virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nick96ss, Jun 6, 2010.

1. nick96ss macrumors member

nick96ss

i was checking my msn mail on my macbook pro and opened an email from someone i knew , but it turned out to be a a virus i guess , cause it sends out medical info to all the people on my friends list . what do i do to stop this .
    everyday i get 30-50 postmaster undeliverable mail in my email folder .
    help .

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

That's not a virus.

Trojan horses, malicious emails and the like are not necessarily viruses.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Are you talking about Windows on your Mac ? Or the MSN mail website ?

I don't believe there is a email virus on OSX.

4. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

You don't have a virus. You can't get a virus. Please wait for GGJStudios to post and show you that you're being incredibly foolish. ;)

MRoogle can answer all of these questions. You couldn't have thought that you were the first to ask this, and it's against the rules to post without searching.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which Mac OS X version do you use?

Or do you use Windows, which would explain the virus, as there are currently no circulating public viruses for Mac OS X.

You might have another problem, but we need to have more information. So give as much as you can provide?

Or it may be that you just receive SPAM.

VIRUS INFO by GGJstudios

And maybe have a look here: How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience, created by mad jew in 2006

Even though some might get annoyed of reading this, the thread title guy strikes again:

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at http://mroogle.*************/MRoogleSmall.gif, since that question may have been asked several times?

6. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

no i don't have windows installed on my mac . i have the latest version OS
    and yes i was just checking msn mail on my mac .
    virus or horse , i need a fix . yes i can search for days for a solution , but figuring if someone else came across this problem they can help .
    not everyone can spend hours on a comp .
    whats the point to be on a forum if you can't ask a question for help .
    if it's against the rules to post before spend hours trying to find an answer
    then BOOT ME from this site .

7. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Since it looks like you haven't read what we posted, we're telling you that this problem has nothing to do with OS X or your computer at all and everything to do with your MSN security being compromised.

The rule we have on this site about searching does not require hours of search. Indeed, even your question can be found with less than a minute of searching MRoogle. You're jumping to conclusions and judging us too harshly, I think.

8. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Can you show me this rule?
    I've missed it too I guess.

9. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Sure thing. I apologize for any harshness, OP, but we gave you valid information and you were to have read the forum rules before joining/posting. MRoogle is just too awesome a tool to overlook, especially with 10,000,000 posts through which to wade.

10. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

You don't have a virus, worst case, someone has got your msn password, so the first thing you should do is change that. You should be able to check that by looking in your outgoing/sent mail folder. If those messages arent in there most likely all that has happened is someone is using your reply-to address in spam, nothing you can do about that except set up a rule to junk those undeliverable replies.

11. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

firstly i knew nothing of this MROOGLE . everyone is so quick to point out forum rules instead of helping . i think most people posting to check the search feature are just bringing up post counts , maybe to make to make themselves feel important . anyway i guess i'm on my own
    thanks all

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

A. "everyone is so quick to point out forum rules instead of helping".. NOT TRUE
    B. "anyway i guess i'm on my own thanks all"--Your question has been answered by THREE people.

It's not our fault YOU don't want to accept the answer.

13. celticpride678

There are absolutely NO viruses for Mac OS X, especially email viruses. Your best choice is to contact MSN and see what they can do for you.

Can you accept any answer?

14. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

yes ... thank you all
    and i do accept an answer but i got was it's not a virus . ok it's a trojan horse . but other than contacting microsoft , i was asking what can do .
    i'll check mroogle ......thank you again

15. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think you need to go back and read some of the answers. Some, including myself, think your mail account may have been compromised so the first thing you need to do is change your password.

16. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's not likely a trojan either (unless you entered your user name and password for the email, which you should never do for an email). It's likely a flaw in the MSN service, which means there's nothing you can really do. Your account was either hacked (which a password change would help) or spammers are simply spoofing your email address to look like it is coming from you, which is a very common practice.

There's a smaller chance that this was the result of getting the Oompa-Loompa trojan, aka, OSX/Leap-A trojan, which can propagate via your friend list. The linked page has links for removal if you feel you may be infected by this trojan.

17. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

There is very little that you, the user, can do for something like this. Best thing to do at the moment is to change your password just to be on the safe side, and get in contact with Microsoft and see what they suggest. Worst case scenario is you'll have to get a new email account.

I hope my answer was clearer than the ones given by all the fanbois that were trying to flame you :)

18. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

i'm confused here...

i've understood that while there are no known viruses for mac, it is still
    possible to get infected with one.

how does that happen?

and if there are no known viruses for mac, why do they sell antivirus for mac?

19. Marty Macfly macrumors regular

Since there are no viruses, it can't be possible to get infected with one. Simple!

Antivirus for Mac finds old Mac trojans (that don't work on fully updated systems) and Windows viruses, et. al., which can apparently be transferred through your Mac (never understood how).

20. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

ivan p , angelwatt, bobr1952, thank you for your help .
    i will contact ms . angel thanks for the link .

21. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

The award of the Most Ungrateful Poster goes to...

At least I told you that it wasn't a virus...

22. nick96ss thread starter macrumors member

nick96ss

sorry kernkraft i forgot you .....lol where do i go to get my award :)

23. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

To elaborate on what Marty Macfly said, they also make antiviruses for Mac in case there is suddenly a virus outbreak - just because there aren't viruses at the moment doesn't mean it will always stay that way. So if there's ever a real threat, people can update the antivirus right away and make sure they aren't infected. A case of being safe rather than sorry.

24. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Yo man stop being a smart ass, these people are trying to help. I'm sure you've heard it over and over again but there are no Viruses for the mac, unless you have OS 9 but i'm sure you don't. if you're still paranoid and want to scan your comp http://iantivirus.com/ is a mac specific antivirus. download it and scan your comp, its free btw

25. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

In Symantec's case, to make money by selling worthless junk.