Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vizio today announced that the Apple TV app will be rolling out to some of its smart TV models "later this summer," suggesting that the app should be available by no later than the end of September in the United States.

vizio-smart-tv.jpg

When available, the Apple TV app will allow owners of select Vizio smart TVs to stream Apple TV+ shows and movies, use the à-la-carte Apple TV Channels feature, access their iTunes libraries of movies and TV shows, and buy or rent more than 100,000 shows and movies from the iTunes Store. It is unclear exactly which models will be supported.

The Apple TV app is already available on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC, Apple TV, select Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices, and select Samsung and LG smart TVs.

Sony will also roll out the Apple TV app later this year, according to Apple.

Article Link: Vizio Says Apple TV App Coming 'Later This Summer'

Reactions: teezy

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I have nothing against Vizio, because if you are going to buy a TV for its smart features than it should be cheaper.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
That's good news. We have Vizio TVs in our house only, was hoping to upgrade an older LCD TV to one of these one with an Apple TV app built in. Too much tied up in iTunes to move on.

However, when is Apple going to release the updated Music and TV apps for Android devices and gaming consoles? I would love to use my Xbox One S instead of my Apple TV 4K.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Which problem are you experiencing?

A recent firmware update now prevents the TV from powering off when a CEC connected device turns off. For example, when I put my Apple TV to sleep, it will turn off my receiver but won't turn off my TV anymore.

It's a known issue that vizio has acknowledged on their support site but haven't fixed for month.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
A recent firmware update now prevents the TV from powering off when a CEC connected device turns off. For example, when I put my Apple TV to sleep, it will turn off my receiver but won't turn off my TV anymore.

It's a known issue that vizio has acknowledged on their support site but haven't fixed for month.
Don't think I ever had a TV with CEC that ever worked for the off side. Turning things on always work for turning on the TV, but never off.

Reactions: topdrawer

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Don't think I ever had a TV with CEC that ever worked for the off side. Turning things on always work for turning on the TV, but never off.

Same for me until I got this Vizio (P55-F1). It worked great for about a year and then a firmware update broke it.:( Now I’m just using my harmony again.

Hopeful that there is another update in the pipeline to fix it, but I’m not expecting one. It’s another generation older after the 2020 releases today.

CEC is pretty slick when it works, but I agree it’s very dependent on what devices you have.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011

Thought so. I've got the same issue. P65X-G1. I either use the TV remote to power off, or it self-powers off in ~10 mins. I've never connected the set to wifi, so not sure whether I'm on the latest firmware or not. I figure most everything works well-enough, so no need to expose it to updates.

Reactions: mnsportsgeek

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Thought so. I've got the same issue. P65X-G1. I either use the TV remote to power off, or it self-powers off in ~10 mins. I've never connected the set to wifi, so not sure whether I'm on the latest firmware or not. I figure most everything works well-enough, so no need to expose it to updates.

Ya yours is a model year newer than mine (2019 vs. 2018), so you might have shipped with the bug.

Anyways, not a huge deal. I just loved it when it worked.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I hate it when companies do the “coming soon” announcements. Just means they have no concrete plans and want to boost sales in the interim. Case in point: Apple AirPower and Linksys HomeKit support.

Reactions: liberte1776

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I hope Apple has plans to release Apple TV app to older SmartTVs?

You would think a 2018 Sony would have it but nope.
So I'm left waiting for a new dedicated physical Apple TV box.

Reactions: scottlitch

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009

I think it’s up to the TV manufacturer who gets the app. I’m sure they’re trying to use it as a way to leverage more sales while also supporting recent purchasers. 2018 seems to be controversial. Some are adding it back that far (Vizio) and some are not.

Reactions: satchmo

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I stopped using my Samsung apps on the TV after Alex Jones was deplatformed. I used to get Alex fed to me on the YouTube app. That stuff was hilarious.

Now I have a desktop computer hooked to my TV. No more apps.

Reactions: liberte1776

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Just hope that I get it on my V656-G4 and that it doesn't crash the tv like the Netflix app does every so often

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio

I've got a Sony Bravia OLED 65" A1E. I would love to see them add this app and HomeKit Support to the TV.

Reactions: satchmo

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I would still kill to live in a house as gorgeous as that though. Looks like it's surrounded by a forest anyway.

My youth sees clean lines and my age sees nose-prints, dust bunnies, and bird/hail targets.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Am I the only one who wants an actual Apple TV sets?

I also vaguely remember there were rumours of Apple TV sets with Router function built in. Dont know what happen to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.