Viewing the Clock During Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BAMbambam, Jan 11, 2008.

1. BAMbambam macrumors newbie

This has been bugging me forever! It seems that every phone known to man has a clock right on the face. In fact most people my age don't even wear watches anymore, they just us their phones. When I don't touch my iphone for 1 min, it goes into sleep mode and doesn't display the time.

How can I get the iphone to display the time while in sleep mode?!

any suggestions?

thanks.

also it would be nice if someone knows how to set the iphone so it will turn off of vibrate at a set time. Say i have a meeting that lasts until 3pm. my old phone you could set on silent until 3pm, at which point it would go back to its normal ringer.

thanks again!

2. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

when its locked if you press the lock button on top or the home button the unlock screen will light up and the times on that.

3. BAMbambam thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, sorry. let me be more specific.

I'm not talking about touching buttons to display the time. I want to know how you can get it to constantly display the time so you don't have to touch anything or even be physically near it to see what time it is. You know, the way other phones do.

thx

4. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

not sure you can do that would be a massive battery drain if it did!

5. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I would love this feature as well, used to have it on my old Sony Ericsson (sorry for the bad language)!! After locking the phone, the time was displayed in big white letters on the black screen, very handy and looks nice as well.

Hopefully this may be added soon, either by Apple or using the SDK. I don't need to tell you that I am not going to give up my iPhone because of the lack of this feature though :D

6. nlivo macrumors 6502a

it wouldn't be a drain at all. my sony erricson does it brilliantly. All the pixels (or little lights, i have no idea what they're called) are off except there are only a few lit up in black to display the time. It's really handy. It would be great if the iPhone did that.

7. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

the iphone display is much bigger than your old sony erricson and would still use up power and i'm asuming that it would have to move around so the time would not burn into the screen which would also use up power.
    i don't disagree it would be handy but i don't find it too much of a pain to press one of the buttons to see the time.

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Forget it. Too much power drain, and really.... is it so damn hard to stretch out your hand and press one button? For this you get way more standby time than other phones. Think different.

9. Antj29 macrumors member

i requested this feature on the feeedback forum to apple, also if they could say when you receive a text or missed call, its just normal standard phone features.

10. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Erm, it does say if you receive a text or a missed call...? It even previews the text without you having to press a button.

Or have I misunderstood your problem?

11. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

He means when the screen has gone to black, theres no indication of the time, messages etc. without having to press a button.

Doesn't bother me though lol, if I've been away from my phone for a while I just press the home button and I can see if I've got a message.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Which is a shame. Maybe this is Apple's little attempt to reverse that and bring a little class and style back to society. We know Steve is a fan of both of those things.

13. BAMbambam thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't know that class and style were defined by wristwatches.

As for the people who don't want the OP's feature, it's amazing to me how many ppl in the forum have such blind faith in apple. Job's wanted it this way, maybe it's better his way, maybe we shouldn't have the option at all! it's like a religion.

How's this for an idea: you could have both! the option to turn on the sleep clock or turn it off if you want to save yourself from the impending "massive battery drain" that nokia, sony, motorolla, and all other phone companies miraculously bypass, obviously with some magical pixie dust.

14. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

Yep....methinks this is part of a diabolical plot on Jobs' part to have Apple enter the consumer wristwatch market... Can't wait to see what they come up with!! :D

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

A Watch = Shirt with buttons
    No Watch = Sleeveless tank top

There are times and places for all of those things. I'm not saying everyone needs to wear a watch ALL the time. But to admit that you don't even own one? I see that the same as someone who ONLY owns tank top shirts.

Do you ever go to an event where a suit and tie are the proper attire? You actually pull out a phone to check the time in those situations? Those are the times a watch is much more appropriate.

Anyway, I'm not saying that cell phone time-checking is always wrong. There's plenty of times that's useful. So in that, I agree that this feature would be nice.

I'm just complaining about people who say they don't own watches or NEVER wear them. Come on, now.

EDIT: Don't take my comments too personally. I also think everyone should drive stick-shift cars. Obviously I'm not going to win anyone over with my opinions, but I'm still going to have them, gosh darn it! :)

16. BAMbambam thread starter macrumors newbie

You make a lot of assumptions. Let me count the ways...

