Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I want a voice/sound recording app so i can record either calls, or even as a journalist’s voice recorder to record speeches etc. Is there such an app that you have used and are happy with?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The included voice recorder app from Apple can do the latter. Call recording isn't something that is supported in iOS (not without jailbreaking or going through some call service or something else like that).

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Call recording isn't something that is supported in iOS (not without jailbreaking or going through some call service or something else like that).
Aren't there apps that can record calls?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Aren't there apps that can record calls?
Not in stock iOS, at least not perhaps first routing those calls through somewhere else that might allow for recording (like Google Voice or something similar).

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What do you mean by "not in stock iOS"? You mean that there isnt an Apple app inside the iOS? If so, im not really interested for something free, i can settle for a 3rd party app. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do you mean by "not in stock iOS"? You mean that there isnt an Apple app inside the iOS? If so, im not really interested for something free, i can settle for a 3rd party app. :)
iOS as it is from Apple (as in stock) doesn't have or allow for 3rd party apps to record calls. Jailbroken iOS can allow for something like that through some tweak. Alternatively if calls are routed through some other service that might make it possible to record calls if that service supports it.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im sorry but im mixed up. Take it from the beginning... i want to record a call, is this possible?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Im sorry but im mixed up. Take it from the beginning... i want to record a call, is this possible?
Not without either jailbreaking and using some tweak that would do it or routing calls through some service (like Google Voice or something else of that nature) that supports that as part of that service.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
In Android, there is an app called "Record My Call" i was using. I wonder, how come that works?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In Android, there is an app called "Record My Call" i was using. I wonder, how come that works?
Because one is Android and the other is iOS. Different systems have different things that are part of them or exposed to the user or even allowed.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
But i dont get it why isnt there an app for that? What might be the problem?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is there a way round this? Please reply in plain English because im an amateur if the reply gets too technical! :)
As posted earlier:
Not without either jailbreaking and using some tweak that would do it or routing calls through some service (like Google Voice or something else of that nature) that supports that as part of that service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.