Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Zodttd announced that he has ported the popular VLC media-playing software over to the iPhone and iPod Touch.
What is vlc4iphone capable of? At the moment it may be limited by only a small handfull of decoders, but soon that list will grow! It currently allows you to drag and drop the following popular media formats onto your iPhone/iPod Touch for playback: MPEG / MPG,AVI,MP3.
The author is currently researching adding support for VCD, DivX, WMA and WMV, with support for FLAC and OGG formats coming "soon". The application is currently under beta testing but a public release is planned soon. The application requires a jailbroken phone for installation.

VLC is a popular cross-platform media player that supports a large list of audio and video formats.

Article Link

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
This is EXACTLY, EXACTLY why I am excited for the SDK. This is going to be amazing, I love VLC and couldn't live without it on a Mac.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Um, I don't think Apple will be to thrilled about WMA support...

Think this will ever find itself on a 'non-jailbroken' iPod/iPhone?

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
god i just want to have firmware 2.0 unlocked :D but vlc is just another great awesome thing for the iphone :D no more converting woo hoo hope it works with safari and all that

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
I would like this to be an back end to the regular built in player. I would like to be able to play all formats via the regular interface.

Ps I also going to need 128GB flash. :)

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
damn xvid support would be huge. ssh the video and play without converting.:apple:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I would love this for video streaming. Keep my iMac on at home, watch my films on my iPhone via 3G. I'd like that.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Does the SDK allow write access to the main media memory in the first place? As in, would you be able to sync the files without jailbreaking in the first place since iTunes won't let you?

Without that, there's not much point being in the app store. Though a streaming realplayer would be real nice…

Phazer

jay794

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2008
This is awesome, does it mean we can use it online? like watch Youtube videos without using the iPhone program?

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
This is sweet. I've been using VLC for 4 years now -- good to see it will be mobile soon.

BetaBoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Not to pimp (as I am a VLC user as well)... but CorePlayer Mobile for the iPhone will be available on the AppStore soon after its launched. See the video demo from back in Feb. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-Vp3IVjbg

It will support:

Audio: MP3, MP2, WMA, AAC, MKA, Midi, WAV, APE, OGG, Speex, WAVPACK, TTA, FLAC, MPC, AMR, ADPCM, ALaw, MuLaw, G.729, GSM

Video: H.264 (AVC), AVCHD, MKV, MPEG-1, MPEG-4 part 2 (ASP), DivX, XviD, WMV, MJPEG, MSVIDEO1

Containers: Flash/FLV, Matroska, ASF, ASX, AVI, PS, M2TS, TS, 3GPP, MOV, MPEG-4, OGM, NSV

Streaming: HTTP, UDP, UDP Unicast, RDP, RTP. RTSP, RTCP (keep alive), ASX, ASF, Multicast, HTTP Tunneling

Also we are adding an embedded RSS Reader and and Twitter Component for the iPhone launch. The staff here at CoreCodec will be at WWDC doing demos... if anyone wants to get together for us to show it... just send me a PM.

sebastianlewis

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2007
San Francisco
Um, I don't think Apple will be to thrilled about WMA support...

Think this will ever find itself on a 'non-jailbroken' iPod/iPhone?

Apple would have no reason to disallow this unless they wanted to be jerks and lock people into using MobileTunes instead. :eek:

There is one good reason for not doing this and that's the fact that there's no hardware decoding for anything besides H.264 and it'd probably lead to reduced battery life, but that should be the end user's decision, not Apple's.

Sebastian

Ryon

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
I imagine this will suck batteries like there's no tomorrow (and possibly make the device rather warm?), but it's definitely great for people who want the option of using other codecs. Thumbs up.

Has anyone heard about Perian being developed for the iPhone/touch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.