Voice Dictation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CharlieBrandt09, Mar 15, 2012.

1. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Anyone find any in-depth reviews or video reviews?

I am curious as to how it will handle punctuation, grammar, etc. especially on longer paragraphs and what not.

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

You'll need to speak punctuation. It's also better over long dictation but do try and keep it under 1 paragraph at a time. Most of the time it will also take out any ahs, uhms, and ohs when you're speaking.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I imagine it will work the same as it does on the iPhone. I use it all the time.

I have dictated whole paragraphs, but I find when I do that, I pause and perhaps say "uh" or stumble over a word as I'm gathering my thoughts, and so I then have to go back and clean up the paragraph (still faster than typing the whole thing).

So, what I do now is dictate a couple of sentences at a time, and that works well for me. Punctuation is easy. You just say:

Punctuation is easy period However comma you may have to practice a bit for some of the more obscure items semicolon for example comma when you want to use all caps in a word period.

4. CharlieBrandt09 thread starter macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

So you'll have to say "I like to eat bacon (comma) eggs (comma) and toast for breakfast (period)"?

How does it know you don't want the words comma and period in your sentences?

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, that's the way.

It just does. Magic. LOL

Now, try to dictate a sentence where you actually want it to spell out the punctuation word. That's a challenge!

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes.

They wrote the software to delineate the words into punctuation.

7. CharlieBrandt09 thread starter macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

Great! Thanks for your help. I have barely used it on my iPhone 4s, so I wasn't sure of the process.

What if you make a mistake? Can you delete a sentence/word through the voice capabilities?

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm going to hate having to say the punctuation mark. You think they would've figured out a way of inserting them based on normal speech patterns, but hey...

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

On the iPhone 4s it handles it real well, even driving with background noise and low-volume music. I'm pretty impressed tbh. I hope iPad 3 users get the same experience.

10. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

It's been designed this way since voice dictation was released back in the early 90s I think. I'm still upset there's no "Magic Word" since I'm too lazy to push the damn button.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not sure as I've never tried or heard of doing that. But what it does, is check your grammar and if it thinks it's wrong, it will underline the word/phrase in blue and you can tap on it to see the systems suggested replacement word/phrase.

12. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Can the voice dictation be used without an internet connection?

13. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If it's using the Siri servers then no. Most of the time I end up using Dragon Dictation because I don't want to use data for voice recognition.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No; at least on the 4S it requires an Internet connection. I am going to assume the iPad will be the same way.

15. cipad macrumors member

It can not. Just read about it in some review (sorry, forgot where).
    The "translation" is done on a sever, not the iPad.

16. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Early voice dictation was TERRIBLE. You had to read lengthy paragraphs to the application to train it to learn your voice. Even then, its success ratio was awful.

There is very little in common with current voice dictation and the early stuff.