Vizio SmartCast TVs to Gain Support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. acegreen macrumors regular

acegreen

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

As of 3rd quarter 2018 Netflix hard around 137M subscribers. It’s profit for that quarter was around $400M. How in the world is Apple going to maintain the kind of profits it has now with subscription services. Google makes most of it’s money from advertising. Amazon from AWS. Microsoft it’s their cloud business as well as Office 365 (and maybe still Windows). The majority of Apple’s current services revenue is the cut they get from IAP plus iCloud plus AppleCare. I can’t see video or news/magazine services generating the kind of profits their premium hardware business does.

3. truthertech, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019

truthertech macrumors 68000

You have it backwards. Apple is strengthening the ecosystem. Apple doesn't make, and isn't likely to make its own TV, so this is a great enhancement for those people who want to stream directly from their Airplay devices to the TV sets that Apple owners have. Just like with Airplay for speakers which Apple has done for years, and which enables owners of Apple devices to stream to many different speaker systems that they may own.

This is an ingenious move by Apple to easily make its upcoming Streaming business available to more people immediately without having to buy an Apple TV, and then switch over to an ATV for an even better experience.

4. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Good to see Apple open it up. I use Chromecast a lot of my tv and apps that support it.

5. citysnaps macrumors 601

I'm probably missing something about AirPlay...

If a new smart TV has AirPlay built-in, and there is no ATV involved...what will be sourcing video to the TV over AirPlay?

My laptop as I'm doing work and other tasks on it?

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I have 2 TCL TVs with Roku. Interface works really well. If the new Apple is sticking its content everywhere then I hope they bring it tk Roku too.

7. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

I guess the question is is what processor they put in them. I've had a handful of Smart TVs that have apps... but they were no good to use because they were very slow to load... and crashed a lot. To be able to really eliminate the Apple TV... They need to be faster and reliable.

8. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Don't you also have to have a newer TV though?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2019 ---
    They don't want to become another Blackberry. Ya snooze, ya lose!

9. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

You mean we might be able to do more than control a lightbulb or a wall plug-in? :D

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Per the article:
    Seems to be a choice of whatever device you want to use.

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Want to be included
    in our beta?

If you have a SmartCast-enabled VIZIO TV and an updated iOS device, you could be selected to participate in the beta.

12. twolf2919 macrumors member

I think the OP's point is the same as my initial reaction: the main reason to buy an ATV vs. the much cheaper streaming competition was its ability to do AirPlay2 and its integration with your iTunes library & photos. If the TV itself can now handle all of that, why buy an ATV? The ATV still has "applications" that some of the other streamers lack - and that's why the ATV is becoming popular with cable providers as sort of a virtual "cable box" - but most folks are probably happy with Netflix/prime/hulu/etc. which are all available on either the TV too or on cheap streamers.

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

14. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Per Rene Ritchie, they prototyped a TV twice, but never got to an end-product they felt would work in the market.

15. citysnaps macrumors 601

Probably for the same reason Apple got out of the commodity WiFi/router and laser printer markets. There's a ton of excellent and very capable TVs out there at extremely low prices.

16. jljue macrumors regular

I guess that I soon won't have to Homebridge to my Roku TV's and then have an Apple TV 4 or 4K connected for Airplay 2 support, although I just realized that I still might need Apple TV 4 or 4K for HomeKit hub. I don't have any HomePods yet because I am still trying to determine my direction with audio with Airplay 2 support in the new house, since not all sources are necessarily available via streaming online.

17. twolf2919 macrumors member

You make good points - but I don't agree with the last one - Apple Watch potentially displacing the iPhone. Not a chance. The watch is purely a companion device to enhance (and thus help sales of) the iPhone experience/functionality. Same as AirPods. I'm saying this as someone who thinks his Apple Watch purchase was the most life-improving change he's made (lost 20lb since buying the first one - I'm on Series 4 now). I can't stand using Siri on the watch - I don't even like answering calls on it. Holding up your watch for either activity seems retarded, not to mention tiring. AirPods provide a much more natural interface for audible interactions (phone calls, Siri). Similarly, AR glasses that are sure to come (the point of ARKit surely wasn't to drive clumsy AR experiences on the iPhone) will provide a more natural experience than having Siri ask whether to display a calendar on a nearby TV....at least once AR glasses are ubiquitous :)

Neither the watch nor AR glasses have the physical dimensions necessary to drive sophisticated experiences. Battery tech is simply not good enough - nor will it be in the foreseeable future, IMO.

18. scorpy2643 macrumors newbie

Sometimes I feel like the only person that likes the ATV4K. We have 3 of them now throughout the house. They are our primary viewing boxes since we use PSVue for our "cable." They are reliable little buggers. Also, with little kids, it's so nice to use my airpods to watch tv after they are in bed. One Airpod for me, one for the wife.

19. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

I'm so glad I didn't get froggy last year and spring for a new TV. I'm really happy with my 2015 M43, aside from it not having HDR and wishing it was a 55".

20. citysnaps macrumors 601

thanx... That's certainly flexible. But I still think I'd rather have a dedicated ATV sourcing material with its unified interface, and, not needing to tie up/mess with another device.

21. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

I've long learned that the phrase "plans to add HomeKit support" coming from any manufacturer is generally worthless and best ignored. Never, ever should it be allowed to influence buying decisions.

(and yes, I did also post exactly this in another thread)

22. twolf2919 macrumors member

...as long as it doesn't have Apple's horrid remote control. Easily the worst thing about my Apple TV 4k. I don't know where they got the UX guy from that designed that piece of ****. While the original remotes (1st-3rd gen ATV) were a bit small, at least you could tell which side was "up". I pick up the new one and start "selecting" and nothing happens - because I'm holding it upside down. I have stopped counting how often something happened on-screen - because the remote slipped under my a$$ and I started clicking with my rectum :-( And someone answer me why turning off the TV/ATV should be a 3 step operation (go to main screen, hold a button for a few seconds, select "sleep")??? Utterly terrible design.

23. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

I like this a lot - it’s an effective replacement for chromecasting in the iOS ecosystem, especially with companies implementing it in existing models.

Here’s to hoping my new LG gets it.

24. jljue macrumors regular

My current house has only 1 TV installed, so I haven’t added the ATV4K to the current lineup since I also have an ATV4. I like the fact that ATV has Ethernet, since I believe that all permanently installed items should have Ethernet and not be wireless when possible for reliability. With TV manufacturers adding AP2 and HK, it does seem to change the planning on whether ATV is required for anything other than HK hub and whether HomePod is sufficient for hub duty. There are plenty of Bluetooth devices that require ore than 1 hub in larger homes, which I know is the case in the house currently under construction.

25. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I like the fact that Vizio keeps updating their TVs. I'm currently using a Harmony Hub for my entertainment system.

I walk into my office and say "Alexa, turn on TV" and my TV, Receiver and Cable Box come to life. I can then say "Alexa, turn on Apple TV" and it switches input and wakes my Apple TV. Best of all, I can use its remote instead of the horrible Apple remote.

It seems like over time that good vendors like Vizio, help to simplify the process. It would be nice to have all that functionality handled by the equipment itself via Alexa.