Voice Dictation

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
Anyone find any in-depth reviews or video reviews?

I am curious as to how it will handle punctuation, grammar, etc. especially on longer paragraphs and what not.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
You'll need to speak punctuation. It's also better over long dictation but do try and keep it under 1 paragraph at a time. Most of the time it will also take out any ahs, uhms, and ohs when you're speaking.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I imagine it will work the same as it does on the iPhone. I use it all the time.

I have dictated whole paragraphs, but I find when I do that, I pause and perhaps say "uh" or stumble over a word as I'm gathering my thoughts, and so I then have to go back and clean up the paragraph (still faster than typing the whole thing).

So, what I do now is dictate a couple of sentences at a time, and that works well for me. Punctuation is easy. You just say:

Punctuation is easy period However comma you may have to practice a bit for some of the more obscure items semicolon for example comma when you want to use all caps in a word period.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
You'll need to speak punctuation. It's also better over long dictation but do try and keep it under 1 paragraph at a time. Most of the time it will also take out any ahs, uhms, and ohs when you're speaking.
So you'll have to say "I like to eat bacon (comma) eggs (comma) and toast for breakfast (period)"?

How does it know you don't want the words comma and period in your sentences?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yep, that's the way.

It just does. Magic. LOL

Now, try to dictate a sentence where you actually want it to spell out the punctuation word. That's a challenge!

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
Great! Thanks for your help. I have barely used it on my iPhone 4s, so I wasn't sure of the process.

What if you make a mistake? Can you delete a sentence/word through the voice capabilities?

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I'm going to hate having to say the punctuation mark. You think they would've figured out a way of inserting them based on normal speech patterns, but hey...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
On the iPhone 4s it handles it real well, even driving with background noise and low-volume music. I'm pretty impressed tbh. I hope iPad 3 users get the same experience.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
It's been designed this way since voice dictation was released back in the early 90s I think. I'm still upset there's no "Magic Word" since I'm too lazy to push the damn button.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What if you make a mistake? Can you delete a sentence/word through the voice capabilities?
Not sure as I've never tried or heard of doing that. But what it does, is check your grammar and if it thinks it's wrong, it will underline the word/phrase in blue and you can tap on it to see the systems suggested replacement word/phrase.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
If it's using the Siri servers then no. Most of the time I end up using Dragon Dictation because I don't want to use data for voice recognition.

santaliqueur

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
It's been designed this way since voice dictation was released back in the early 90s I think. I'm still upset there's no "Magic Word" since I'm too lazy to push the damn button.
Early voice dictation was TERRIBLE. You had to read lengthy paragraphs to the application to train it to learn your voice. Even then, its success ratio was awful.

There is very little in common with current voice dictation and the early stuff.