VLC for iOS pulled down?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iamimaz, Sep 18, 2014.

1. iamimaz macrumors newbie

I'm currently unable to download VLC from the AppStore after the iOS8 update. VLC for iOS isn't showing up. Has it been pulled down from the App Store or is it just me?
    Even if it's not available on the AppStore anymore, is there any other way I could get it? Its the app I use the most...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vlc-for-ios/id650377962?mt=8

2. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I think it was removed, I don't see it in my purchase history no more. Good thing I have a copy of it in iTunes.

3. iamimaz thread starter macrumors newbie

That seems to be the issue. It's not showing up on my purchase history either. How can it be banned? When did Apple ban VLC? & Why hasn't it received any press?
    I loved the app, was the best video player. Gonna miss it bad. :(

4. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

I don't know, the same thing happen a few years ago though, maybe the same thing happen http://9to5mac.com/2011/01/07/vlc-for-ios-removed-from-the-app-store/

5. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

No press on this? Vlc website still displays it as on the App Store

6. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

Appears to have been pulled since the iOS 8 release. Seems like quite a few people can't find it in the app store.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewforum.php?f=36

7. mcsmith1981 macrumors newbie

I have the same experience. I've successfully restored it from iTunes though. If you did a backup at any point since you originally downloaded it, you should have no issue doing the same.

I hope it's not gone for an extended period again. It's so damn good and I was looking forward to seeing how they might even improve on it in future.

With the A8 in my iPhone 6 I'm now streaming HD content from my NAS. The 4S didn't have enough power.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I am wondering if the VLC group pulled it as they get it ready for iOS 8?

9. iamimaz thread starter macrumors newbie

I emailed VLC Support and apparently they're "working with Apple on a solution" according to Felix Paul Kühne (Developer of VLC's ports to OS X and iOS)

10. macmacguy macrumors regular

I hope they'll be back soon.

11. mcsmith1981 macrumors newbie

Any suggestion what the issue might be, since it works perfectly on iOS8 as far as I'm concerned?

12. iamimaz thread starter macrumors newbie

No idea. It's just gone.

13. questionmark32 macrumors regular

I installed it from my iTunes to my iP6+ and the audio is missing from all my videos. Anyone else have this issue?

14. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

VLC comes and goes so often, I'm sure this is just another "rule" they broke. Luckily I could restore it from iTunes.

15. questionmark32 macrumors regular

Are you having an issue with your audio on ios8?

16. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

No, but then again it could be the audio codecs you're using in the container.

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I am! It won't work with mkv files, but it worked fine with an avi file. :\
    I dunno what the issue could be. They didn't play this smooth, but the audio worked on my iPhone 5 with iOS 7..

18. firecore macrumors 6502a

firecore

19. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

found this post - https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=121721

by mluisbrown » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:45 am

20. iamimaz thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like a reasonable excuse for being taken down from the AppStore. Hope they'll bring it back soon.

I've been using Infuse all these days. It's good and gets the job done but not as effective as VLC when it comes to functionality & ease of use.

21. iamimaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you can.
    Plug in your iPhone and open iTunes. Transfer purchases. And then sync your iPad. Make sure that VLC is checked in the applications tab while syncing your iPad.

22. theturtle macrumors 6502a

I was freaking out as well but then I found infuse, which is pretty snazzy tbh.

Im just curious on what the differences between the two are though.

23. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

A more simple way than what the OP suggested is to copy the ipa via iTools to your desktop unplug the iPhone and plug the iPad drag and drop the ipa and you're done.

24. iamimaz thread starter macrumors newbie

There's definitely significant changes that you'll notice over time. VLC was much more effective than Infuse. For example, you will not be able to play HD MKV files without paying for the pro version.
    But, if you've paid for Infuse Pro the differences between the two are close to nothing. If you turn on 'Dark Mode' on Infuse - it even looks exactly like VLC.

25. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I use VidOn Player HD (free) and nPlayer (4,99 dollar) which are also pretty good in support a lot of video files. Infuse 3 (9,99 in-app purchase) seems the best (can also use online srt subtitles automatically) but I don't have that one.