Vizio's 2019 Smart TVs Now Available With AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support Coming This Summer

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 21, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Vizio today announced that its 2019 smart TV models with forthcoming AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support are now available at various retailers in the United States, including Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, Target, and Walmart.

[​IMG]

The lineup includes high-end P-Series, mid-range M-Series, and lower-priced V-Series models. All of the TVs are 4K HDR, with prices ranging from $259.99 for a 40-inch model with under 400 nits brightness and a 120Hz refresh rate to $3,499.99 for a 75-inch model with 2,700 nits brightness and a 240Hz refresh rate.

Vizio says AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support will roll out "in the coming weeks" in line with its promised "summer 2019" timeframe, but both of the features have been available for participating beta testers since last month. Support will extend back to select Vizio smart TVs released in 2016, 2017, and 2018.

AirPlay 2 support will allow users to stream videos, music, photos, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, and Mac to supported Vizio smart TVs, complete with lock screen controls. HomeKit support will enable users to easily control the TVs using Siri voice commands or the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Vizio's entire 2019 lineup comes equipped with SmartCast 3.0 software, providing access to services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Vudu, iHeartRadio, Xumo, CBS All Access, NBC, and more. SmartCast 3.0 also includes Chromecast, Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa integration.

AirPlay 2 support was also added to Samsung's latest smart TVs last week, with LG and Sony planning to add support later this year.

Article Link: Vizio's 2019 Smart TVs Now Available With AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support Coming This Summer

2. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

It should be noted that this post is nothing but: Vizio launches 2019 lineup of TV's.

When their support for HomeKit/AirPlay comes later this year, its coming to all SmartCast-enabled TV's...which is not just those launched today.

3. Sasparilla, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019

Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Always best to consider smart TV's as user monitoring devices these days and its much better to plug your network cable (or setup WiFi) into something outside the TV if you want to avoid that (Apple TV perhaps?) - trusting settings on the TV the mfr can change without your knowledge isn't a great bet (cause its more money for the Mfr's if they betray your trust and just do it).

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/7/14527360/vizio-smart-tv-tracking-settlement-disable-settings

Here's an interview with Vizio's CEO: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/1...o-tv-bill-baxter-interview-vergecast-ces-2019

4. paulgriffinpetty macrumors newbie

paulgriffinpetty

Headline:

Vizio's 2019 Smart TVs Now Available With AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support Coming This Summer

Or:

Vizio's 2019 Smart TVs With AirPlay 2 soon and HomeKit Later

The first paragraph along with that headline are little confusing ...

5. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Only issue with Vizio is that they still do not support Bluetooth headphones!

6. hermes16 macrumors member

I don't need Siri on my TV, My phone already answers questions from games shows when it's not active.

7. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

Got AirPlay 2 on my 2016 Vizio M-Series with a beta download a few weeks ago. Works like a charm. Really cool that they cared enough about 3-year-old TVs (and their customers) to do this.

8. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I had the beta on my 70" Vizio E Series and it worked for a short time. However I am also running a beta on my Xbox One and the two betas don't mix well together. So I restored my TV to its factory settings. I will try again later in the summer.

9. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I have a 2016 Vizio P series TV and it has a fantastic picture, but it is the most finicky TV I have ever had. It just doesn't play well with my other gear (Apple TV, Shield TV, Harmony remote and Denon receiver), constantly coming up with the wrong HDMI port on power up, getting stuck, going to sleep or switching to their stupid watch free service that can't be turned off. I'll be switching to another brand on my next TV.

10. Vasilioskn macrumors 6502

Vasilioskn

If I have an Apple TV , a smart tv is not necessary right ?

11. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Made in China ::= +25% tax coming this summer with Homekit support.

12. JDHiro macrumors regular

JDHiro

I was hoping for these to come in a little less expensive. Oh wait, I’ll wait for blowout deals on the 2018 P Series

13. Zachari macrumors regular

Zachari

I am in the same position, but sometimes I am too lazy to turn on my Apple TV... so it might come in handy.

14. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

You don't have to use the smart features, but you'd be hard pressed to find a TV that isn't smart. I'd prefer a dumb panel. Nobody sells them anymore. I understand why they don't. I just wish they did.

15. joueboy macrumors 68000

Airplay for me is just a convenience and even though I have AppleTV and I don't know why it's slow to load despite having an Airport Extreme AC network. Not ideal for big files but for a photo or a short videos taken with my iPhone XS and wanna show it to somebody that's work perfectly. Other than that streaming has a lot of limitations

16. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I was having the same problem. My TV would not connect with my Denon receiver. I did a factory refresh and that seems to have fixed both. I did the same on my Denon and updated the firmware. I have both connected via ethernet directly to the modem so they can run updated regularly.

17. sos47 macrumors regular

sos47

Panasonic Displays do. We have those in our Office. They are just panels with 2 HDMI and USB support

18. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Tariffs/Taxes are not good for all parties, the consumer, retailer or the manufacturer.

If you require something immediately that has tariffs, the consumer pays more as the retailer has to cover those extra costs. It’s a discussions for another thread, however my best advice is if you can wait till the extra taxes are removed the better for you.

Much prefer one open standard for streaming rather than Cast, AirPlay, etc. I was under the impression that DLNA was the answer.

19. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Hmmm. Might have to look a bit closer at these and check some reviews.

Looks like a nice panel, but B&H has it as a special order that is noncancelable and nonreturnable. ← That right there? That's a nonstarter. :eek:

20. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Are the Vizios getting the Apple TV app also?

I just picked up the 50" V505-G9 yesterday at Walmart. $328 for a 50" 4k TV that is supposedly pretty usable as a 4k monitor. Pretty silly how cheap these 4k TVs are now.

21. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Mine always eventually connects, but sometimes requires powering off a time or two. I haven't tried a factory reset. The other annoying thing is when it switches resolutions the screen goes black for several seconds. Not that big of a deal, but mildly annoying.

22. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Oh boy. I mentioned that I just bought the Vizio V505-G9 from Walmart. The V-series is Vizio's new entry-level model (it's apparently similar to the older D-series, but with Dolby Vision, which I think was part of the E-series). Today I went through some trouble to get a mount set up that I was planning to use. I installed everything, then plugged in the TV, pressed the power button on the remote, and...nothing. Tried pressing the power button on the back of the TV...still nothing.

Tried reconnecting the power cable several times, to make sure it was secure...still nothing.

A brand new TV, straight out of the box, and it doesn't turn on. Very concerned about the quality level of Vizios now. So now I have to decide whether to chalk it up as a one-in-a-million bit of bad luck, and exchange it for another one (14 day return window at Walmart, BTW...I thought it was 90 days), or if I should really worry about the quality level of Vizio products, and just go ahead and return it completely, and buy a different TV.

I really wanted this one to work out, because I bought a tabletop articulating mount that claims to support up to 22 lbs and this 50" Vizio weighs in at about 21 lbs, which (from my research) seems to be the lightest 50" TV out there.

23. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Correct. But good luck finding a non "smart" TV these days. They pretty much only sell dumb panels to enterprise these days and at same or higher cost as a smart panel :/

And as exemplified by the sharp panel up above they are intended for display advertising only and as such has no support for things like dolby vision, dimmable zones etc.

24. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I will NEVER buy a product from this company after they seriously violated the privacy of 16,000,000 customers. Vizio settled a class action lawsuit filed after it was discovered their smart TVs were logging everything watched on the TV (cable, streaming services, DVDs, etc.) and that information along with personally identifiable information was being sold to advertisers. The FTC described Vizio's actions as selling customers viewing habits to advertisers and others without their consent or knowledge. The $17 million dollar settlement Vizio paid out was trivial for the level of violation they committed against their customers.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/vizio-settlement-moves-forward/