Vista 64bit working great on ALU macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cozmo85, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

If you want to use it when you first put your Leopard disc in it will say that this version of windows is not supported. Just cancel out and browse the disc. Go to the Apple folder and there is a Bootcamp64.msi file. Run that and all the drivers will install and work great.

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Cool just aquiring a copy ATM ill install later :D

3. mklnz macrumors regular

Hmm it didn't work for me, It showed an error and told me to use setup.exe instead. Of course running setup.exe tells you 64-bit isn't supported.

4. subq macrumors member

5. Cozmo85 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? using your macbook restore leopard disc?

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I would agree as well Ultimate Vista x64 does not agree with the setup.exe in the leopard install disc that came with the macbook

7. Cozmo85 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, the part i used on the disc was CD://Boot camp/Drivers/Apple/Bootcamp64

it went right through the install

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I saw those drivers but does it install the system tray app that lets you adjust mac settings?

9. Cozmo85 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, everything works 100%, display brightness, keyboard brightness, audio, etc..

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Running Vista Home Premium x64. Runs smooth and great here...

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat older thread, but how have you guys managed to get it working? I posted a question about it in the Windows on the Mac subforum, but nobody answered. I tried doing what you suggested here, but it wouldn't work. I can't open the BootCamp64.msi file, though, as Vista tells me this: "This installation requires elevated privileges. Launch the installer through setup.exe." I understood I could get around this message by running the installer as an admin. That won't work, though; I just can't seem to find how to do that.

I tried just randomly installing the drivers on the Leopard disc, but that doesn't seem to be the way, either. Can you guys help me, please? This is the first time I actually bought Windows, but I feel I have made a mistake by getting the 64-bit version of Vista. Have I?

12. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

13. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Thanks, DennyBres, that did the trick! Awesome. Don't flame me, but I can't understand what all the fuss is about, concerning Vista. It works really well, I think. Or is it just the bad name Vista got from just after the launch, with all the problems from back then? Seriously, I think Vista is okay. It definitely looks better than XP, and seems a pretty solid OS, although I've used it only for a bit.

14. mcguidance macrumors member

I managed to get the trackpad to work on tap - but how do you get your audio drivers to work? I have no audio...

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry my bad. I didn't mention I am running Vista Home Premium x64 under VMware Fusion.

16. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Check what audio hardware is inside your Mac. Download the 64-bit Windows drivers for the chip and install them. Should work. If it's one of the new MacBooks or MacBook Pros, you should use the Realtek 64-bit drivers on the Leopard install disc. They work like a charm for me. (I run Windows natively in Boot Camp, not virtualized).