Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last Friday launched the Vision Pro, its first new product category in nine years. MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera spent the last several days wearing the Vision Pro and acclimatizing himself to the new operating system, gesture-based control, and feature set.

We asked MacRumors readers what they would most like to know about the Vision Pro, and Dan has a series of answers for those considering a purchase or those who simply want to know more about Apple's new device.

You'll want to watch Dan's video for his full range of answers, but he addresses topics like how much storage space is ideal, how it works when connecting the Vision Pro to a Mac and the Mac's peripherals, what the display quality is like using the headset as a Mac display, comfort and fit over time, the limitations of the passthrough AR view, spatial video, how guest mode works, speaker quality, and more.

Have other questions about the Vision Pro? Let us know in the comments below and we'll address them in a future video.

Article Link: Vision Pro Q&A: What You Need to Know About Apple's Headset

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Is there any app that has fully immersive 3D world? I mean like if you were inside a 3rd person type of common 3d game. Or is that something we have to wait for developers to develop. Apple's immersion involves playing a movie or showing a photo. They have a dinosaur in 3D, but is there any space that rendered 3D yet?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Really useful info here... thanks MacRumors.

The more I see video of AvP the more I really hope this category takes off for apple and they do their magic reducing its size, lowering its cost... and getting to a point where the quality of the mixed reality is such that you cannot tell what's real and what's computer generated. I think that would make long term use of it more viable and natural.

I am mostly interested in the media consumption aspect... the ability to effectively have your own private cinema without the space requirements of a traditional setup is just 95% of the devices attraction to me.

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Is there any app that has fully immersive 3D world? I mean like if you were inside a 3rd person type of common 3d game. Or is that something we have to wait for developers to develop. Apple's immersion involves playing a movie or showing a photo. They have a dinosaur in 3D, but is there any space that rendered 3D yet?
Can you imagine the educational apps they could develop... you could convert various great body encyclopaedias and other books into fully interactive and explorable content.

Imagine exploring the the body... like the movie Inner Space 😆

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
My wife and I have Vision Pros, and I can confirm that YES, SharePlay works great in the same location. Everything is near perfectly in sync, and it's preferable for audio if at least one person is using AirPods Pro with transparency on for talking. When you're FaceTiming, an option appears above your other active windows to share.

Also, you'll obviously want to both mute FaceTime... and something neat I discovered is that you can hilariously place the FaceTime window persona on top of where the other person is sitting in the physical space, and when you're both doing that, it will create a realistic representation of where they're looking in relation to you. You can look directly at each other and toward the screen in front of you.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
If you get the Disney+ app, you will see a 3D version of lots of things.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
I wish they had the display mirroring for an iPhone just like they do on a Mac. That way I could grab my iPhone and bring up an app while watching a movie or something without removing the AVP.

And of course they should have any FaceTime camera on the AVP remove the headset automatically while chatting live with it.

Reverend Billy

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2021
Can someone (i.e. me) who is functionally blind in one eye, and has 20/20 corrected vision in the good eye experience any or all the features offered by Apple Vision Pro? I did a search a few years ago (before Apple Vision Pro was public knowledge) and there were some studies done with other makes/brands of headsets that demonstrated they were able to accommodate people blind in one eye, to a certain extent.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I just want to know why it is not for me.
I think in 3 to 4 years time this device will truly be remarkable and they would likely split it into Pro and Regular offerings, just like with the rest of the device categories. By then I think it will be much better for wearing (more comfortable and less strain on head), and available at a much better price point, for most consumers. I mean it may become so commonplace that it's just like an iPhone... it's just there.. and it becomes a normal.

At that point it will be like what the iPad Air 2 (or even iPad Pro 2018) was compared to the first gen iPad.

In the meantime enjoy the rest of Apples devices, and other tech offerings available from other companies. don't worry about FOMO.... we are all missing out on something or the other 😂

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Love that…..😂
People can record moments, but as they were in VP recording, they were not present and there in the first place.
Woops, the present moment disappeared, but you can watch recordings of the past you never lived.

I am waiting for the AppleRobot to wear the VP and do those things for me while I live my life, thank you.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I wish they had the display mirroring for an iPhone just like they do on a Mac. That way I could grab my iPhone and bring up an app while watching a movie or something without removing the AVP.

And of course they should have any FaceTime camera on the AVP remove the headset automatically while chatting live with it.
There is an app that mirrors iPhone called Bezel (I think..).

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Can someone (i.e. me) who is functionally blind in one eye, and has 20/20 corrected vision in the good eye experience any or all the features offered by Apple Vision Pro? I did a search a few years ago (before Apple Vision Pro was public knowledge) and there were some studies done with other makes/brands of headsets that demonstrated they were able to accommodate people blind in one eye, to a certain extent.
It has accessibility options for one eye. Don’t have any insight on the experience. Just read it somewhere

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
I wish they had the display mirroring for an iPhone just like they do on a Mac.
THIS is an awesome idea! wow. could have saved me hassle of trying to get my appleID password while i was in the store (phone sync timed out)
Create a Feedback for this Enhancement Request!
I can think of a LOT of use cases for that one!

SHHH They did mine (I submitted last year for a way to accommodate for "strabismis or lazy eye". heh, they kept the xact wording). woo hoo! they really do take Feedback into account!

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
i left mine on the desk in stand-by mode overnight. i wonder what is the estimated battery life in stand-by mode.

