virus on parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benlee, Jun 10, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

2. Henriok macrumors regular

It's not a question if it can happen as much as if it will happen, and the answer to that is also Yes.

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I cant taint my mac like that. I guesss win xp will stay off of it. I dont really need it anyways.

4. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Any viruses you get on xp will not affect Mac OS X.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes, if you don't watch out.

On the other hand, there is no reason to use mail and internet on Parallels, and if you don't use these than a lot of the risk is already gone. And a virus in Parallels won't infect MacOS X.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can make a snapshot, so you can rollback when you get malware :)

7. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

The point is, if you get a virus it'll kill your Virtual Machine, but then you can just press the "stop" button and keep using your Mac whilst the viruses is kept on your Windows part.

A lot of companies that use Windows use Virtual Machines so that if something does happen it won't affect their hardware and kill their multi-million dollar company. (Or something like that)

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

not exactly true. theoretically someone can gain access to OS X with a malware specifically designed for parallels users. this is because the "global sharing" feature, which is enabled by default, allows the guest OS to write and execute files in OS X.

9. AussieSusan macrumors member

I run Windows XP in both the Parallels and the VMWare Fusion beta environments. I also have the same virus checkers and other software that runs on my PC running on the virtual PCs.

I believe that that is about as good as you can get.

As with all things, it's a trade-off between using the Windows-based software and still having access to the Mac-based stuff vs. protecting yourself against all of the nasties that float around the internet.

Susan