Vista on Lion without using Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by seniorgeek, Jul 29, 2011.

1. seniorgeek macrumors member

It seems that Lion/Bootcamp will not allow any Windows version to be installed unless it's Windows 7, I am wondering if it is possible with Parallel or Vm Fusion? Anyone have any input on this?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Parallels will run it just fine. For most applications, they'll appear to run essentially full speed.

For heavy gaming or the equivalent, you might need to boot natively (Bootcamp).

3. seniorgeek thread starter macrumors member

I don't think you understood my question. Windows Vista will not install on Lion using Bootcamp, i am wondering if it can be installed with Parallels or Fusion. Lion does not support Windows Vista at least with using Bootcamp.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. It can be installed as a virtual machine using Parallels.

5. JaeMidi macrumors newbie

Vista/Lion/Boot Camp worked for me

6. pg255 macrumors newbie

I'm just running into same problem. Hard drive started making noises so decided to replace with larger drive. Had to go via 10.6 to get lion back on. Now all fine, but next step is to get windows on and just have vista. Don't want to have to start all over again.

If you've got a moment, would you mind saying what exact steps did you take to get it to work ?