Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
So with my mac mini could i get both Mac OS and vista on that?
And how good is the video and Sound Card?

yes, with new leopard, you can use bootcamp to install windows. But as you can see, there are some problems with leopard in its current incarnation, of course, you may, or may not see them on your machine.

mini's graphic card is integrated, entry level, last generation intel GMA950. i.e., don't expect to play any latest 3D game with decent performance.

Sound card, dunno, never pay attention to it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Dont get vista

If your going to dual boot do not use vista. Use xp. Ill say up front I do not own a mac (although I will soon) but I do own a vista machine and work on vista and XP machines all day long. XP is fine, it doesnt crash often, its pretty fast, its very compatible, but do not get vista unless you like:

-An OS thats most likely gonna be replaced extremely soon.

-An OS that when you drag something to the recycle bin sometimes its almost instant, most of the time it can take around a minuet to delete a small file.

-An OS that crashes/freezes/shows you its loading cursor a good 95% of the time.

-And, just for reference, compatibility mode does not work. Ever. Period.

I dont want to suond like a windows basher because I do like XP and when I get my mac thats what I will be dual booting to. Use vista at your own risk.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The biggest advantage of the OP using Mac OS X is because he's got all Apple products (except for the DULL). Apple's products will always be more compatible with their own OS and support will be top notch. The Windows versions of Apple's software AIN'T as good as the Mac versions for the obvious reasons. So like iTunes and Quicktime are better on the Mac of course and you will find connecting the Apple products to Mac OS X much easier.

besideofthecar

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
TN
Get A Mac

I had an HP 3.0 g pentium D with 4 gig ram running Premier Pro. It Crashed or locked up and had to be restarted all the time!! Plus I had to buy antivirus!!
So I bought a Mac Mini 1.5 g Power PC 4 Processor, with 512 Mb of RAM, and got Final Cut Express for video editing!! It will run all week along with running Safari and Itunes at the same time!!!!!!!!!! My eyes get sore because I don't have to stop and restart and all that BULL!!!! That was in 2005 December, now I have 3 iMacs,3 Mac Mini's,an ibook,a Power Mac G5 and a Mac Pro 2008!!

All of them are working just fine!!!!!!! Just try a mac, just remember its only a machine,if men made it,it is not perfect!!! ........Well may be it IS!!!

PS I had one kernel panic with the Power Mac G5, I just called support and it was resolved in 5 minutes with little wait time!!!

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
Well vista vs mac os x leopard.

Both are buggy, my macbook pro have serious issues with dropping
wifi signals extremely annoying.

I HAVE TO USE BOTH but i personally think that it all falls to personal preference. I for one never had any problems with windows EVER.
both function the same way both do the samething you want them to do.
i have used vista for photo, web design, video editing etc.
Samething on a mac and guess what the outcome was? SAMETHING

i think the aero look is way ahead of leopards uni gui. But overall os x is way more attractive with the eye candy. And like you mentioned apple is a trendy company so if you can afford every single release they offer then go for it.

I for one think both are awesome respectively . With the advantage of gaming on windows. Mac is more work then play type of deal of course theres games but nothing compared to windows.

I know professionals who use any one of them as long as they can get what they want accomplished. If you know what your doing you dont need a cute gui to help you out your a software creator you know this already.

lawson

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
I recently switched to a mac as my main computer, after much persuasion from my friend who worked at an apple store. Still suffering slight buyer's remorse but I'm getting over it!

The only reason to switch, in my opinion, is to try something new. It's fun to learn a new way of doing things, if you have the time and patience. They still crash and get messed up in various ways though!

One of the first things I did when I got my mac was to convert all my music to mp3 using itunes on my old windows pc - it promptly had a kernel panic half way through (1st one in about 6 months). Feeling rather smug at my new purchase, I moved over to the mac to install a few programs while the windows pc restarted, only to find that my shiny new imac had locked up too!

My pc hasn't crashed since, but my imac has required many restarts. Most of these seem related to sleep mode - after waking the dock can become black with lots of glitches, network shares won't reconnect (or unmount) without a restart, programs won't work properly (dreamweaver). I've stopped putting the mac to sleep and all these problems seem to have gone.

There are lots of things the mac does better though: the interface is more responsive, there's no staring at empty space when you open a finder window (unlike explorer in windows), drag and drop is much more intuitive. Most noticeable though, it is that there are no longer those brief, irritating freezes where the pc doesn't seem to be doing anything - it's hard to describe but using a mac is a more seamless experience.

Don't believe all the hype about iLife making the mac worth the extra price though, vista comes with alternatives to all the programs apart from iWeb & Garageband. As with a windows pc, you'll need to buy extra programs to do actual work with media - and these programs are mostly the same whether you have a mac or pc.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Funny, Vista is the reason I bought a MacBook. I hate Vista and I've been using PCs since the early 90s for everything from design, development, gaming, etc. Vista was simply the last straw for me, poor products just keep coming from MS.

I love my MacBook so far :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.