Vista Vs. Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ph4ist, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ph4ist macrumors newbie

I have New new Dell Inspiron with Vista on it and have to say i am happy with it. It functions well for me and what i need to do.
    But i have an iPhone, iPod Classic, and Apple TV. I have been thinking latley of switching latley to a Mac. Since i have all of these Apple Products. And Apple is on top of the game when it comes to the newest and best inovations. I don't know the advantages of Mac over Windows. Pretty much try to persuade me to buy a new Mac.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

get a mini somewhere for $500, and try for yourself.:) its not possible to make judgement for each individuals.

PS. you are asking vista vs. OSX, since you can run vista on Mac.

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Easy! Just go to this website and ABSORB.
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/

4. smogsy macrumors 6502a

well i've halved switched to mac my self, i have vista pc ( i built) with Qaudcore 4gb ram etc but my mac book is actually faster lol....

my vista likes to weird stuff like index my files every time i load up vista.. and the mac seems to be more fun to use i only switched to learn Xcode and how to develop good Apps for OSX users...

i'm finding it so good im just about to sell my vista pc (which i built for £2000 for a mac pro! very soon, ive also gave up gaming for mac. (which i used to play 12 hours a day)

Good things about macs:
    More Fun
    Easier to use once you comfortable.
    better community
    nice looks of computers
    Good OS
    Often Updates/upgrades that don't break your pc!

bad things:
    not very good at gaming atm (natively)

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm running Mac OS X Leopard and Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my Mac Pro and love it. Why stick to just Windows when you can have the best of both worlds?

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

osx does that too, just doesn't tell you.

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Well you seem to have a lot of gadgets so one plus to using OS X is the vast majority are plug and play. No drivers to hunt down or install discs to dig out of your closet, you just connect it and get to work. This is true for both Apple products and non-Apple products. For instance, I have a Motorola Slvr and can transfer files between it and my mac wirelessly with Bluetooth. If I was on my HP laptop I would have to find the USB cable (because it doesn't have Bluetooth) then find the installation disc for the Motorola Phone Tools software, wait for it to install, set it up, and much time would have been lost when I could have already been finished and out the door.

Another plus is the way you install new programs in Mac OS X. You download it from the internet, mount the disc image, and then just drag the program icon into the Applications folder of OS X and it's installed. This way you can have multiple versions of a program installed on your Mac at the same time. However some programs like Office 2008 for Mac go through the old fashioned Windows-like installation process, but what do you expect from a Microsoft product? Although I do have Office 2004 and 2008 both installed on my Mac and either work no problem.

If you like all your current Apple products I don't see why you wouldn't like a Mac as well. Just remember, Mac OS X is not Vista. Even though they share many things in common, you do some tasks differently (like installing an new application), many of which are more simple on OS X.

8. FelixMC macrumors member

Well, not sure if it helps, but here's an persuasive essay I once had to write for English. I'm not saying everything on there is 100% true, but it sure convinced my english teacher to get a Mac.:):D

Attached Files:

9. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What grade did you get for that paper out of interest?

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

tell me what your english teacher likes it so far. :)

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Right now Mac is really pissing me off it's not the big problems it's those little stupid ones leopard has and they are the most annoying thing ever Like it just drops you network out of nowhere and it has these stupid little quirks like things just don't work the way they should yeah it can be great sometimes but right now I'm Hating it more than I hated Windows with it's problems Leopard is CRAP!! apple takes way too long on updates and this piece of crap macbook can't run tiger because apple thinks that everything they make is so perfect and every one loves it well I don't and I'm quite sick of all these little issues that I'm having.

I'm almost to the point where I want to ditch mac and get a dell It's really annoying I wouldn't be as pissed if it could run tiger at least Dell or whoever allows you to XP on instead of vista. Whoa! I Hate this thing I wish they would just fix these problems instead of making their stupid products like the Macbook air What about all the people who have spent their money. and want it to work.

Just wait till leopard gets fixed and stick with your dell!!

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The irony is that the document is in Microsoft Word format. Pages or nothing :).

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I would take your MacBook into an Apple store as soon as possible! Your keyboard is infected causing all sorts of unintelligible drivel to leak out onto the screen. There is obviously a serious problem with your "." key, too! It's not working at all! Get it in now before something goes seriously wrong!

14. munnstermac macrumors newbie

What about buying one and doing a sly test drive as such. You have 14 days to get a full refund so why not just give a macbook or something similar a whizz. Its only you that can make that choice but you wont look back if you make the plunge, forget those who have the bad luck and test it for yourself.

15. FelixMC macrumors member

I think I got a 93?
    I know I got 5 points off for turning it in almost a week late, and then I got like two points off for incorrect usage of something something and some other minor stuff.. :D
    She got a MBP, I think, and she said she likes it a lot, though it took her a while to get used to it. She occasionally asks me how to do this and that..:p
    Microsoft Word is about the only thing I use with Microsoft in it's name.. Other than that, I'd choose Apple products over anything MS makes..:p

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Mac Advantage: Can run Windows AND OSX / Stable Hardware Platoform / Stable OS

Windows Advantage: ( Sorry none available )

17. ph4ist thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thank you very much for all the responses!

I was thinking of buying a Mac Mini.
    Because i have an External DVD/CDR burner for my PC. And a 500gb Western Digital Hardrive as well. Which to me sounds like it would work.
    Also with my new dell i purchased a 22' dell moniter which is awesome quality and would like to keep it. Would that work on a mac mini?

18. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

While doing my PhD I did some teaching ... turning in a report late was an automatic fail.

19. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Sounds like you are all ready to make the switch!!

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

should be fine, Mini's GMA950 should supports up to 1920x1080 res, which should be enough for most computer monitors.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup it will support that display.

Mini has DVI video output to support digital resolutions up to 1920 by 1200 pixels (that translates to up to 24" displays).

22. smogsy macrumors 6502a

yeh but difference is i can work on my leopard whilst its doing it more often than not vista crashes when it it indexes and runs IE only on my pc... its gay

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, its not gay, mac is more gayish.

anyway, I don't think vista's indexing should be that cpu heavy, you might want to check your system.

24. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's B.S. and you know it.

25. ph4ist thread starter macrumors newbie

So with my mac mini could i get both Mac OS and vista on that?
    And how good is the video and Sound Card?