voicemail from 1970!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Sep 5, 2008.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

my voicemail has gone crazy, check out the pic.
    and every time i delete them they come back!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. kis macrumors 65816

cool, what do they say? I'd be very interested in tomorrow's lotto numbers - perhaps you can get your phone to receive future voice-mails.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Wow, Deja Vu all over again. Someone on another forum a few months back was getting texts from 1970. I guess it's more common then I thought.

So, next time they call you, tell them they are so 1970 and they need to return to reality.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Are the messages in 70's Jive talk? if not I think you just have a problem with your phone, the messages are not really from 1970. :D

5. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Interesting! The time displayed is considered the epoch for unix systems. I guess that makes sense as the iPhone uses a modified version of OS X. I would also expect that this is a bug in the iPhone not the AT&T mail servers.

6. slate1 macrumors regular

Here's the transcript from my 01/01/1970's message... and I can hear jet engines in the background, strange:

Jivemn2 : S'mo fo butter layin' to the bone. Jackin' me up. Tightly.
    Attndnt : I'm sorry I don't understand.
    Jivemn1 : Cutty say he cant hang.
    Woman4 : Oh stewardess, I speak jive.
    Attndnt : Ohhhh, good.
    Woman4 : He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him.
    Attndnt : Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine.
    Woman : Jus' hang loose blooood. She goonna catch up on the` rebound a de medcide.
    Jivemn2 : What it is big mamma, my mamma didn't raise no dummy, I dug her rap.
    Woman4 : Cut me som' slac' jak! Chump don wan no help, chump don git no help. Jive ass dude don got no brains anyhow.

7. yellier35 macrumors newbie

haha, nice airplane reference!!

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Classic film... timeless... I might actually go watch it now

9. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

so what do i do?? apple store?? i know this is kinda funny but my phone ain't working right. I've emailed that wiki page to myself incase the genius at the store thinks I'm talking crap!!!!!!!!

10. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

That's crazy, we didn't even have voicemail back in 1970!! Maybe it is from you after you went back in time...12 Monkeys

11. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Sounds like the clock in the iPhone is either getting bad data, or not working.

Go to settings-general-Date & Time and switch off "Set Automatically". That will stop the phone from getting time info from the cell network. From the Apple iPhone tips & tricks website:

Code:
    If iPhone is set to update the time automatically, 
    it gets the correct time over the cellular network, 
    and updates it for the time zone you’re in.

Some carriers don’t support network time in all locations. 
    If you’re traveling, iPhone may not be able to 
    automatically set the local time.

Don't forget to set the clock!

iPhone will still sync the clock when synching to your Mac or PC.

iPhone tips & tricks:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/tips/

Make a Web Clip of it on your iPhone...

:apple::apple:

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Visual Voicemail doesn't get its info from the phone clock. The time stamps come directly from the voicemail server.

The same is true of SMS, and some people have noted getting messages "from the future."

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I believe the time in iPhone OS is stored as seconds since 1/1/1970; hence if the voicemail "time" is zero, that's the date it'll show.

For some reason, the voicemail data has been corrupted/zeroed out.

14. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

so is this an iPhone bug or an o2 bug???

15. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Nope, it's the Y2K-30 bug. Don't you know nothing? :D

16. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Are any of the voicemails about the Army of the 12 Monkeys?

17. TheBearman macrumors 6502

My guess, and really that's all this is, is that the file information for the voicemail entry header is somehow damaged.

I'm sure the time of the message is provided by the message server. As someone already stated, in unix systems (which is what the iPhone runs) time is tracked as seconds since epoch, or Jan 1, 1970.

To present that time correctly these seconds are translated. Like I said, I expect the header holding this value is incorrect/damaged.

What can you do? Well depends on where the problem is. I can't picture this as a hardware problem. A hardware failure having this type of effect would cause other issues (beyond simple time translation). Is there a problem with the iPhones OS? Hard to say, however I would expect a hard failure of the time/date function to effect all aspects of time and date reporting. It could be a problem with the voice mail specific code on the phone, but is seems interesting that it is affecting only a small number of users.

Could it be the server? Again possible. If the provided information to the phone is already corrupt/damaged not sure if the iPhone could do anything about it other than reporting what you are seeing.

Try sending some test messages/voice mails and see the effect. I really don't know enough about the transfer of this information to know if the time data could be damaged in transfer, again possible. You might also consider a restore of the phone in case there is a problem with the phone OS (although that is a little extreme).

Another interesting aspect of this is that the caller is listed as unknown. That seems to support the damaged file header belief. Have you tried to listen to these? Do you know the caller? Just wondering if they are valid or not.

Edit:
    I just noted that you indicated that you have been trying to delete these and they keep coming back. If that should happen following a hard reset/restore of the phone I would contact AT&T and ask them to clear your inbox for you.

18. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

thanks for the very informative post bearman. first thing is I live in the UK so it's o2 not at&t.
    second thing is the voicemails do not say anything at all, third thing is I've restored my iphone 3 times this week!! Have had nothing but hassle with this one(my second 3g) crashes all the time, will not sync with itunes, apps not opening etc.
    going to take it to the apple store and see what they say!!!!!

19. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

been stuck on this for 15 minutes

Attached Files:

20. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Well if they keep coming back after the restore, call O2.

As for the hang during install, only app that has taken more than 10 minutes to install was Amblance because of it's size. As for app crashes, I'm really hoping that 2.1 will address this. For now I haven't added or updated any of my apps. No syncing, nothing.. just leaving it alone. So far it is behaving (fingers crossed!).

I hope the Apple store folks can assist.

Cheers.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is really strange. I've never had that happen to me.

22. andejp12 macrumors member

I'm just wondering if they're actually voicemails that you've received and the incorrect date has been stamped on them from AT&T. My guess is that it's not from them but you never know. I think that some of the other people posting though have hit on the correct idea in that it's using Unix's default zero time.

23. Fashiondude macrumors newbie

For the history bit

Check on Internet , voice mail invenoe died in 1960

24. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

+1 Exactly right diagnosis I believe