Visual Voicemail Blows....

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Ok, I have a 16GB iPhone. But only like 200KB of voicemail maxes out Visual Voicemail.

If I have 15GB free on my iPhone why does Voicemail not use all of that? (or at least some of that)

I'd figure that even 2GB of compressed on mp3's could store every voicemail for like the last two years.

Lame.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Because its stored on ATT's server and not your phone?

Try deleting a VM every month or two.
Wrong. They're stored on the phone.

FYI, OP, you can copy your VVM's to your computer using a method I describe in one of my posts dealing with iPhone Backup Extractor and SQLite Database Browser. I won't bother finding the exact post, since you can search for it pretty easily, and you may not care to use it. It does work though. If you have any questions about what to do post them after you look through my post and look at the links and the software. The software is all free.

qnc

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
You can also use voicemail forwarder available in cydia cost $, but you can email thhe voicemails to you self and keep then on you computer.

I keep them in my Gmail account so I have them anytime.

Of course your phone needs to be jailbroken but it works to keep VM's that you really need.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
You can also use voicemail forwarder available in cydia cost $, but you can email thhe voicemails to you self and keep then on you computer.

Of course your phone needs to be jailbroken but it works to keep VM's that you really need.
Why don't you just use Hullomail?

Thats free and has an iPhone app

(No I don't own, have shares or otherwise in said company)

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
nm figured it out. I now have vv without an att iphone data plan! thanx!

qnc

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
You can also use google voice.
I don't know how much storage you can have for the voicemail.
I have been switching passing out my google voice number.
Voicemail stays as long as you keep your account.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Ok, I have a 16GB iPhone. But only like 200KB of voicemail maxes out Visual Voicemail.

If I have 15GB free on my iPhone why does Voicemail not use all of that? (or at least some of that)

I'd figure that even 2GB of compressed on mp3's could store every voicemail for like the last two years.

Lame.
Yes because the touch tone guessing game was much better. Get real, its a ground breaking feature.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Bingo.
Email the voicemails and save them on your computer.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
I have to say that Hullomail is a great alternative to visual voicemail for anyone who has dropped their data plan, unlocked, or needs to save voicemails. I am very happy with the product and hope they never charge for it (would defeat the purpose IMO)

MacManG4

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Just curious. Why do you need to store so many voice mails for so long anyway? I don't know your situation, but I generally listen to my voice mail and then delete it.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Is there any good options to get your voicemails transcribed and sent to your email?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Generally I don't even listen to them before I delete them...
Yes, and I thought that was the point of Visual Voicemail. For me it's what makes it most decidedly not "blow."

OP: Tell me, just how much Voicemail could you save in your old non-visual voicemail box? And how long could you save them? Two weeks? Get real.

schwell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Yes, and I thought that was the point of Visual Voicemail. For me it's what makes it most decidedly not "blow."

OP: Tell me, just how much Voicemail could you save in your old non-visual voicemail box? And how long could you save them? Two weeks? Get real.
Q: You know what else blows?

A: The internet, automobiles, jets, cell phones and indoor plumbing. Take me back to 1890.:rolleyes:

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I'm wondering where the voices mails in the DELETED section are stored? Are they on your phone or still on AT&T's server?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Visual voicemail is a great feature.
Way better than the old system where you gotta enter a pin and then hit 1 to listen and 3 to delete and listen to voiceprompts etc...
Exactly

I love VVM
It is one of the best features about the iPhone to me

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'll be honest, I have never ever hit the wall with Visual Voicemails... and I used to have 13 in there on my 1st Gen.

And for the record, Visual Voicemail is one of the things that sold me in the 1st Gen iPhone. It was a new, innovative and exciting feature to have.