Vizio Products

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rick snagwell, Jul 7, 2011.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

Wanna get some input from others...

http://www.vizio.com/review/product/list/id/288/category/64/

-----

I bought this TV 46 days ago, went out on me last night. Talked to a tech on the phone, and he stated the mainboard has gone bad, and that they will get a on-site repair tech within 14 days. Which is a horribly long time for a new customer i think.

So, does anyone think I should just say screw vizio products and return it, or wait on the repair tech and just think i might of gotten the bad apple.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

14 days to get a tech on site with a replacement part... that's a damn sight better than some people who buy super expensive LCDs only to have them break, and send them to the manufacturer for warranty repair / replacement - end up waiting 6 months only to get it back with the problem still there. These are name-brand displays, no less. And they had to pay shipping, too.

Considering that the TV or any of it's parts are not made in the US, and the parts are likely coming straight from across the pond - that time frame isn't too bad at all. Especially if it's an on-site repair.

Now if it blows up 46 days after that...

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

some products have a higher failure rate than others.
    Sometimes its just that model year or a particular screen.
    Sometimes one factory is using different parts at different factories or from a different supplier.
    I swear by dells, others have had horrible experiences, I haven't.

Panasonics have had issues with the G,V 10 plasma lines. The next generation doesn't have those issues.

Some apple logic boards go bad, some even experience multiple logic board failures.

Today it seems to be hit or miss, IMO.

Vizio make some solid products.

Where did you buy it?

If you are asking about their customer service, well 14 day may seem excessive, however that might be their standard message.

4. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

thought vizio was american...im sure most parts are foreign though.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

If that set was made out here - then we now know why it broke! ;)

I'm all for American jobs, however the cold reality is that we're not in the game any more, outside of a few key markets. LCDs and consumer electronics are not one of those markets.

I'll buy you a coffee if more than 15% of that sets components were actually made here. I'd venture to guess that - maybe - the low-tech heavy parts (metal chassis, VESA mount) could have been made here - but outside of that, would impress me.

The only things at my desk that were made in USA, is the desk itself, the water inside my Chinese water bottle, and the hairs stuck inside my keyboard...

6. laurenr macrumors 6502a

We have 3 Vizio TV's in our home, and they have performed flawlessly.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think you just got a lemon, but I would return it and try my luck again with another Vizio. It should be easier and shorter than waiting for a tech guy to come out.

8. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

great input guys...thanks. keep anymore coming!!

9. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Here in Canada we can only get refurbished Vizios via TigerDirect. My sister-in-law owns one and it's great. Fantastic TV for the price.

Beyond that, I've only heard good things.

10. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

so i returned it this morning...just going to get another from a different store and hope its not a lemon!

11. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Great idea! Honestly, for the price, the quality of the picture, the design, etc is really fantastic. I'm also loving the Internet Apps you can load on it.:) I had a TV repair man here a few weeks ago, fixing our aging Sony, and he commented on what a great product the Vizio TV is.

12. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I almost bought a Vizio TV back in the spring of 2010. But the reason why I didn't was that the 42" models I wanted at the time (SV420M and M420NV) had a bit too much "yellow" color in the default settings for the TV. I ended up with a Sony KDL-40EX500 40" and am satisfied so far. :)