Vista copies Mac OSX yet again ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ivan123, May 13, 2008.

1. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie8/welcome/en/default.html

sounds suprisingly like the "Open in Dashboard..." feature

2. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Yeah, that's the way it is. The little guy pioneers, then the rest follow. It's kind of like complaining that car company A copied car company B by installing seat belts. Good ideas get slowly adopted by big companies. Good for vista users. They add a few more features like this, and fix a few hundred bugs... they'll catch up with Panther or Tiger. :D

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It's also a good thing that Apple invents this stuff first so they can have their first dibs on a name for it. "WebSlices" doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily as "WebClips".

4. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

hah hah... I hadn't thought about it, but yeah. If they copy spaces maybe they'll call it "areas." Time machine will become "temporal device." iChat = "meTalk." Dictionary = "words book." Dashboard = "rumble-seat?" Who knows what else will be included in Windows Attempt 7?

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I see Microsoft marketing employees reading this thread and saying "Darn, now if we use those names we'll look like idiots".

6. mikelcroft macrumors regular

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I agree but sometimes being the innovator or the first to bring something to the masses is a blessing and a curse.
    Apple was the first to bring wireless to laptops and now the PC industry is all over it. Even noobies on this forum sometimes ask if it's possible for Apple notebooks to connect to wireless networks. Blows me away how Apple pioneered it but the PC industry takes the credit.

8. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I'd like some more information on apple bringing wireless to laptops. I've been trying to make a list of things that apple "mainstreamed" or "standardized," and I'd like something to back that point up if it's true.

So far I've got:

1. Bluetooth
    2. Webcams
    3. Multi-touch
    4. mp3 players

9. ivan123 thread starter macrumors member

ivan123

5. The Mouse
    6. The Personal Computer
    7. GUI

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

you can thank Xerox/Parc for the GUI I believe.

11. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

List of stuff Apple invented too, or just stuff they put to good use? TBH, webcams were around and used well before they started building them in.

Also, they created the basic template of the notebook computer (keyboard with palmrests below and pointing device centered below), and also invented FireWire.

12. Angsty macrumors member

Angsty

8. No floppy drive
    9. USB ports only, no serial/parallel ports.

;)

13. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

15. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Umm, if you read TH-Gunner's post again, you'll notice that the question wasn't what Apple invented. Rather, the question was what did Apple bring to the masses.

Apple did, in fact bring the GUI to the masses, not Xerox/Parc.

Edit:

A few more things for the list (remember, we're talking about things Apple brought to the masses, not necessarily invented):
    12. Laser Printers (although it wasn't until HP came on board that the prices became low enough for the average consumer to be able to afford them)
    13. Early wired networking (Local-Talk)
    14. CD-ROM as standard
    15. Multi-tasking (multi-Finder was amazing, when compared to DOS)

16. ivan123 thread starter macrumors member

ivan123

-

17. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

Everyone is copying things from each other. Grow up. You don't think Safari invented tabbed browsing and pop-up blockers, do you?

--Erwin

18. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I think the OP is pointing out that "webslices" is a particularly brazen borrow from "webclips." It's a less generic feature than "tabs."

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

then again, apple completely pinched dashboard where webclips resides from konfabulator in the first place...

20. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

At least it's not as queasy a term as Zune's 'Squirting' feature.

21. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

less generic is still generic.

Its not like OSX never copy anything from other people. for instance....

about more or less half of the codes of fundamental structure of OSX?
    Safari itself is a fork of KHTML after all. granted a bigger one, but innovation doesn't have to be big, does it?
    Leopard asks users for permission when first run an app downloaded from internet, vista asks user for permission at installation.
    time machine has some shadows of windows' shadow copy.
    double clicking empty space in safari can create a new tab.
    iwork now has a spreadsheet app im sure innovated by somebody else.
    oh yeah, space, you sure space is a new idea with respect to compiz-fusion's desktop wall (Im not sure, but probably close, which is why ppl can do things of same idea without being bashed as copy)?
    This world need more cooperation, not bashing everywhere, the narrow-minded culture established by SJ is unbelievable.

copy, copy, copy, apple fanboys should get some sense of real world and get facts straight. Its getting tiresome. Its not they are not living in a real world. Rather in SJ's wonderland.

22. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Apple 'copied' this from Unix/Linux where they are "virtual desktops" which I prefer to Spaces...

When Apple made a big thing of Spaces my Linux using co-workers gave me grief for "Apple copying Linux" in much the same way the OP is talking about "Vista copying OS X!".

As many people above had said I think "copied" is wrong, as with all things it's more "see a new feature you like and implement your take on it", i.e. MS might have "WebSplices" but will the final implementation be as good as "Webclips"? Based on their implementation of Dashboard I doubt it!

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I thought one of the old Apple OS's had a dashboard feature too, or maybe it was Next? I don't know much about them tbh.

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're right - Dashboard came from the old Desk Accessories back in the pre-System 7 days. Desk Accessories were miniature applications (much like Dashboard widgets) that you could summon at any time, do some work in them, then send them away again.

25. Coprolite macrumors member

More fun: What Xerox/PARC pioneered but didn't capitalize on

-The Mouse
    -Windows
    -Laser Printer
    -etc....

Heck I was using a 3 button mouse as a little kid, long before the Mac came out. I would have to ask my parents for an exhaustive list as I only got to play on the Xerox machines that they brought home for "work".