Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiteQwill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Host: OS X 10.5.4
Guest: Windows XP

Ok, here's my issue.

I currently tether my Blackberry to my Guest machine so I can access the internet while traveling (OS X is impossible to tether with my Blackberry Curve, I'm sure some of you know). With this, I'm only able to use XP programs at this time.

I want to be able to have the Host use/share this internet connection so I can use Safari, Mail, etc.

How do I do this?

My current (traveling connection) is:
Blackberry 8320 tethered to the Guest via Bluetooth
Uses a dial-up connection via the Blackberry modem

Thanks everyone!

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
[...]I currently tether my Blackberry to my Guest machine so I can access the internet while traveling [...] I want to be able to have the Host use/share this internet connection so I can use Safari, Mail, etc.
Share Windows XP Guest Internet Connection with OS X Host HOWTO

OS X is impossible to tether with my Blackberry Curve
I tether my BlackBerry 8830 with my MBA regularly, it works both Bluetooth and USB. I've set up other people's different BlackBerry models on Verizon and Sprint on a variety of Macs over the last few years as well. What's the issue you're having that leads you to think it's impossible?

NiteQwill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
There is documented efforts to tether 8320. Apparantly there are no scripts that work with the 8300 series.

Edit: The above doc doesn't work for me. Since I use my BB to tether, there is no ICS due to it being recognized as a dial up modem. I tried the above doc several weeks ago to no avail. Thanks though

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Edit: The above doc doesn't work for me. Since I use my BB to tether, there is no ICS due to it being recognized as a dial up modem. I tried the above doc several weeks ago to no avail. Thanks though
I did this myself with my BlackBerry (sharing its "dial-up" Internet connection in a VMware-hosted ICS environment) before I realized I could tether in OS X. Why can't you set up ICS with your dial-up connection? I used to do it with a "dial-up" ISDN TA in the distant past too with Windows 2000 without issues.

I did not try this, but here's an article showing how to tether a BlackBerry 8320 via Bluetooth on a Mac. Maybe something in there will help you? If you post step-by-step what you're doing to tether and where it fails, I may be able to help as I've tethered various BlackBerries to various Macs once I understood it could be done.

NiteQwill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I did this myself with my BlackBerry (sharing its "dial-up" Internet connection in a VMware-hosted ICS environment) before I realized I could tether in OS X. Why can't you set up ICS with your dial-up connection? I used to do it with a "dial-up" ISDN TA in the distant past too with Windows 2000 without issues.

I did not try this, but here's an article showing how to tether a BlackBerry 8320 via Bluetooth on a Mac. Maybe something in there will help you? If you post step-by-step what you're doing to tether and where it fails, I may be able to help as I've tethered various BlackBerries to various Macs once I understood it could be done.
Mr. Zarniwoop,
I really appreciate the help! The above method worked. The problem in the past was I could not find a script that would work on the OSX 10.5. You basically solved a problem that I've been having for almost a year now. Thanks! It works great and now I can use the internet on the OSX side. I always hated using XP....

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Mr. Zarniwoop,
I really appreciate the help! The above method worked. The problem in the past was I could not find a script that would work on the OSX 10.5. You basically solved a problem that I've been having for almost a year now. Thanks! It works great and now I can use the internet on the OSX side. I always hated using XP....
Hurray!

Windows on Mac is great, but it is always nice to find ways to do things in OS X.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I know Windows Mobile devices can tether via WiFi with an app (WMWiFiRouter) that makes the phone a "mobile hotspot" and you can even put WEP, WPA on it, etc. or just leave it open for the public. The funny thing about this is that you don't even need a tethering plan because it just uses the data plan.

You can get one of these to solve you OSX / BB problem. It worked for any laptop/desktop as far as I've seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.