Pixelspeeper

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2020
I had a demo at my local store, this thing really wow me , it’s the most amazing piece of tech I ever try in my life yet, this is the most exciting thing apple ever released yet, it’s like you have the IPhone, Mac, IPad, AirPod, apple TV and more in one piece of tech, it might not be for the mass public yet, it’s still not perfect, it’s a first generation product, it might feel weird to use in public but if you really into tech, love apple products and don’t mind dumping thousands of dollars on it, trust me you will love it.
Will definitely get one myself, this is truly the feature.

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
please remind folks in your videos about safe handling. with a link to a clip on how to pick it up -- UNDER THE FRONT OF THE FACE MASK with thumb or two or more fingers, other hand on the strap.

[edit, here's the official word
1707259375711.png

]

as part of my intro (and sales pitch for AppleCare+), my guy said that already (day2) they had someone who dropped it on their kitchen counter.
i can see EASILY how this happens, by grabbing the AVP by the light guard or the face mask with both hands. BOTH will come off quite easily, and the AVP will smash down on the counter!!!

Last edited:

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
hmmm. realizing i have lots of questions and my own tips...

How easy is it to interact with Mail ?
demonstrate how simple it is to interact with email. (swipe leeeeeft with a longer stroke is quickest i could find to delete mails)

How about entering text?
entering text is so easy by dictation (show it), but also easy to get wrong.
show how relatively simple it is to select and edit text, and to use the flyover keyboard or the backspace-erase-character icon.

How do you dictate text? are there any power tips?
show how some apps' dictation icon can be activated just by looking at it

what has been your experience of battery life?
i've found i cannot stay in headset for more than two hours at a time anyway, and if i go that long (like i did yesterday), i can't use it again for some hours after that.

have you ordered any after market accessories yet?
I ordered the DamonLight rubber mask cover for the facemask on Akazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRYDG8WP
took quite a while to get it aligned and on top of the facemask, sure, the feeling is not nearly as luxurious as the fabric of the OOTB facemask, but am glad it's going to be wipeable and cleanable. also the tips keep popping off the mask. it's a pretty tight fit (which is what you want)

what is your experience with the audio part of the immersion experience? (do you have AirPods 2 Pro USB-C version?) What was your experience of audio while watching a Disney+ movie or Apple-enhanced movie?
I have the Lightning-cable version of AirPods2Pro and the performance is decidedly lacking for me in comparison with being in a cinema. The video is WAAAY better for me than the cinema, and in fact it was so good i had to pause from being overwhelmed, like what happens when you sit in the front row at the cinema.
I wish that Apple had made these compatible with AirPods Pro Max. It does seem that the platform is largely being excluded. Some situations just have too much background noise.

how are you transporting it so far? do you have and are you using the official space marshmallow case?
i am carefully wrapping it in a towel and the battery separately. i'll probably regret it, but so far all the Akazon cases are being re-titled from their sale as Quest cases.

Hmmm maybe I should make my own video.

dbwie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2007
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Does anyone know, in Vision Pro, can you look at a Mac Mini or a Mac Studio that is turned on, with no display attached, and pop up the large virtual display, or does it need to see an actual display attached for that feature to work?

Reactions: arkitect and Morod

miiwtoo

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2018
i just wanna know when will be available with a real price, hello samsung if it doesnt 🤣

Reactions: AeroEd

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Yes, there is a setting for people who only see through one eye. 👍🏻

Reactions: maternidad

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
what is your experience with the audio part of the immersion experience? (do you have AirPods 2 Pro USB-C version?) What was your experience of audio while watching a Disney+ movie or Apple-enhanced movie?
I have the Lightning-cable version of AirPods2Pro and the performance is decidedly lacking for me in comparison with being in a cinema. The video is WAAAY better for me than the cinema, and in fact it was so good i had to pause from being overwhelmed, like what happens when you sit in the front row at the cinema.
I wish that Apple had made these compatible with AirPods Pro Max. It does seem that the platform is largely being excluded. Some situations just have too much background noise.
I have the AirPods Pro w/usbc charging. You have to setup your headphones for Spatial Audio. This is the page from Apple that tells you how to do it:

Reactions: maternidad

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Really useful info here... thanks MacRumors.

The more I see video of AvP the more I really hope this category takes off for apple and they do their magic reducing its size, lowering its cost... and getting to a point where the quality of the mixed reality is such that you cannot tell what's real and what's computer generated. I think that would make long term use of it more viable and natural.

I am mostly interested in the media consumption aspect... the ability to effectively have your own private cinema without the space requirements of a traditional setup is just 95% of the devices attraction to me.
I've heard that it is a great place to go through your photos, too. The images are large and beautiful. I guess even static 2D images can benefit from those displays.

Reactions: Fuzzball84

mickobizzle

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2023
I have the AirPods Pro w/usbc charging. You have to setup your headphones for Spatial Audio. This is the page from Apple that tells you how to do it:
the AirPods Pro 2 with lightning charging also has Spatial Audio.
The USBC version is said to have "Immersive Lossless Audio". ugg i am not looking forward to having to buy another set of airpods (these would be my 17th pair since 1.0), but i still have a year of AppleCare+ on mine.

My question is if the USBC version does this Immersive Lossless Audio so well, that it's imperative to get them for AVP.

[edit: changed Immersive to Lossless]

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.