VMware Fusion Beta 4 released

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by netnothing, Jun 7, 2007.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Nice find, got this email from them today

Edit: Installed, as stated in a previous thread i had problems with bootcamp recognition. Works now.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Working fine on MB C2D with XP Pro + Vista Transformation Pack. Unity windows seem slow to refresh when dragged but no worse than Parallels in Coherence.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Seems good, at least it is working for me. Will have a play around more when i have finished my exams.

One point with my system and with unity running Word 07's orb or whatever that blob at the top left hand corner is called, is continually flashing amber even when it has focus or not. Rather annoying.

Edit: Wait a minute. If i am in unity and close all the applications i can no longer do anything at all with it. All the useful menus, such as single window view etc., are greyed out, Launch applications is empty. Just had to quit the application and relaunch to get back to a normal state. Everytime I think VMware is getting thee against parallels i find a bug that means I can't use it, just hope the brutal shutdown for the 2nd time hasn't corrupted my bootcamp partition. Although i have a recent winclone backup so it would be alright.

6. keenkreations macrumors regular

Ha take that Parallels! Seriously, saw this on TUAW and I hope that this is a better replacement to Parallels. After reading the thread on that...it seriously made me question that software.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

We used to run VMware Workstation on a couple Linux boxes at work, several years ago. It was a life saver! I haven't used their support help recently; but back then it was always quite good. My experiences with Parallels' support... well as I mentioned elsewhere, they don't actually seem to have support people as far as I can tell. :rolleyes:

I've only run VMware Fusion beta 4 for a few minutes, but I'm quite happy with it. I'm looking forward to the release!

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Unity doesn't work for me. :mad: I opened an Explorer window and a Firefox window, clicked "Unity" and the VM just vanished entirely — no windows open. If I go to the Virtual Machine Library window and doubleclick the VM, it brings up a window with just a black screen. If I suspend it and then bring it back the window returns to normal and I can use the VM again, just not in Unity mode. (and yes I have the new VMware Tools installed)

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Did you reinstall VMtools?

LOL! You beat me to it! :D

10. frojas macrumors newbie

Did you upgrade the VMware tools on the VM? You need to do that and then restart.

11. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Did you upgrade VMware Tools?
    http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/releasenotes_fusion.html#using_Unity

Then reboot?

-Kevin

edit: Beat me to it as well:D

12. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I downloaded and installed this on my MacBook Pro but I'm having a problem with the XP activation. I activated XP via Bootcamp and it works fine. But when running the VMware Fusion with the Bootcamp install it states that I need to activate the copy of windows again, which I cannot do.

I thought that by using the Bootcamp install it avoided this. Any suggestions or tips?...as I cannot use VMware Fusion with my Windows XP install until I resolve this.

Thanks!

13. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

WOW!! Just wow. After being fed up with Parallels and their shady support, I thought I'd give VMware Fusion a go. I can say that I am extremely impressed from the first minutes of using it.

XP seems "snappier" now™ ;)

Scrolling with the mighty mouse is smooth and Unity + Expose is amazing! Window dragging/moving can be a little smoother though, but Parallels 2.5 (3188) wasn't any better.
    It's still too early to commit to a final judgement, but I'm very much liking what VMware is offering. Competition is good...

14. sev7en macrumors newbie

sev7en

I got it but anytimes I try to active Fusion using the given activation code, it says that the code is not valid. I required several codes by VMWare but all unsuccessful. Does anyone knows this issue?

I'm with the Italian version of MacOSX 10.4.9 and a MBP 17" C2D.

Thanks

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It should have a floating app launch window...I use QuickSilver anyway, and that is great for launching apps, even windows ones :)

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I must be missing something obvious...

How do you "turn on" Unity? I've installed the latest Tools, but Unity's greyed out in the View menu and toolbar. I can't find anything in Preferences or the VM's settings either.

17. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Just got around to downloading Beta 4...

VMWare is so much better than my experiences with the ever-buggy Parallels. I just wish it had come out sooner so I hadn't built up my XP image inside of Parallels. Hopefully there will be an easy converter to convert the parallels images to VMWare ones.

Unity is a bit misleading, though, in that it doesn't support dual monitors and so it's not 'truly integrated' into the Mac OS X desktop metaphor. And toolbars that are pinned (even with auto-hiding on) to the edges of the Windows desktop are always visible. Other than that, though, it's very much like Classic.

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try restarting Windows :)

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

20. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Upgrading the VMware Tools was all it took for me - did the upgrade, rebooted, and Unity was functional.

Perhaps try updating the tools again...?

21. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i'm tempted to try out fusion.

is unity as smooth as the this vid? how well does file sharing work between OS X and XP?

22. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Tools are installed, VM had been rebooted twice. However, I just saw this on the site:

"Unity — The seamless way to run Windows applications: Run Windows XP applications alongside your favorite Mac applications"

Is it possible that it's not compatible with Windows 2003?

24. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Unity is XP SP2 only. I tried, it doesn't work with Server 2003.

25. hidehide macrumors 6502

Why does the Unify button not enabled? Is it because it doesnt support vista yet??

Anyway, now the vista runs much faster than the previous version.. thats great..