Void iMac Warranty to Upgrade Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GraphicsGeek, Mar 20, 2010.

1. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Here's my dilema. I have a 2009 24" iMac with a 640GB hard drive. I want to upgrade it to a 2TB and have the ability to do so. The problem is that the LCD underneath the glass in the top right corner is slightly damaged. Im not sure how it happened being that my iMac hasnt left my desktop since I bought it. Anyway, I had planned on buying AppleCare before the warranty is up and was going to have them fix the LCD. BUT, if Im not mistaken, upgrading the hard drive would void the warranty. I really dont want to void the warranty seeing as I had planned on buying AppleCare but I really want the 2TB hard drive. I had planned on taking my iMac to my nearest Apple Store sometime soon but, being as I am a graphic designer, being without a computer is bad for business. So Im just looking for some opinions. Should I void the warranty and upgrade the hard drive and not buy AppleCare and ignore the blemish on the LCD? The blemish is noticeable but not a distraction. It looks like some pressure somehow was put on the top right corner and theres a slight hairline crack and some discoloration around the area. I want the big hard drive because I have an almost 1TB iTunes library and right now its on an external and is slow. I want to have my full library on the internal and use the external to back it up.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Fortunately iMacs with LCD screens don't have any dangerous voltages (once they are unplugged).

3. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I'm in almost the identical boat.
    Same computer & HD a& want to goto 2T.
    Any recommendations on hard drive?

4. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

I have two Hitachi Deskstar 2TB drives and they're solid and fast. Look up benchmarks if you really want to know how they compare to others.

As far as the warranty issue, I googled and oogled and still can't find any definitive answer. i would email Apple try and get it in writing if they say you can or can't. Then post the letter here for ALL to see :D

Heres a link:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=639581

or two:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=556492

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Both of those threads are over a year old. See the links I posted in this thread for Apple's official statement about warranty.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The general opinion is that if you break something while doing it, it will void it but otherwise it won't. It's recommended to put in the original parts if you send it to repair so Apple can't whine about that

7. rumorguy macrumors newbie

and the answer is?

ggjstudio's more recent link to apple warranty still does not say you can replace hard-drive; ram, yes. :apple:

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Just to add to your thought, the newer iMac User Guides specifically says that RAM is the only user-serviceable part.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

11. slimjim1968 macrumors newbie

Well, that is NOT true. It clearly states in the APPLECARE AGREEMENT TERMS that is only limits due to damaged CAUSED by, not because you opened it up:

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
    installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
    Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or
    humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical
    power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

Damage to the Covered equipment caused by ..... Maintenance done by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service.

This means if you DAMAGE it, then its not covered but if you replace your drive and then 2 months later the main board or Super Drive goes bad, they have to cover it.

It doesnt matter what they say is serviceable buy customers. It matters what the APPLECARE AGREEMENT SAYS :)

Hope that helps!

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your first and only post in the forum, and you use it to spread misinformation! First, the thread is talking about the Apple Warranty, not AppleCare, but both say the same thing:

From the Apple Limited Warranty:

From the AppleCare Protection Plan:

It absolutely matters what Apple says is user-serviceable, since all other modifications will void the warranty or AppleCare.

13. slimjim1968 macrumors newbie

First of all, I didn't know that being my first post with this ID makes my information wrong.

Anyway, Applecare is the warranty since that is what you get when you purchase it and that is what you can extend. Applecare (the warranty) says its doesn't cover DAMAGE CAUSED by the upgrade if you are not authorized (ie... its not user serviceable). You have to read the language!!

It does NOT say it voids and it does NOT void the warranty, it does void it if you damage the unit when performing the upgrade.

Open the unit and damage the screen, they won't cover it. Open the unit and replace the drive, they will not cover the drive but they rest of the unit is covered.

The Language is CLEAR!!!!!!!!

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the "AppleCare Protection Plan" is NOT the same as the "Apple Limited Warranty". That's why Apple gives them two different names, with two different agreements, posted on two different locations on their website. Just follow the links I've already provided and you'll discover the truth.
    Yes, the language that I posted from both agreements IS very clear, if you know how to read. Yes, if you replace a part that Apple says is user-serviceable, such as RAM, and if you damage something in the process, it's not covered. That's a completely different issue from replacing a part that Apple says is NOT a user-serviceable part. That's why there are two separate statements in both the Apple Limited Warranty agreement and the AppleCare Protection Plan agreement, to address both issues of unauthorized modification (installation of non-user-serviceable parts), as well as damage caused during installation of user-serviceable parts.

It's clear to those who can read the agreements and understand them. If you have difficulty with that, just call AppleCare, and they'll tell you the same thing, without you having to read.

15. slimjim1968 macrumors newbie

We can go back and forth but you still have NOT showed that it voids the warranty. If you cause damage they don't cover it. It you modify the unit outside of its intended use, they won't cover it. If Apple doesn't intend for Hard Drives to be used, then I guess you are right. In my opinion and I think in any reasonable opinion, replacing a drive does not qualify as modification "in a manner for which the Covered Equipment or software is not intended to be used or modified"

I think I have proven my point, but just for the record, there is no way they would know you put a bigger drive in anyway. There are no seals you have to break...

Do you void your warranty on a dell if you add a drive or replace a drive? NO. Even on their AIO's

Common sense and the legal document backs it up. If you don't know what your doing, don't do it. If you do, then you'll be fine.

16. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Warrenty will void

Opening the case WILL void the warrenty. Youll need the warrenty if anything super important needs to be replaced. If ur warrenty is voided, apple will still fix it but youll just hav to pay for it.

As for the hard drive...why dont u just simply get an external hdd, format it via disk utility, install mac osx on it & boot up onto it while holding the option key? Thats what i do with one of my ext hdd.

17. slimjim1968 macrumors newbie

So.... Since YOU say so, then we should just take that as fact. I am tired of this topic.

The WARRANTY (NOT ME) says you it will not cover the unit if you Cause Damage. It does NOT ANYWHERE SAY YOU ARE NOT COVERED IF YOU OPEN IT UP.

It you replace the drive and then later on down the road your Motherboard goes bad. IT IS COVERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief. I am not making this up. Its IN THE DOCUMENT ON APPLES WEBSITE... I posted it...

18. GGJstudios, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Upgrading iMac Hard Drive Voids Warranty/AppleCare

From the Apple Limited Warranty:
    From the AppleCare Protection Plan:
    No where in either of those quotes does it mention the word "damage". It's the modification that isn't covered, not just the presence of damage. That's why Apple says this about RAM:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946
    This means that anything that Apple says is not "user-installable" IS considered a modification, and is therefore, excluded.

From the iMac User Guide (Mid-2010):