Vizio to Mini Mac

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sidney7935, May 16, 2012.

1. sidney7935 macrumors newbie

I want to connect my Vizio TV to my Mini. The manual for the Vizio says connect a computer to the RGB PC connection. On the mini I have a mini display port available, the standard computer monitor is connected to the DVI port. What do I need. I am getting confused with the terms. Also can I have both the monitor and TV connected at the same time to the Mini?

2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

need the exact model number of the vizo also what mac mini do you have.

you can hook up 2 monitors to some minis not all.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

How old is your Mini and how old is the TV?

Surely the tv must have hdmi or even VGA inputs? RGB, lol.

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

You need a display port adapter. Display port on one end, whatever connection you're supposed to use on your TV on the other end.

5. sidney7935 thread starter macrumors newbie

Vizio TV to Mac Mini

Thank you for jumping in right away. Yes the Mini is 2 years old and has two video out puts, DVi and mini display port. Yes the Tv is 2 years old and has 4 hdmi inputs.
    I bought a cable that has mini display port on one end and HDMI on the other. But when I connect to the Mini the TV says no signal, Yes I selected the correct HDMI port on the TV. Sooo, I grabbed the Vizio manual and it says use the RGB PC port on the TV what resembles a VGA. Is it a VGA, I dont want to buy the wrong stuff again.
    Lost in New Orleans
    Sid

6. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Not doubting anything you've said, but I have used a MINI and VIZIO of about the same vintage with no problems. Used a Mini Display port to HDMI adapter.

7. theSeb, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

This should work, but I've found miniDP to HDMI to be a bit flaky and some adaptors work and others do not.

This is also something to bear in mind as it's talking about your cable:

http://www.t3.com/news/mini-displayport-to-hdmi-cable-not-licensed

I think you have a 2009 Mini with a mini DVI connection. You could try a miniDVI to HDMI convertor

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PTC-Mini-DVI-Adapter-6ft-Macintosh/product-reviews/B001H0REVK

----------

You're right, but not all miniDP to HDMI adaptors are built equal. Some work as expected and some don't.