1st assumption - watches are instantly classy. have you ever seen a swatch?
    2nd assumption - people in tank tops don't wear watches. some of them do, and they get really intense wrist tans.
    3rd assumption - I, the OP, doesn't own any watches. This must be true because I just want a damn sleeping clock option on my $400 phone! It's no mystery that Apple's never made a phone before.

and Yes, you can use your cell phone to check the time, even if you're wearing a suit. Don't worry, the stuck up socialites and aristocrats won't think you're unstylish. If they do, maybe they make too many assumptions.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Since there are some watches that aren't classy, that means NO watches are classy? That's what you're saying? I dissagree.

An analogy is when you say something like "a computer is like a car...the more you spend the more you get." Saying that does not have anything to do with putting computers IN cars. It's a comparisson. You're not supposesd to combine them.

I'm sorry for this one. I assumed that someone who doesn't wear watches wouldn't own them. I guess I should have realized you might buy things that you have no intention of using. I wouldn't do that, but I shouldn't have assumed that you'd be the same as me.

18. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't own a watch, I haven't worn one in many many years. I hate watches and don't want anything strapped around my wrist. I dress up in a suit and tie all the time and don't see what that has to do with wearing a watch. I suppose there are some watches that are meant to be stylish but I don't consider a watch to be the definition of class or style in any way. If you do then that's fine, but not everyone agrees. If I need to know the time I pull out my phone or look around for a clock. I think this is fast becoming the norm and we will see less and less people wearing watches as time goes on.
    Back on topic, I sort of wish the iPhone would show the time while in sleep mode as well, but I don't know if it's worth it to me to sacrifice battery life for it. If it could be done without significant battery strain then I would like to see it included, even just as an option.
    Edit: Small White Car, I also hate manual transmission and avoid it whenever possible. There are enough distractions on the road without adding a bunch more inside the car as well! Sorry, I had to add that in there since I was disagreeing with you anyway on the watch thing! :)

19. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

The display on those other phones is a secondary display. Designed to show a minimum of information and to be a lower drain on the battery. the iPhone does not have such a secondary display and so the entire display would have to be lit up causing a larger drain on the battery. I guess having the option would be a solution but I wear a watch so it doesnt bug me.

20. PatMack macrumors member

Do not attack the Swatch. Don't you see? :) The Swatch is that watch to wear when your feeling casual. However, i wear a swatch at all times. Nice and simple. Elegant, yet sporty. :cool:

ANYWAYS, I totally understand what the OP is saying. In fact, my home button has gotten loose from pressing it so much to see the time.

However, with the LCD panel in the iPhone, it is either ON or OFF. There is no way to engage only certain pixels. Leaving the entire screen on would:

A.) Give you the same battery life as watching videos. (~7 hours) [It is a common misconception that the content on the screen, ie. only the clock, changes the power consumption. This is untrue. The backlight stays on no matter what.]

B.) The phone would get quite hot. If it was dark, the iPhone would be glowing in the pocket of any light colored clothing.

Just my thoughts on the subject. Swatches and Switzerland FTW!

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

This kind of thread irritates me. People that compare a phone with a 3.5" touchscreen to a little flip phone. The screen on the front of most flip phones is what, 3/4" square? It's easy to leave that showing time...most phones do it without backlight, thus using almost no battery whatsoever.

Now, you are asking for the 3.5" screen to never turn off. That would drain the battery very quickly. You can't turn on just part of a screen.

People always use the quote "my old phone did it". This is a different product. My old TV had knobs and buttons. My new TV has just a power button. Why couldn't they build my new TV with more buttons? Because, they just didn't...and it would look ugly.

The problem is, people get SO used to niche features on other phones, that they think that any phone without them is subpar. I mean, scheduled vibrate. Really? Flipping a small switch is THAT difficult? Great if they put it in...awesome. But to complain that the phone doesn't have this niche feature in its original concept is just dumb.

If you want a different product, get a different product. Stop bitching that you didn't do your research and expect this phone to do things it was not designed to do. This is not blind Apple-fanboyism...this is common sense. Apple designed a touchscreen phone. If you want a touchscreen phone, buy an iPhone. If you want buttons and small front screens that show time and scheduled vibrate, buy a phone that does that. It's really not that difficult.

24. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It's quite simple...Just go to settings/auto-lock/never.