Vista > Leopard

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cromulent, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just look at the security features it implements.

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

3. ezkimo macrumors regular

How did Bill end up on the set of Twin Peaks?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Reason # 432 why I upgraded my work laptop from Vista back to XP.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a good thing Vista has full keyboard access. Cuz how are you supposed to click allow? :D

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That was an image I did not want in my head

Nah, there's probably a "Windows is trying to use a keyboard, cancel or allow" dialog waiting right behind it :D

7. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

UAC prompts me in the same way as Tiger when I'm running in User mode. And unlike XP (this was a major problem I had with it), a properly executed OS like Vista or OSX doesn't require me to run in admin mode. I don't really get the problems moaned about by the blogging morons.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Ahh, yet another one of Vista's great accomplishments. :rolleyes:

10. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

As fun as it is to laugh at the competition, I have no problems with Vista what so ever on my HP workstation at work. Once you tweak all your settings to your specifications, it runs fine just like any other modern operating system. In fact, because Leopard is still a few updates away from running well, I'd dare say Vista actually has an edge on Leopard at present.

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Yes it does prompt you the same way, just a lot more than OSX does. I've never been asked for higher privileges when i delete a file from an external drive in OSX, and definately not every time i try to delete a file!

UAC is good in theory, it just comes up too often with no way to disable it in some instances. So it's either all on or all off. All on is too annoying so I had to turn it all off.

Another example, I don't want to click a damn UAC box for just looking at my network settings. I kind of understand having it if you CHANGE something but then again I don't want it to ask me if I change it.

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Client handed me a Vista laptop to use onsite this week (easier than the nonsense their IT Dept demands to bring an "alien" computer onto their net).

After two days with it? Just shoot me. Please.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

You know what, you're right. It's just like how I bought that used car. Sure, I needed to tweak it with a new engine, detailing, rims, a paint job and a new interior, but after that it was fine. Just like a new car.

14. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I may not have the most demanding tasks for my office workstation computer (HP C2D + 2GB Ram + 20" LCD). I use MS Office 07, the Adobe Acrobat Pro, video conferencing software, encrypted IM software, and other misc. software for a paperless office. On any give day, I have about 25 different applications open and working in conjunction. It works just as fine as any Mac for the same tasks, I don't feel particularly burdened, annoyed, or handicapped by my pc than my mac. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and perform similarly on baseline tasks (video conferencing, pdf creation, office 2007, web browsing).

For most office environments with similar needs to mine company's, I see no reason why Leopard would be than Vista. In fact if anything, HP + Vista would be better cause of a better price/ power ratio.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Well, the editor of PC magazine would disagree with you greatly. He resigned in part over his frustrations with the litany of outstanding problems with Vista nine months after release. Slow adoption, Microsoft's decision to allow OEMs to sell XP for another six months, continued application compatability issues, the list of problems goes on. Vista may have an 'edge' on Leopard at the moment, as you say, but it's also got almost a year on it's release. It should have a lot more of an edge than it does.

But, nonetheless, the point I was making wasn't about the reliability of the OS, but the point you yourself made. Your PC ran fine, after all the tweaking you did. The point was the amount of work you have to put in -- or system administrators have to put in -- under the hood, just to get things running reasonably. Which is a big contributing factor as to why Vista hasn't taken off. Vista doesn't really offer any significant productivity value over XP, and you lose substantial productivity in the difficult adoption phase.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Something is not right there - I've never been asked for elevated privileges when I've been deleting files I should be, if you see what I mean.

I'm not really a tweaker. If it doesn't work out of the box after an initial proper setting up, I don't use it. Which is why I haven't got a machine that's been upgraded to Vista, and I won't have a machine that's been upgraded to Leopard.

With Vista, like Ubuntu (and like Leopard from now), I sat on the OS on a dedicated machine for a while before deciding what to do. Undoubtedly the driver problems with Vista were a major problem, and that's why I didn't move to Vista on most of the systems I use until the latter half of this year. I didn't understand from the changes in the networking and display architecture why so many manufacturers dragged their feet over releasing stable drivers (or support at all). But that's largely gone now and I notice that in general, driver writers are doing much more in the way of the usual bugfixes than "look, this bit actually works now".

17. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

"McCracken, reached Wednesday evening, confirmed that he resigned after 12 years at the magazine and 16 years at publisher International Data Group, over disagreements with management. He declined to comment on the nature of those disagreements.

But three sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told CNET News.com that McCracken informed staffers in an afternoon meeting Wednesday that he decided to resign because Colin Crawford, senior vice president, online, at IDG Communications, was pressuring him to avoid stories that were critical of major advertisers.

Wired News reported Wednesday evening that McCracken quit after Crawford killed a draft story titled "Ten Things We Hate About Apple."
    -CNET.com

Change your wallpaper, change the windows theme, adjust your dock size, change your screen saver, adjust your lcd brightness. That's most of what I did by the ways of tweaking. It the same for vista as it is for leopard.

18. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

This one in OSX still bugs the hell out of me - I mean I put in the trash, and then I still have to delete it, and then it asks me if I'm sure about it. Wow.
    That's one step worse than my wife reminding me to take out the trash.
    You'd think with TM that would be really redundant because if you delete by accident you've got an hourly back-up of the file.

Attached Files:

19. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

It's a never ending cycle!

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Finder>Preferences>Advanced>Uncheck: "Show warning before emptying Trash"

21. idyll macrumors 6502

killerrobot:

you know, that doesn't bug me at all. what does bug me is the fact that i can't just delete a single item or some of the items in the trash, while keeping the others.

22. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Hmm... guess I should've just known that one. :eek:

Also, been getting this all the time now in Leopard for everything I install off the net - don´t remember it ever doing this in Tiger.

Attached Files:

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its a new feature.

24. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

They did they steal it from Vista??? :eek: