I have an Apple Watch with green band and it does indeed look more like a lime colour, so rest assured. I too have a black band on order and wasn't liking the idea of being stuck with green until it arrives but seeing it in person persuaded me that it's not so bad after all.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo

I just want the option.

I wouldn't mind this for any product, just for "non spoilers" I kind of wanted to be surprised by the sport box, but knew i was gonna see it on the webpage so just accepted it.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
To call this a launch is a joke. This has been a complete FUBAR, but the team at Apple. I really hope they can get their act together quickly and clean up the smelly stuff quick.

As for the teardown, I am always facinated watching them destroy a perfectly good product and how much it is totally pointless. I doubt I would ever take my Apple stuff to get it repaired anywhere other than apple. (just be careful to step around the mess on aisle 4 - the watch aisle).

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Meanwhile,some of us will be sitting in the comfort of our home waiting for our delivery guy #

And the rest of us are stressing out rapidly refreshing the order page every 5 milliseconds hoping to finally see something other then f**ing "Processing"

It is totally messed up that I ordered in the first couple minutes and the only update I've received on my order is the Email of Death on Wednesday :(

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

Normally I would agree, but it's gotten to the point where it is very hard to find the articles that are NOT about the Apple Watch. Normal skimming does not work.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America

I just want the option.

I clicked on the article just to say the same thing. I was thinking of more of a filter, but either way.

From my tea-stained keyboard, formerly in a paper-covered IT office for rows of edit bays of Macs doing Mac things.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
And the rest of us are stressing out rapidly refreshing the order page every 5 milliseconds hoping to finally see something other then f**ing "Processing"

It is totally messed up that I ordered in the first couple minutes and the only update I've received on my order is the Email of Death on Wednesday :(

I did not even get the email, so sadly, you are ahead of me. :(

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali

Well.... I'm sorry my friend.... I hope you get yours soon.

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland

What he said. Ever since the EOD, I've gone from being disappointed, to diplomatic, to just plain hacked off.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef

Fair enough, but honestly as of this post 11 out of the 12 articles on the front and 6 of the 8 second page articles prominently or exclusively feature Apple Watch content.

Thats a solid 85% of whats on the News Blog as being focused on Apple Watch, and this isn't just today...

I find it odd that one of the main reasons that people don't wear watches (if you as a typical smart-phone owner) is that they 'have a phone' in their pocket.

Yet _somehow_ Apple has managed to sell millions of watches to these same people who obviously already own a phone that is capable of nearly _every single feature_ that the Apple Watch has, and most likely if surveyed do not currently wear watches. (There are obvious exceptions, but for crying out loud look around today at the number of people who don't wear watches... and who will be doing so after getting their Apple Watch - for some reason)

I think this is something of a scandal and yes I will agree with a previous poster displays 'hype' of amazing proportions, gargantuan I might add.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.