Visual Design Student Reimagines Apple Music With Unified Artwork, Better Discovery, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When Apple Music launched in 2015, one of the biggest complaints from users and critics centered on the somewhat confusing user interface of Apple's first foray into music streaming. Although the app was redesigned last year in iOS 10, concerns were then raised around the oversized nature of Apple Music's new typography and artwork.

This week visual design student Jason Yuan, who studies at Northwestern University, has shared a new project that he's been working on the past few months, which was sparked when Apple rejected him for a graphic design internship at Apple Music. Yuan decided to take Apple's rejection, which referenced wanting to see "more growth and training," and turn it into a new passion project focused on a visual overhaul of Apple Music (via The Next Web).

[​IMG]

He said his redesign provides a few "potential solutions" to the service's problems.
    One of Yuan's first ideas is called "The Sampler," which he pitches as a replacement to "My New Music Mix." The Sampler would be for users "reluctant to sit through an entire playlist full of new music," and would present Apple Music subscribers with samples of songs in a Tinder-like UI that they could swipe up to reject or swipe down to add to their library. These samples would last around 15 seconds and present highlights from the songs in question so users would immediately know if they like the music or not.

[​IMG]

Any music that is swiped down upon is then saved to Yuan's equivalent of the My New Music Mix, taking out the automatic curation of content currently in place and making it more personalized in Yuan's design. Yuan said that The Sampler was inspired by the idea of gamification, which he argued would allow the user to create "an immediate connection to the music they discover," instead of just taking a shot at what Apple Music serves up to them now.

The visual designer also came up with more cohesive branding in Apple Music's album and playlist artwork, which he argued is currently "kind of all over the place," with a mix of collages, 3D typography, and more for various radio stations and activity playlists. To fix this, Yuan focused on the circular bubble art that Apple Music subscribers encounter when signing up for the service -- which also references the iPod click wheel and iPhone contacts -- while subtly altering colors and profile shots for the artist and playlist in question.

[​IMG]

Yuan went on to address the basic UI complaints currently leveled at Apple Music, reducing the font size and white space of the app's launch tab while also introducing a new "Watch" tab for the service's upcoming slate of TV shows. He eliminated what he argued as extraneous UI additions, like the "Downloaded Music" front page menu option, and personalized For You so it introduces music based on location, time, and even recent social media activity.

[​IMG]
    The current Apple Music (left) compared with Yuan's redesign (right)

Connect is gone for good in Yuan's design as well.
    There are plenty of other highlights from Yuan's list of redesign ideas, including tweaks to Now Playing, Browse, Search, and how users love or dislike a song. Yuan ended his article saying he's happy with the knowledge he gained and progress he made redesigning Apple Music as a personal project, but never intended the tweaks to be taken seriously by Apple.

"I don't expect the good folks at Apple Music to take anything from this case study," Yuan mentioned. "In fact, I might actually have a heart attack if anyone working on Apple Music stumbles upon this article... but if you're out there, I hope my work was able to give you some ideas and spark some conversations!"

Check out the rest of Yuan's Apple Music changes in his Medium post right here.

Article Link: Visual Design Student Reimagines Apple Music With Unified Artwork, Better Discovery, and More

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

Apple need to hire this guy. Why they passed him up is beyond me. It's not a perfect re-design but better than the convoluted mess we have.

3. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

iTunes in general has been a mess for a long time.

4. ocanalix macrumors member

ocanalix

This is exactly what is needed. Currently it's a dysfunctional mess.

5. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

While I am all for good ideas, how is this news? Are we going to start covering everyone who re-imagines Apple's products and / or UI?

6. bLackjackj macrumors member

7. andy.ringwood, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

andy.ringwood Suspended

He's literally changed the font size and changed the artwork. Nothing special. I'm sure Apple will change some UI elements in iOS 11 anyway.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Next news: student designs an iPhone without the camera bulge that looks way better than iPhone 7.

By the way I don't like Music.app, this is a good design. I hope they'll overhaul Music in iOS 11

9. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

How is this any different apart from reducing the fonts but keeping the spacing of the list size the same? No offense but he did nothing groundbreaking.

10. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

Smaller less legible fonts on a white background. No thanks.

11. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I remember some sites covering some guy who "re-imagined" notifications before iOS 5 and Apple ended up hiring him. This may land someone a job with enough noise so might be good, but I understand your point.

12. Happytodd macrumors regular

I use Apple Music on a daily basis and I often find I click on the wrong tabs and get confused on where to go to bring up my Playlists etc. Apple should've kept it simple, the way it was back around iOS4, but add an extra tab for Apple Music and keep it separate to my locally stored music! :(

13. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Isn't this what an internship is for?

Yet another symptom of the generally broken jobs market of the 21st century.

14. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Reading some of the comments makes me think a few people just looked at the image and started typing instead of reading the actual article. The kid made some decent changes that make sense. To focus on reduced font sizes sort of devalues the effort and time put in and ignores the difficulty in getting UI/UX right.

15. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Apple music is a mess, but I'd get the functionality right before messing with the UI.

16. nfl46 macrumors 604

Pretty good read.

I'm looking forward to Apple Music 3.0 on June 5th.

17. weave macrumors regular

weave

As with any great idea, there's usually some technicality or legal issue that mucks it all up. Like with the sampler, sounds great but I bet the licensing would require each 15 second preview to be paid as a full listen so if someone is swiping away like mad it could rack up a lot of micro payments multiplied over millions of people.

18. Cronowerx Suspended

What kind of paint thinner was this student sniffing before he thought that his changes were better?

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Good grief can rumor sites please stop posting concepts from random visual designers? Whatever one thinks of Apple Music how is this better in any way?

20. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

21. macintologist macrumors 6502

Just because he has good ideas doesn't mean he would make a good employee.

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Exactly. This does not deserve to be front page news anywhere. Maybe a sidebar at best.

23. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Careful now - I suggest you read the full post on his blog. He's done a lot more than that, but the MacRumors article does a poor job of showing it all.

It's much more than a font size change...

24. trainwrecka macrumors 6502

They may have rejected him for 1,000 legitimate reasons, that an overhaul of Apple Music wouldn't overcome. If an overhaul will overcome the reason he was rejected, we'll know soon enough.

I just want Apple Music and Music to become two different apps.

25. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Meh. Take away all those garbage buttons at the bottom and replace them with the ones we used to have, prior to Apple Music. It's still lipstick on a pig.