Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Is it just me or is this very high? I started using GeekTool yesterday so it might be related to that. How can I fix it?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I am not sure exactly how VM works, but mine is always huge too. All I have done since I booted my computer 20 minutes ago is surf the net, and my VM is over 100GB as well. So there really isn't a need to worry about it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is it just me or is this very high? I started using GeekTool yesterday so it might be related to that. How can I fix it?

It's no problem. That's comparable to your bank giving you a million dollar overdraft; you don't have to pay interest on that, only on money that you actually borrow.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mine's 166gb.

What is there to fix. The OS is working as expected. One great thing about OSX is its memory management. If you start trying to "fix" it, then you may start running into issues.

Let OSX do what its designed to do and not worry about it.

macbook yes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Good. So does GeekTool slow down my computer, or am I just noticing it because I'm looking for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.