VIP Pass for O2 online orders??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMadUK, Jul 4, 2008.

1. MacMadUK macrumors member

2. badgerman macrumors 6502a

3. onescoop macrumors member

yeah, because queue jumpers are tolerated really well here.

Why don't online pre-orders just get dispatched via courier if iPhones are going to be delivered into stores before the 11th anyway? (if it's going on sale at 7:02 it will have to leave warehouses on the 10th).

4. zed2 macrumors 6502a

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

VIP Passes?
    To pick up a phone… oh dear that just sounds wrong. :eek:

I'd be quite happy to wait in line and pick up my pre-order instore (current iPhone user) — rather than be a twat wih a VIP pass. :p

Exactly what I'm thinking.

6. zed2 macrumors 6502a

Well my take on it would be that there is no way the currier can deliver all the upgrades on the 11th before 0702 in the morning.. And Apple wont let them ship them for delivery on the 10th. Therefore some customers wanting to be the first to hold the new phone will be upset... maybe this way:

1. the phone is activated in store
    2. they save the cost of shipping all the phones
    3. what time you get the phone is your own problem and not O2

--Zed

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

I simply don't think the lines will be so long that farting around with VIP passes would be worth the effort for them. All it'll do is create bad feeling with all the people who aren't 'important' enough to jump the queue.

8. zed2 macrumors 6502a

and how will this tally with the first come first served that O2 have already talked about.

If I pre-order but don't get down to the shop before lunch and they have sold out.. ???

--Zed

9. zed2 macrumors 6502a

OR an even longer VIP Queue than the normal Queue! :p

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I would much rather be able to pop to one of the O2 or Carphone Warehouse stores situated every four square feet in this country on the way to work than have to book a day off to wait at home for a courier who may or may not turn up at any time and if anything goes wrong I have to drive twenty miles to some godawful courier depot in the middle of nowhere (at some time where I'd have to book another half day off work) or pay them £20 extra for a Saturday delivery.

Phazer

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

They'll already have to have shipped on the 10th for delivery to the stores.. quite possibly earlier than that, depending on how efficient their supply lines are. There's really no difference between shipping to stores on the 10th and shipping a crate or three to DHL for distribution on the 11th.

The couriers won't arrive before 7.02.. they'll arrive before 5pm on the 11th as usual (one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a phone online.. you have to wait in all day for the courier to turn up).

12. onescoop macrumors member

If it's launched at 7:02 then couriers couldn't deliver any iPhones before that anyway, that would be the earliest they would be able to deliver from (and knowing DHL, who O2 use, it would be from about 8-6). It would also point to why the existing owners page of the o2 website says 'one of the first' rather than 'the first' to get your hands on etc etc

13. MacMadUK thread starter macrumors member

Was just going to say the same thing ...

"First come first served, unless you have a VIP pass - which you got ordering online, which we said you couldn't do, but now you can"

Don't you just love rumors! Now just to decide whether to get a 3G iPhone in White (which isn't available at launch), a 16GB Black 3G iPhone (also not available at launch), or an 8GB Black 3G iPhone on PAYG (also not available at launch)...... ho hum ...

14. onescoop macrumors member

Oh I agree, most phone companies are happy to ship to work addresses though - if they don't with this I won't be a happy fanboy.

15. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Yep, just rung up CPW direct sales for my sins, they confirmed that we can pre-order from Monday; do all credit checks etc and guarantee one with my name on either in store at 7.02am on the 11th or at home between 9-5pm... no mention of Q VIP passes though so not sure this is worth it. So I guess this confirms no instore actiavtion is mandatory.

He said is both 8 & 16gbs but not white.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Doesn't help those of us who work in buildings that won't accept personal packages for security reasons because the building is considered a terrorist target.

Phazer

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Not so much jumping "the sacred 1 and only queue" as being in a different queue. Happens all the time at clubs, GP surgeries, genius bars... ;)

I think it will take a lot of the hassle of setting up all these handsets, which is a good thing - everyone would be complaining about the wait due to lengthy credit checks that they could have done beforehand otherwise...

18. sneeks macrumors 6502a

All upgrades I have had sent to me from o2 have always had to go to my home address.

19. yogamonkey macrumors 6502

yogamonkey

I'd be happy if this was true. It would give a purpose to the pre-registration nonsense, and means I don't have to stress about the fact I have a train to catch at 12:00 and can't sit at home all day waiting for a courier.

As for the 'VIP' queue jump, there should be perks for being an early adopter and if this is one of them I welcome it! Not that I can see there being a massive queue of people outside o2 in Southend High Street at 7am though.

20. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

is this for upgraders or everyone??
    hopefully only upgraders:D

21. Badgerguy macrumors member

This seems a little odd.

Sure, it's possible they might ready a website where you can choose a store, and then reserve stock from that store - but any problem in that kind of system, even an admin error, is going to result in dissapointment for affected customers. Then of course they have to have a way for each store to validate these 'VIP tickets' - again, any problem here would just bring the launch day to a grinding halt. They'll have enough on their plate just processing all the new contract setups from people switching!

In the meantime - it seems the only proactive thing you can do is make sure you have your PAC code number ready for launch day (if you're a switcher - also helps to know what documents you might need to bring for them to check your ID and do the credit check!).

I may call O2 later in case it's worth me going in over the weekend to get credit checks done - if that particular rumour is true!

--
    BG

22. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I said I was a new customer, didnt think to ask about upgrades. :(

TBH, just rang up 2 local stores who couldnt confirm what the direct sales said so I would not take anything as read until we get official emails from O2 or CPW. I now suspect that maybe Monday.

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is interesting. Guess I'll be checking both MacRumors and the O2 website every minute of every day in the next week so that as soon as there is an option to order something I'm there. I'm just hoping that Apple has stockpiled enough phones..

24. badgerman macrumors 6502a

2 O2 stores in Manc said they we no longer offering pre-credit checks, although when I rang them up 2 days ago they said they werent doing it yet and to call back Friday 4th when they had more info, so not sure when they did offer it and what that actually means if you did get a check come Friday other than your helping the people in the Q behind you?

This launch is extracting the Michael

25. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

That is pretty much exactly what i'll be doing. Not so I don't have to queue on 11th, but so I can be safe in knowledge (if this rumour is true) that there is a phone waiting for me at my local store. I will still be there at 7:02 (probably earlier) just so I can get my hands on it ASAP. Can't wait!